HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2006, 01:23 PM
Don't watch this...
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2003
5,583 Posts
Discussion
Mountain Models EVA Sport Thread....

INstead of piggy-backing on the EVA Bipe, this plane should have it's own thread.
I ordered a MM EVA Bipe and additionally received the Sport wing in the package. Built and flew the Bipe...four times before killing it (still don't know what happened...I guess it was me and a stall, but have a hard time believing that).
Figured, order another fuse and build the limitition edition Sport wing.
So here it is.
Ask anything about it.
HiMax 2025-4200
Cobri C box
CC25
11x8 APC-E
HS55s
Plenty of 3S2100 2200 packs to choose from.
18+ amps.

Goes stright up no problem.
Real sporty flyer in Sport cofiguration.

CooHead
CooHead is offline Find More Posts by CooHead
Last edited by CooHead; Dec 30, 2009 at 11:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2006, 01:35 PM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
Great Looking Model(s)!

I have the Sport kit sitting here ready to build. When I talked to Doug he described it as a much better Switchback Sport. Would you agree?
I noticed the elevator and rudder are failrly large. Is it sensitve on rudder and or elevator?

I have read through the instructions twice and it lools like an easy ad fun build.

Wes
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by 1987tc; Jan 18, 2006 at 08:23 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2006, 02:14 PM
Don't watch this...
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2003
5,583 Posts
Hey Wes, good to hear that MM got you one.

I've never had the SB.
Do have the DandySport and now GT wing on it. DS was my first balsa build. Maybe first 50 flights with Sport wing and last 300 flights with GT wing (it's my most flown bird by-far. Becasue it's great and becasue I can just hand launch it in the 300+ acres of crops at the end of my driveway . So, can't compare it to a SB specifiacally.

Compared to the DSGT, a lot heavier and bigger and more stable. Similar flight envalpoe, but bigger and stronger, hence:
Faster...by far. No flutter issues for me. And although I said I wouldn't WOT during a dive to try...I did. NP.
Vert is stright up and pretty strong...like accelerates up. The BL DSGT can go stright up...but only at one speed and it aint much and have to continually adjust. This goes stright up and can gain speed going up...a couple adjustments and it's already all the way up there.
DSGT has NO dihedral...this EVA does. Flys inverted real well with it, but the dehidral is influencing inverted flight.
DSGT cannot KE (to short a fuse). The EVA can...but, again, the dehidral presents itselfs and needs constaint aileron to hold it. Pulls towards the gear a bit in KE (but that is the prefered pull).

Another T&G netted a balsa "crack noise". Nothing found and it wasn't much of a noise, but twice now I've heard it...that'll be watched.

REAL floater. Cut throttle when it's over downtown and it'll float the mile back as an approach Often go around as I don't want to land it on the far end of the factory parking lot.

Ground handeling is great.

It tries to 3D, but the dehidral is again and influence.

Just some input there...yes it's a bit more twitchey on R&E...but I dial it out useing little EPA and bit of EXPO. I lean towards pattern more than 3D so like a smooth feel.

Coo
Old Jan 08, 2006, 02:30 PM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
I have had several Dandy Sports but not the 3d. The Switchback Sport flies a lot like the Dandy Sport. The Dandy Sport is a little more stable then the Switchback Sport. Even tough they share the same moments and wing.
I used a GBX in my last Dandy Sport and on my current Switchback Sport. I tend to build these light and hope to do so with the Eva Sport. I don't care at all about 3D and mainly just fart around. Closer to pattern also but not that organised!
I talked to Doug about the motor I want to use on the Eva Sport and he said it will fly it fine. Not vertical ( and that is fine with me) but not a problem. It is a GBX double at about 80 watts.
I will set the rates all on low to start and work up from there. All I am looking for is a nice sport model. Predicatable with out vices. Kind of sounds like a MM plane huh?

Wes
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phone number change.
Old Jan 08, 2006, 02:34 PM
TeamZiering
Chandler, AZ
Joined Mar 2002
1,859 Posts
Loved my EVA. Flew Knife edge fine, even without mixing. With my setup, I had it hauling pretty nice, but it was still able to slow down for 3D. I have a couple of EVA videos in my gallery. Here's one where I make good use of the V part. Some E too. But mostly V.

http://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/show...cat=500&page=1

Joshua
enigmabomb is offline Find More Posts by enigmabomb
Last edited by enigmabomb; Jan 08, 2006 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Added link
Old Jan 08, 2006, 02:58 PM
Don't watch this...
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2003
5,583 Posts
EB, you used the word "loved" as in past?... W
"Was" yours a Sport, Bipe or 3D wing?

