Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 07, 2006, 08:35 AM
American MoonMan
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2003
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreslism
Nice idea about the sand Roger, I had not heard that one before.

Yeah Joe, you better get a web cam up and running ASAP so we can keep an eye on you and make sure you're working hard and not messing around out there. Those of us that have that lovely thing called winter right now can sit around and go

"Hmmmm, I wonder what Joe is up to now? Is he working hard or goofing off again.... Let me go see so I can crack the whip... "

Come to think of it, there is your security too! I'm sure someone will be checking in on it 24 hours a day somewhere in the world. Just give us the number of your local police and we can have them there in a second if we see any suspicous characters in the shop.
--Scott
Roger & Scott,

Having had a two cell pack go up in the open in my garage awhile back, I think that I will stick with the kiln. Placing a bag of sand over the cell sounds like a good idea, but I would be a bit leery of putting any type of weight, even that spread out by the bag of sand, on top of the cells. It has been my understanding that one of the things to avoid in using LiPo's is to NOT compress them if possible. The one I had go up on me did vent during its ignition, spewing hot embers over 6' in all directions. Fortunately none caught anything else on fire, but it was a close thing. The kiln adds a physical barrier that the LiPo cannot breach, and while containing those embers, it is also loose enough to release any pressure built up during a "vent event" . I do have a WiFi network setup for my computers, and should have no problem putting the laptop out in the workshop (do plan on it anyway, but just have not done it yet). I do think that I will be getting an alarm system though (most likely a passive IR one). But, I don't believe I will be putting the workshop onto a webcam. That's all I need is hundreds of people telling me exactly where they think I sound mount the HS-81mg for the elevator, I would never get anything done then . Then again, who knows, I might put up some streaming video onto my website. I do have the software and have run a webcam in the past............

Joe
Joe Bennett is offline Find More Posts by Joe Bennett
Last edited by Dark Overlord; Jan 07, 2006 at 09:33 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2006, 09:04 AM
American MoonMan
Joined Jul 2003
2,722 Posts
Group,

Here is a link to my "Stop sign CAM" test site that I had up for a long time. I originally put it up to view the idiots that like to run the stop sign on my corner. About 90% don't even stop, and many don't even slow down!! I may also test out the automatic pan and tilt too. I have put it up again for now, but cannot guarantee that it will always be up. I may try out a webcam setup in the workshop this weekend to see if it will work okay or not. Anyway, give it a try if you feel like it, and let me know what you think. By the way, this IS AP as it is using my PTZ Mast Video camera as a source . To view it, just click on this link -------> HERE.

Joe
Old Jan 07, 2006, 12:53 PM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,821 Posts
I like it! Just moved into my new California fixer and need to do the same. I like the new plane too.

Good luck, Patrick
patrickegan is offline Find More Posts by patrickegan
Old Jan 07, 2006, 01:57 PM
American MoonMan
Joined Jul 2003
2,722 Posts
PE,

Strangely enough, you are the very first to even mention it in this thread. Work in continuing on it, and I have hopes of flight testing it soon. Still lots to do as far as internal equipment, but the overall design is pretty well set. WS will be ~80", overall length is 63", steerable nosegear, 20" wide center panel flap, camera and flight control will utilize 7 channels total split between two discrete systems operated by two man crew. Will be able to shoot video and stills at the same time, with realtime selection of downlink source for groundstation viewing by flight cameraperson. Still camera will be a Pentax Optio S6 mounted in a side facing Plasma I mount that will be tiltable under ground control to assist in framing photos. Pusher design with a single tailboom utilizing the SSV2 proven tailfeathers, and mainwing panels. Will be able to easily remove those panels for transport, and I have MANY spare ones to use for future aircraft. Latest ones will be assembled keeping in mind the added AUW anticipated in the new airframe. Using the panels, the wing will be a polyhedral design with a 20" flat center panel, two 16" middle panels, and two 14" outer wing tip panels. Constant 8" cord and using the modified Clark Y airfoil will provide ~ 640 square inches of wing area. AUW is expected to be ~55-60 ounces. So, wing loading should come in at about 13 ounces per square foot. Not too bad at all actually. Anyway, back to work on it now, gotta try to get the flight servos mounted so I can do the control rods today if possible. Later...............

Joe
Old Jan 07, 2006, 06:00 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,149 Posts
BTW Dark Overlord, you forgot to post the address of this fine workshop with all the neat stuff in it, along with times that you are usually at work
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 07, 2006, 08:14 PM
American MoonMan
Joined Jul 2003
2,722 Posts
JettPilot,

Awww, now you are trying to make me feel that I cannot trust my fellow APers.

