HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2006, 10:34 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,519 Posts
Discussion
B-24 Liberator Anyone?

Well I was over at my Buddies house tonight with the camera and had to snap some pics of his latest project. Doug Cohen is the builder.

He is building a B-24 Liberator, that I hope Dare will be kitting. This one is a Mike Midkiff design and man is it beautiful.

Doug has sheeted the entire plane for glassing and painting, but normally it is intended for built up and covering. It looks amazing.

Here it is all in the ....

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by pda4you; Jan 23, 2006 at 09:10 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2006, 10:36 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,519 Posts
He will be painting this soon - but as you can see it is fantastic looking.

He is putting two IPS motors in the outboard motors, and two small brushless outrunners on the inside motors. It should provide plenty of motivation.

It seems the B-17 always gets the glory, but this plane sure has character. Much less led, so what a great chance to have the "other" ship!

I will get him to try 3 blades after the initial test flights. Should add a great deal of realism.

Very impressive.

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2006, 10:45 PM
clumsy thumbs
Lincoln, NE
Joined Dec 2003
1,015 Posts
Holy cow, that is beautiful. I love the Libby. Interesting setup mixing brushed w/brushless. What's the wingspan?

BTW, if you're a B-24 fan, you should readThe Wild Blue by Steven Ambrose. I read it a couple of months ago. It's a great book about Liberator crews.
shakysticks is offline Find More Posts by shakysticks
Old Jan 09, 2006, 12:03 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Aug 2004
2,364 Posts
I love it!

Any chance this beauty would fly on 4 cheap brushed motors? Like 4 IPS or IPS twin or 4 J-250?

I see there is seam line on the wing mount. Is the wing removable? What is the wing span, weight ...etc?
shschon is offline Find More Posts by shschon
Old Jan 09, 2006, 01:21 AM
Vertically challenged.
Peachland B.C. Canada
Joined Nov 2002
352 Posts
Wow, that is nice!!!
I got a chance to do a wreck dive of a B-24 off the coast of Australia. That was fantastic!! Such a shame to see something like that rotting away on the ocean floor.
Good luck with the maiden.

Kevin.
vise101 is offline Find More Posts by vise101
Old Jan 09, 2006, 07:49 AM
"Have Glue - Will Travel"
Ft. Worth, Texas
Joined Jan 2004
2,428 Posts
Mike,

That is a real beauty that Doug has shaping up there. I know that John and I will be lining up to get it on video It's hard to believe there's only one restored B-24 left in the entire world that's in flying condition Consolidated B-24 Liberator

Keep the pics coming!

Ronnie
dawnron1 is offline Find More Posts by dawnron1
Last edited by dawnron1; Jan 09, 2006 at 08:02 AM.
Old Jan 09, 2006, 09:35 AM
Antwerp, Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
302 Posts
I must have missed something on this side of the Atlantic, but I thought that the Commemorative Airforce also had a flying B24...http://www.cafb29b24.org/diamondlil.shtml

grtz,
Frank
Frank_K is online now Find More Posts by Frank_K
Old Jan 09, 2006, 09:39 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shschon
I love it!

Any chance this beauty would fly on 4 cheap brushed motors? Like 4 IPS or IPS twin or 4 J-250?

I see there is seam line on the wing mount. Is the wing removable? What is the wing span, weight ...etc?
I think with the non-sheeted it would fly well on 4 IPS motors. Obviously he has not flown it yet however.

No question that he has added weight with the full sheeting and glassing. So I suspect he will need all the power he has on the brushless motors.

I will post the final weight when he is done. I also didn't get the specs, so let me ask him about those. Seems like the wing is in the mid 40" range....

The wing is removable.

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by pda4you; Jan 09, 2006 at 09:50 AM.
Old Jan 09, 2006, 09:41 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vise101
Wow, that is nice!!!
I got a chance to do a wreck dive of a B-24 off the coast of Australia. That was fantastic!! Such a shame to see something like that rotting away on the ocean floor.
Good luck with the maiden.

Kevin.
Yep I hear you, what is a shame is the ones they took, sat in the deserts and then chopped them up into little pieces! Makes me get teary eyed .

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2006, 09:45 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_K
I must have missed something on this side of the Atlantic, but I thought that the Commemorative Airforce also had a flying B24...http://www.cafb29b24.org/diamondlil.shtml

grtz,
Frank
Frank - I too like Ronnie thought the Collings foundation was the only remaining airworthy B-24, but I sure could be wrong. I know they recently re-painted it, as the nose art on "Dragon" although completely historically accurate was a bit much for a few at the shows. At any rate, considering how many flew it is a crime.

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2006, 08:19 PM
Dallas Meacham, Texas, United States
Joined Apr 2002
561 Posts
Mike here is a shot of the dragon nose art. Can't wait for Doug to finish this airplane! I am sure this will generate interest at any feild when it is flown !
johnathan
johnathan is offline Find More Posts by johnathan
Old Jan 09, 2006, 08:45 PM
Hernando,Mississippi, United States
Joined Apr 2003
735 Posts
Another one still flying.Tunica Air Races 2005.
xmech is offline Find More Posts by xmech
Old Jan 10, 2006, 09:11 AM
jollyroger
Central Lake, Mi.
Joined Nov 2002
1,025 Posts
Looks very nice. I hope the plane flies as good as it looks. Keep us posted with some more pics.
Warbirdkits.com is planning to produce a 70" B-24 This year(soon I hope) and I want to get one to model after the plane my dad flew in.
Their kit is designed to fly with GWS LPS power systems.
My dad was a nose gunner in a Lib and was stationed out of Northern Australia with the 5th Airforce.
John Z is offline Find More Posts by John Z
Old Jan 10, 2006, 12:19 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmech
Another one still flying.Tunica Air Races 2005.
Cool! Do you know who owns it? The Collings bird is around a lot of events, I have never seen this one....

What was the nose art on that plane, I can't see it well......

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2006, 07:20 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,965 Posts
Hey Mike,
Looks cool can you also find out or do you know who the vac formed co/pilot is from?
Thanks,
Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr