SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 08, 2006, 02:20 AM
Zod
Joined Sep 2004
117 Posts
Discussion
Voyager Bell 230 Project: Complete!

Hey guys!

I finally finished my Voyager Bell 230 project (after receiving the fuse over a year ago from Cyberheli). Check out the pics!
Zod is offline Find More Posts by Zod
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2006, 02:35 AM
Malaysia
Joined Dec 2005
4 Posts
Wow... it's really looks like a real heli

Thanx for sharing
ahpu8000 is offline Find More Posts by ahpu8000
Old Jan 08, 2006, 07:21 AM
2013 GRAND SPORT CORVETTE
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,201 Posts
Now that is one righteous looking scale heli. Great craftsmanship.
Hoverup is offline Find More Posts by Hoverup
Old Jan 08, 2006, 09:20 AM
Will fly some day
Brampton, ON
Joined Dec 2003
361 Posts
Marvelous
willfly is offline Find More Posts by willfly
Old Jan 08, 2006, 10:01 AM
Your attitude is your alt
Nashville Metro, Tennesse, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,644 Posts
Beautiful work and paint job. I like it!

Gary
Gary Morris is offline Find More Posts by Gary Morris
Old Jan 08, 2006, 02:29 PM
King of The Moon
NYC
Joined Jun 2003
756 Posts
Awesome! Have you flown it yet?
ozoneone is offline Find More Posts by ozoneone
Old Jan 08, 2006, 03:56 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,210 Posts
Stunning work. May I ask how you made the body shell for it? And the windows too - I haven't managed to find the knack for creating complex-curved structures out of clear plastic - did you vacuum form them?

Seriously congratulations Sir!
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
Old Jan 08, 2006, 04:17 PM
Sponsered By My Wallet!
Colwyn Bay, North Wales, UK
Joined May 2004
5,559 Posts
Very nice!
Got any pics of it in the air?

Duane
Minimole is offline Find More Posts by Minimole
Old Jan 08, 2006, 05:01 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2003
4,747 Posts
yeah thats ok! are you joking! thats amazing, very nice .
will p3 is offline Find More Posts by will p3
Old Jan 08, 2006, 08:17 PM
Joined Jun 2004
233 Posts
Excellent job!!!

These fuselages are the very reason why I choose the VoyagerE and for the life of me I can not figure out why JR never exported these to the US. I have a ASTAR 350/Ecureuil fuselage that is still in the box and has been for three years. I was hoping to have the time to work on it this winter but it looks like it is going to be in the box a bit longer!

You should consider posting this beautiful piece of artwork on the forum at scalerchelis.com. That site is dedicated to scale R/C helicopters. The guys over there would be in awe of your work.

Hopefully you would consider sharing your techniques for building and the secrets behind turning the raw FRP fuselage into such a magnificent scale heli. I'm dying to know how you did the rivets, panel lines, windows, skids, and the scale detalis of the hinges and the wipers?
sj_sharks_fan is offline Find More Posts by sj_sharks_fan
Old Jan 08, 2006, 10:25 PM
Zod
Joined Sep 2004
117 Posts
Thanks for all the kind words guys. It actually took me so long to build and detail the fuse (I work long hours so can only get in a few hours of building on the weekends) that the VE itself has been sort of languishing away on the shelf for months on end. I took the mechanics out today to try to get everything up and running - I bought a lipo pack for her which needed to be dialed in, among other things. Those lipos are pretty intense after flying Nimh's for all these years! Anyway, I brought her up and she damn near shook herself apart - knocked off the wood blades, bent the flybar and snapped the rotor block at the base.

I was pretty glad I had decided to leave the fuse off for the first flight!

Anyway she is grounded until I rebuild the rotor head, hopefully with a Quick 15 head if I can find one for sale. As far as the build, I started with a Bell 230 from JR that I had bot from Cyberheli. I hated the stock landing gear setup so I used the skids that I had sitting around from an old A-star project. The rivets I made using a rivet kit, I believe from Starwood models. The scale details such as door handles, windshield wipers, aerials, etc, were ordered from Vario - most of their stuff is too big but some is usable as is or can be cut down.

The real fun - and challenging - part was the painting. I used Tamiya spray cans and an airbrush. I wanted to get a really deep clear coat so I sprayed numerous coats of Tamiya clear, then sanded/polished to a high gloss. It worked pretty well although I had to be careful around the rivets.

Will let you all know how I progress with the repairs and the maiden flight. In the meantime don't hesitate to shoot me any questions as they come up.

Cheers,

Loren
Old Jan 08, 2006, 10:52 PM
Joined Jun 2004
233 Posts
Hey Loren,

Quick head is a good way to go. Make sure that it's the Quick Japan stuff and not the knock off made in China stuff sold by QuickHeli.com. There is a dealer here in the US that carries Quick Japan stuff. here is the link for it:

http://www.helicopterhobbies.com/qj15features.htm

I ordered one before the Holidays and was told it would ship soon after Christmas but after I called him he said that he did not have them in stock but would get me one by Jan 10th. Then he called and said it will not be until the end of the month at the earliest. Certainly not the greatest customer service in the world but considering the times we live in it's not out of the norm. Not to mention he's the only source I can find in the US and at $175 for everything from the swash upwards I'll take the lackluster service. If you call, tell him Steve, the mod from JRVoyagerE on Yahoo sent you, as he might cut us both a deal. Ask for Harold if you decide to go for it.

Curious about how you did the windows since the windshield is all that is included with the JR kit?

Ps–Good thing you decided to test the mechanics before putting it back in the fuselage. If you did not I would be offering my condolences here.
sj_sharks_fan is offline Find More Posts by sj_sharks_fan
Old Jan 08, 2006, 11:09 PM
Zod
Joined Sep 2004
117 Posts
Thanks for the download on Quick Japan - I dropped the folks at that link an e-mail earlier today and am waiting for the response. Did he offer it to you for $175? The site lists the Quick 15 as $234, but I was still prepared to lay out the dough because I've heard all the great reviews. I will drop your name when I talk to him and try to work something - you never know, I live up the road from helicopterhobbies in CHarlotte, NC, so perhaps I could drop by and pick mine up when it comes in!

I didn't like the candy-blue windscreens so I bought a sheet of clear plastic and dyed it with RIT dye. Not as easy as I thought it would be, but it had the desired effect. When the time came to glue them in, I used wicked in super CA and then painted accelerator in around the edges so that it would adhere all around the edges. Worked real well - I've always found that to be the most challenging stage of a scale build.
Old Jan 09, 2006, 06:40 AM
Just getting started
Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2006
24 Posts
Holy smokes, that does look like a real heli. I can't beleive all the great pictures and builds on this site. Very nice work. It really does look real.
trav_in_sask is offline Find More Posts by trav_in_sask
Old Jan 09, 2006, 06:52 AM
usual old know-it-all
Blackpool,U.K.
Joined May 2005
1,313 Posts
Hi,the vibration thing can be a problem.Always try,fly at least 5 times before 'putting on'bodykits,as you probably know.
My Voy E was fitted after the stock heli was running perfectly vibe free and was found to vibrate a bit after the Ecureuil VE bodykit.Noticable with a very high frequency tail vibe.
I think it could have been something to do with resonance with the differant materials,weight?? But still flew and looked great.
Yours looks fabulous,crashing,smashing would be a bummer........
brodjack is offline Find More Posts by brodjack