HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2006, 04:36 PM
Keep building, buying,fly
Suffolk, In the UK
Joined May 2004
2,598 Posts
Discussion
Hanger 9 P47 Thunderbolt 60 Size

Well I got one in the UK...... A hanger 9 P47 Thunderbolt 180.00. Very pleased with the quality of the Kit. Retracts are already installed and fit lovely. They look quite strong. Although this Kit looks very simple and easy to build I intend to post pictures and my findings as I build her. My plan is for a 91 four stroke up front. I have 3 SC Four strokes in other planes and although they are quite cheap to buy I find them to be an excellent value for money engine. So unless I have a rush of blood and want to spend that extra 100 on an OS or Saito an SC it will be. Was thinking about an electric conversion but although I have around 28 electrics I cant bring myself to do it, so oil, smoke, vibration and that lovely 4 stroke sound it will be.

Please feel free to chip in with any comments etc as I proceed.

Hope it will be fun

www.densplanes.co.uk
Bigplumbs is offline Find More Posts by Bigplumbs
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2006, 11:42 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,062 Posts
There will be a review of this plane soon. Check out the "RC Power" mag. I think you will like this one! It flew GREAT. Your engine choice is great.

Jerry
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Is it possible to lose weight?
Old Jan 07, 2006, 08:15 AM
Warbird Pilot
Puget Sound, WA
Joined May 2004
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs
Please feel free to chip in with any comments
www.densplanes.co.uk
I would get rid of the dorsal spine in front of the vertical fin as the full size doesn't have it:

http://www.WarbirdObsession.com/
Richard L. is offline Find More Posts by Richard L.
Old Jan 07, 2006, 12:08 PM
Suffolk, In the UK
Joined May 2004
2,598 Posts
Installing the Wing Servo's and Preinstalled Retracts

I chose not always to follow the order of things in the instructions. The instructions say to join the two wing halves first. I would rather install the servo's and Ailerons in the wings before I join then as half a wing is a lot easier to deal with than a whole wing.

Attached are pics of the Servo fixing in the wing and the rather nicely pre installed retracts

www.densplanes.co.uk
Old Jan 07, 2006, 12:43 PM
Suffolk, In the UK
Joined May 2004
2,598 Posts
Joining Servo Extenders

If you use servo wite extenders Make sure you use servo locks or simply tape them as the attached Photo. Also alway test the servo with the extender in place before you fix it in the plane. This can save a lot of hastle later

www.densplanes.co.uk
Old Jan 07, 2006, 12:55 PM
Suffolk, In the UK
Joined May 2004
2,598 Posts
Here is a Dilemma

Remember I am in the UK so cannot benefit from those cheap prices you chaps get in the states. Which would you go for ?

Saito 100 Four Stroke 240.00

SC 91 Four Stroke (I already have 3 of these in other planes) 125.00
Old Jan 07, 2006, 12:57 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,062 Posts
I'm not familiar with the SC91, only the Saito 100. I flew mine on an Evolution .61 two-stroker but I also have their P-40 with the Saito in it.

I'd go with the SC91 as it should have enough, heck, more than enough, power to fly this one. Mine came out at just over 8 pounds.

Jerry
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Is it possible to lose weight?
Old Jan 07, 2006, 01:37 PM
Suffolk, In the UK
Joined May 2004
2,598 Posts
Dont like this

The Screws to hold on the Aileron Horns are very long and have to be cut off. I would have preferred a small nut on the end and put them through the other way. Still this will work ok just a little sharp at the cut off. Dont grind them with a dremmel though as it makes them hot and they melt the plastic of the retainer and go loose. Just snip them off as the metal is quite soft
Old Jan 07, 2006, 01:39 PM
Suffolk, In the UK
Joined May 2004
2,598 Posts
Important

When building make sure someone is getting your dinner !!!!!. As if I wasn't in enough trouble already !!!
Old Jan 07, 2006, 03:14 PM
Suffolk, In the UK
Joined May 2004
2,598 Posts
Aileron Servo Arm Length

The aileron servo arm needs to be quite a long one. I used the longest one that came with the Servo and it turned out not to be long enough. I couldn't get the specified control throws and even with my rates down at 90 % the clevis hit the underside of the wing. I was lucky because I had two longer arms. They will need to be at least 7/8ths of an inch long. I used the white one shown in the following picture

www.densplanes.co.uk
Old Jan 07, 2006, 05:14 PM
Warbird Pilot
Puget Sound, WA
Joined May 2004
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs
If you use servo wite extenders Make sure you use servo locks or simply tape them as the attached Photo.
You can also use dental floss to tie the ends of the two connectors together.

Old Jan 08, 2006, 03:21 PM
Suffolk, In the UK
Joined May 2004
2,598 Posts
Wing almost complete

Just the Belly Pan, Retract covers and bolt retainer to go on and that will be the wing finished. I am going to swap out the supplied wing bolta and captive nuts for some British ones. The supplied ones are an American thread and if you loose one it is very difficult to get them in the UK. This will also give me a couple of spares for my Mustang where the supplied ones were used

www.densplanes.co.uk
Old Jan 08, 2006, 03:22 PM
Suffolk, In the UK
Joined May 2004
2,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard L.
I would get rid of the dorsal spine in front of the vertical fin as the full size doesn't have it:

You are quite correct the original did not have one but I have been told that this piece on the model is important for the aerodynamics so although it is not that scale I will leave it on.
Old Jan 08, 2006, 04:40 PM
Warbird Pilot
Puget Sound, WA
Joined May 2004
437 Posts
I don't think that piece will make much of a difference on a .60 sized model (I am an ex-aeronautical engineer). The P-47 is already a nice flying plane. Other .60 sized bubble top P-47's fly fine without it.

Old Jan 08, 2006, 05:15 PM
Joined Jan 2005
690 Posts
Some of the later model P-47 aircraft had the dorsal spine added to the veritcle fin.

I think the P-47N was one version, maybe others also
JackHiner is offline Find More Posts by JackHiner