SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 08, 2006, 10:13 PM
Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
183 Posts
Discussion
Wing building tips, tricks, advice!

I'm board, just figured I would start a thread for the advanced wing builders to post their Tips, Tricks, and Advice on building wings along with electronic set-ups, pictures of wings, and your opinions of who has the best wings!

Here is the first question...Which is best to start flying a wing with, brushed or brushless?
toyotatruckin is offline Find More Posts by toyotatruckin
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2006, 01:19 AM
It's been a while.
Irvine, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,690 Posts
I'd say brushless, because as a beginner, I know I needed that extra power that the sp 400 on 8 cells couldn't give.
And it is pretty hard to smash a motor in a standard flying wing.
Daniel G is offline Find More Posts by Daniel G
Old Jan 09, 2006, 12:00 PM
Git-R-Done
Rich Hill, Missouri_USA
Joined Aug 2004
879 Posts
I agree with Daniel G, GO BRUSHLESS.
Pictued below is my Zagi 400x 48" wing running a 150 watt Brushless Outrunner powered by a 3S 4000mah LiPoly. Zagi AUW 28 oz - goes vertical running a 9x6 APC prop.

Hermitt
Hermitt is offline Find More Posts by Hermitt
Last edited by Hermitt; Sep 30, 2006 at 12:25 AM.
Old Jan 09, 2006, 03:12 PM
Striving to Rip the Bring
San Diego, socal, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, the Orion arm, Milky way, Universe
Joined Apr 2003
6,320 Posts
Don't buy a zagi is a good beginning.

--Alex
raptor22 is offline Find More Posts by raptor22
Old Jan 09, 2006, 04:12 PM
BlueGrass Rules
United States, IL, Dahlgren
Joined Nov 2003
1,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor22
Don't buy a zagi is a good beginning.

--Alex
mando is offline Find More Posts by mando
Old Jan 09, 2006, 06:08 PM
Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
183 Posts
Here is the start of my sickle, glued the wings togather with shoe-goo last night! Ill post pictures of my motor and esc with specs to get opinions if it will work on this wing or not this evening.
Old Jan 09, 2006, 08:01 PM
Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
183 Posts
Here are the specs of my motor

Tower pro BM2408-21 outrunner
WEIGHT - 46g
BATTERY - 2-3LIPO, 7-8 Nimh
KV - 1750
PROPOLLER2LIPO9*4 / 3LIPO8*4
CURRENT - 1.8A-13A
VOLTAGE - 7.2-12.6

And the esc is a castle creations thunderbird 18amp
I was going to put this on my SS but if you guys think it will work well on my wing let me know save me some chips!
Old Jan 09, 2006, 08:59 PM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,381 Posts
My Number 1 tip.......

Keep your fingers out of the prop when you launch!

CTF
CenTexFlyer is online now Find More Posts by CenTexFlyer
Old Jan 10, 2006, 09:51 AM
Robots... robots everywhere
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Jan 2003
2,060 Posts
Don't allow the "That little bit of tape won't add much weight...." mentality to get you!
minifly is offline Find More Posts by minifly
Old Jan 10, 2006, 11:54 AM
Balsa is my friend
Jersey shore
Joined Feb 2005
517 Posts
Here`s a tip from a newbe. Take your time!
My first Sickle was built in a day and flew like it.
My second Sickle took two weeks and flys like a dream.
infinitemass is offline Find More Posts by infinitemass
Old Jan 10, 2006, 09:29 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,359 Posts
Use a small router or a dremel tool as a router to route out the servo, rxer, battery compartments. Also with a straight edge to route spar slots.

Pot you servos with epoxy - i.e. after you cut the servo compartment, wrap your servo in a plastic baggie, spread epoxy in the servo compartment and bed your servo in the epoxy. Once it hardens, pop the servo out and your servo should pop back in with no slop. A dab of goop will hold it inplace.

On a large wing use standard size servos. They're cheaper and are stronger than the little light weight ones. They stand up to hard hits on the ground of in combat. It sucks to have to dig out a servo after a crash.

Keep you wing beds. Use them to protect your wings while not flying.

Use thinned goop on the nose and leading edge to keep the EPP together better when you crash.

Nip the excess control horn screws so they dont catch on something and break off or dont scratch you when you try catching the wing.

Bury your rods.

Once you get the thing flying, move the CG back to reduce the elevon reflex till its almost gone. Keep moving the CG back and if you have to reduce the Elevon ATV (if it gets twitchy) till you have little or no down elevator when inverted.

Make sure the elevons are even and move the same distance up, down, left and right (symmetrical).

Mount the control horns so the holes where the control rod clips to are directly over the hinge line other wise you'll build in asymmetric throws.

Dark color on the bottom, light color on top.

Dont be a wuss when you throw it for the first time (like me). Give it a good throw so it gets good flying speed.

If you've never flown the wing and arent sure, let some one with experience trim it out for you. There is no shame and you'll learn to flyit faster and better.

Make sure your channel is free before you turn on your TX. I didnt once and I shot down someone else plane. Good thing the other guy was cool about it.

Turn on you TX before your plane and turn it off after you turn on your plane. Dont want stray RF to turn you motor on.

If in doubt ask someone. It'll save you time in the long run.

Have fun.
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Multicopter News
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:34 PM
Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
183 Posts
great Info rockbus question for ya.? What do you thin goop or shoegoo with?
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:56 PM
Life is Good!
Germany
Joined Apr 2005
1,200 Posts
I thin goop with xylene...available at most good hardware stores and Home Depot's around here....The stuff I use is Ace Hardware brand. I understand Toulene works as well. Do a search for "thinning goop" and you''ll find a lot of good info--like the link below. BTW, I recommend you use a respirator when thinning and working with goop. The stuff is pretty potent. Don't thin it in the kitchen... I have a slope version of the sickle and it flies rather well. I'm anxious to see how yours flies on the BM-21.

Tank

Thinning Goop
Tank52 is offline Find More Posts by Tank52
Last edited by Tank52; Jan 10, 2006 at 11:03 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 11:43 PM
Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
183 Posts
Great! I like the idea of thinned goop on the LE would make it stand up a little better! As far as my build Im in no hurry as I dont have any servos or receiver for it yet I think im going to go with HS81's and electron 6 am I right in thinking that 1750 KV is 1750 rpm per volt?
Old Jan 10, 2006, 11:46 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,359 Posts
Tank's link is primo.

Also to give credit where credit's due, all of my tips I got somewhere on RCGROUPS. I didnt invent them.
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by rockbus; Jan 10, 2006 at 11:52 PM.