Old Jan 07, 2006, 11:50 AM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,233 Posts
Gallery
A wet and murky flight over my old school

http://www.pbase.com/hogster/7th_jan_2006

Not bad considering the weather and lighting conditions!

David
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2006, 12:10 PM
Joined Sep 2002
2,098 Posts
Excellent work!

A little Photoshop adjusting would probably help a couple of those that suffer most from the weather conditions.

Your plane seems to be performing well. I like the overall design.

In the first photo - is that a transmitter tray will a foul weather protector?

Do you use your laptop for framing photos before you shoot?

SG
sierra-gold is offline Find More Posts by sierra-gold
Old Jan 07, 2006, 12:11 PM
Git-R-Done
Rich Hill, Missouri_USA
Joined Aug 2004
879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogster
http://www.pbase.com/hogster/7th_jan_2006

Not bad considering the weather and lighting conditions!

David
Very nice shots, David.
With a little sunshine they would have been excellent.
Oh well, only 2-3 months until spring.

Hermitt
Hermitt is offline Find More Posts by Hermitt
Old Jan 07, 2006, 12:19 PM
Your attitude is your alt
Nashville Metro, Tennesse, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,646 Posts
I like the plastic cake container as a radio rain cover, that's using your head. The pictures are nice, as well as your website, easy to navigate and the speed for downloading the pictures is lightening fast! Keep up the good work!

Gary Morris
Gary Morris is offline Find More Posts by Gary Morris
Old Jan 07, 2006, 12:42 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,233 Posts
Thanks guys!

sierra - Yeah PS was a great help - I upped the contrast 15% on all the photos, and even then they're still a little murky. I didn't want to blast the exposure out of the water though, so I kept all the contrast adjustments to a minimum.

Yup that's a Tx tray and cover which I purchased from a model show last year. They have a website at:

http://www.mrmmodels.co.uk/page/mrmmodels

I haven't had to use the cover in foul weather yet, but I've noticed it does help when there's a biting wind ...

Yes I have a live video feed coming from the camera which I can view on my laptop to frame the photos. All the photos you see there were triggered whilst looking at the screen. Hopefully one day I will have a single-eye LCD headset so I can look at the video coming from the plane as well as looking up at the plane itself - for the time being I have to keep looking down at the screen and then up at the plane .... It really does help with framing the shots though ...

Hermitt - Spring will be awesome ... as will sunshine when taking photos! Also in the summer I'm getting a 30-size electric helicopter so then I will be fully set up for doing AP professionally ... hopefully to help pay back the enormous cost of all this equpiment! .... Mmmm making money whilst doing something I love .... it's a wonderful thought ...

Gary - I love PBase. For $23/year you get 300MB of hosting space, unlimited bandwidth and more online gallery-creation tools than you can shake a stick at!
Old Jan 07, 2006, 01:48 PM
Smile & wave
Lancing West Sussex
Joined Jun 2005
3,442 Posts
David,
Very good shooting today, I can see you’re a fast leaner!

Oh I found a picture with your old school badge, now I know why your shots are so good.

Keep em comming

Gray

PS I have a set of Eyetop's if you would like to try?
Gray is offline Find More Posts by Gray
Last edited by Gray; Jan 07, 2006 at 01:55 PM. Reason: PS
Old Jan 07, 2006, 02:04 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,233 Posts
Haha ah that's a good one!

PM sent about the Eyetops.

David
Old Jan 07, 2006, 02:52 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,233 Posts
Ooh I forgot to mention guys!! Today's outing wasn't without it's exciting near-death experiences for the plane! Although there was almost no perceptible wind, I soon realised there WAS wind when the plane nearly cart-wheeled on take off. A quick breath-test by my Dad (where he breathed into the air and noticed which way the water vapour moved .... clever guy) revealed I had actually tried to take off ACROSS the wind! .... ack that was too close for comfort ...

The second heart stopper was on the landing after the first flight. Did a really nice big sweeping turn and touched down ever so gently ... however, with fully ball-raced wheels (oop, I haven't shown you photos of those yet!!) the thing just didn't want to stop once it had touched down. It continued merrily running across the thickish grass, straight over the one-lane road (that you can see in the pictures) and had it not been for the gravel in the parking area, the plane would've nosed over on one of the railway sleepers at the back of the parking bays! There was a great sigh of relief when I saw it had come to rest literally 2 inches from a sleeper ....

On the second take off the worst heart stopper was thrust upon me .... full power, picking up speed nicely, slight dip in the grass, yup she's airborne, motor makes graunching noise and prop stops spinning – ARGH!!! I managed to gently glide her in for a perfect landing but boy, something bad happened to that motor ..... When I came to the plane the prop was seriously stiff to rotate. Applying a small amount of power made the motor emit a fingers-on-blackboard scraping sound .... not good! I took the plane and set it down next to the car. On closer inspection I discovered that the enamelled motor wire had somehow managed to unwind itself (by one turn on each pole) and jam up against the magnets. This broke the CA bond between the motor mount and the stators, and so when hand-turning the prop, it was in fact turning the stators on the mount (the magnets and stators were locked together)! A closer inspection revealed the damage to the wire - a good inch of enamel had been scraped off 4 of the 6 wires inside the motor .... ah well ... good job I've got spare!

That'll actually give me a chance to do a better job of the wiring in the motor .... it was a right pain trying to wire the motor up with only an inch of each wire coming from the motor!

Twas a shame the motor conked out as I still had 2/3 of the battery pack unused, and a second one which I hadn't touched! .... I'm not sure when I'll get to fly again either ... let's hope when I do everything goes according to plan!

I'm just grateful the motor didn't conk out when in the air!

David
Old Jan 07, 2006, 04:28 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
11,085 Posts
You need good reliable 4 stroke glow motor for that plane. I have never had the wires come off one of those
JettPilot is online now Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 07, 2006, 04:57 PM
Peakaboo!
Sakinee, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
1,388 Posts
...this kind of incident would never happen with a more proven technology, like a rubber band motor, for instance .
Gwelan is offline Find More Posts by Gwelan
Old Jan 07, 2006, 06:11 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,233 Posts
Point taken Jett, but I'm not prepared to put a lawnmower engine on any model of mine. Anyway, if I'd made a 4-stroke engine myself, that could have failed just as easily.

Good point Gwelan! Why'm I bothering with this electric malarkey!
Old Jan 07, 2006, 08:38 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,233 Posts
Well it's taken me flipping ages but I've now rewound the motor ... with one less turn on each pole which in theory should give it more oomph.

Now just gotta see if it'll run .........

David
Old Jan 07, 2006, 09:31 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,233 Posts
Ahh she works beautifully! A little worrying to start with as the motor kept spluttering and hunting, and when it did run it sounded terrible. A little bit of dismantling revealed that the termination of the wires next to the stators was shorting up against one of the wires on a pole. A quick readjustment of the wiring and it now works beautifully. Can't test WOT as it'll wake everyone in the house (it's half 2 am)!

Back in business

David