I don't bother with videos at dial up speed, what is the E and V you are referencing?

Wes, it'll fly fine at 80w...not huge or fasat, but light wing load and floats fine so 80w will be enough. My 180w is on the upper edge of what it really wants/needs/can handle. But I think 100+ would be better.

CooHead
Old Jan 08, 2006, 03:00 PM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
Nice thing about it is that motor changes will be a snap!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by 1987tc; Jan 08, 2006 at 08:28 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2006, 08:16 PM
TeamZiering
Chandler, AZ
Joined Mar 2002
1,859 Posts
The video graphically shows me rolling out of knife edge, right into the ground (With a very nice thud) and then bouncing off the ground into a parked car on the opposite knife edge, With a better thud. Then flying away. Versatile. Extremely.... Lucky the owner of the car was not around.

I was running mine right about 200 watts peak, with VERY VERY judicious throttle management.

I'm not sure what wing mine was, it had dihedral and was a hershey bar. I think it was the sport wing.

I dumb thumbed it a number of times that lead to me using the term "was".

Josh
enigmabomb is offline Find More Posts by enigmabomb
Old Jan 09, 2006, 09:00 AM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,371 Posts
Josh had the 3D wing. There is a bit of dihedral on the wing to affect coupling. Josh, thanks for posting those videos. I wish I could fly half as well as you do.

Doug
CoClimber is offline Find More Posts by CoClimber
Old Jan 16, 2006, 07:21 PM
Watch This !!!
United States, FL, New Smyrna Beach
Joined Jun 2002
800 Posts
Finally !! Here is a photo of the EVA Sport. Doug was kind enough to send me the Sport Wing along with the Bipe kit that I ordered back in late August. I built the Bipe kit right away, see this thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=EVA+Bipe and then decided I didn't want to disassemble the Bipe to change the wings. I ordered another fuse kit and here are the results.

As with all MM's kits, it's another winner

Glenn
glenclif is offline Find More Posts by glenclif
Old Jan 16, 2006, 09:34 PM
Don't watch this...
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2003
5,583 Posts
Nice Glen.
How does it fly?
How the heck did you do those slashes on the wing tops?! Look great.

I've been flying mine a bunch. NPs.

Coo
Old Jan 17, 2006, 12:47 PM
Watch This !!!
United States, FL, New Smyrna Beach
Joined Jun 2002
800 Posts
Hey Coo,

Thanks for the compliment. I haven't flown it yet. I just finished the final touches this past Sunday, waited for the sun to shine and took pictues on Monday.

The slashes on the top of the wing are from www.edecals.com Kind of expensive, but they were the final touch for this plane.
The logo on the side is an inkjet water slide decal of the logo of my childrens school. Maybe they will let me fly it at a football game... Naturally, the schools colors are, dark red, white, and blue. It was my first experience printing a water slide decal, but I couldn't find any suitable clear sticky decal material like the kind that comes with some kits.

I'm very happy with the outcome, and there is no question as to how it will fly.

Glenn
glenclif is offline Find More Posts by glenclif
Old Jan 17, 2006, 12:57 PM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,767 Posts
I ordered an EVA 3D-really to replace the SB3D which is showing alot of age-though it still flies great.

Was thinking of using an A20 20L- anyone going with one of these for the EVA? I don't want to rip the wings off, just want a little reserve power .

-Jon
echoplanar is online now Find More Posts by echoplanar
Old Jan 17, 2006, 02:42 PM
Don't watch this...
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2003
5,583 Posts
Not familiar with the A20 20L....
Mine is Himax 2025-4200 in Cobri "C" gearbox 11x8 APC-E prop.
18+ amps nets 200ish watts and flys fine there. Well, of coarse it's fine and a little more than fine. As stated before, really more than it needs, but I like it like that.
Seems all my planes are percieved as "a bit slow" now that I have a 48,000rpm EDF Saber F86 that goes 70+MPH level flight and way faster after a dive.

Glen...no wheel pants or pilot?
I've found a pilot is a real nice finishing touch. With three little boys (3,5, & 8) and a playroom full of stuff, I can always find a pilot. Hence my SpiderMan and WalMartMan and WW2 fighter pilot guy.
The wheel pants on the other hand...such a pain to sand and cover. Look great I admit...but will only happen some rainey day when I bored.

Coo
Old Jan 17, 2006, 04:14 PM
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Nov 2003
1,524 Posts
It shoulda been a Bippy.
Herleman is offline Find More Posts by Herleman