I just want to let you all know that I am a Vietnam Vet, and I seriously considered working at the Post Office at one time too. I am retired, so am around the house most of the time. Come and go at odd hours. Believe in serious gun control (I know how to control my gun that is , seriously). I also have absolutely no problems with confrontation either, as anyone who knows me or has followed many of my threads can attest too. So, am I worried about someone breaking into my shop and stealing anything at all from it, not really. I might even enjoy their visit (I am sure much more than they would). Anyway, my two beagles would tear them apart in seconds (if I could ever get them out of their dog houses where they would be hiding and shivering in fear)...............................

Joe
Old Jan 08, 2006, 11:25 PM
American MoonMan
Joined Jul 2003
2,722 Posts
Group,

Passive IR alarm now in place. Loud enough too to be heard all the way in the house , So, that worry is out of the way. Now if the shipment of razorwire, and that new solar powered fence charger will every arrive ...............

Was able to install the two servos for the rudder and elevator today. Just need to put in place the flap servo now, and then I can begin the control linkages for the tailfeathers. Nose gear steering servo is also in place, and I think that I will end up using a Y cable to drive it from the rudder channel. I am using HS-81mg's for everything except the video source switcher, there I am using an HS-55 as it only has to drive a modified round servo horn to toggle the video switch beteen the video and still cameras. I also have my center wing section almost ready to skin with 1/64th balsa, and then I can finish it and mount it to the fuselage. Things are slowly coming together, and I look forward to working on it a lot of hours this coming week. I will also be going to the AMA Convention show in Ontario CA on saturday, so if any of you are going to be there, let me know and maybe we can meet and say hi. Going mainly to look for some of those new 20C LiPo packs for the new aircraft. Most likely something between 2000 and 4000 mah for the main power packs. Will see what is available though....................Later....

Joe
Old Jan 09, 2006, 09:35 AM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,821 Posts
When the wire shows up youíll need to fortify a defensive perimeter with some M18A1ís and you could talk to the neighbors about putting a couple of towers up with 50ís capable of laying down some good suppressive five. That otta keep the riff-raff out of the shed!
Old Jan 09, 2006, 01:31 PM
American MoonMan
Joined Jul 2003
2,722 Posts
PE,

Have you been reading my secret plans for the new border fence? Actually, will most likely not need the firepower you suggest as the anti-personel mine field should keep all but the most foolish out of my back yard. Then, it will be only a matter of picking up the larger pieces once or twice a week to help keep the crows in check.

Another and more important point. My wife (of 35 years now) says that it is NOT a shed. It is a SHOP, WORKSHOP, of my DOGHOUSE, but most definitely NOT a shed.

Did some motor run tests this morning on the new aircraft. The outrunner I am using is being powered through a Dymond 25a ESC from an 11.1v 2000mah test LiPo pack. Whattmeter readings @ WOT showed ~100watts @ ~9.8a which was drawing the voltage down to ~10.5v during the 10 minute run test. Will try to get an actual thrust in a while if I get a chance. I am testing with an APC E 10 X 4.7 prop, and it appears to have PLENTY of power to spare. I do think though that I may increase the prop size to an 11 X 4.7 and see where that leaves me as far as current is concerned. If I am able to find suitable 20C discharge packs, then current will not be a big concern, and I will be able to have PLENTY of reserve power if it is needed. I also think that I will switch over to a Phoenix 35 ESC (which is what I have been using on my SSV2 for a long time now) since it will allow me to physically set the low end point for the LiPos to where I want it instead of relying on the ESC to figure out the cutoff point like the Dymond does. We shall see though......later............

Joe
Old Jan 09, 2006, 06:41 PM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,821 Posts
Thatís right youíre on the border, if they overrun your position donít forget the flag!
Old Jan 09, 2006, 07:30 PM
American MoonMan
Joined Jul 2003
2,722 Posts
PE,

Actually about 70 miles north, but did live down in Imperial Beach at one time and experienced the very best of illegal imigration in all it myriad forms.

Went by one of my LHS's earlier and picked up two new props and a Phoenix 35 ESC. Will check out the props later and see how they perform. I am going to program the ESC shortly and get it ready for the Bomar Explorer. Anyone out there good at creating aircraft for RealFlight G3? Will be looking for a custom created model to use on the simulator for training purposes. PM me if interested in assisting in creating this aircraft. Thanks................

Joe
Old Jan 09, 2006, 07:57 PM
Aerial Shutterbug
San Mateo, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
5,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Overlord
Roger & Scott,

Having had a two cell pack go up in the open in my garage awhile back, I think that I will stick with the kiln. Placing a bag of sand over the cell sounds like a good idea, but I would be a bit leery of putting any type of weight, even that spread out by the bag of sand, on top of the cells. It has been my understanding that one of the things to avoid in using LiPo's is to NOT compress them if possible. The one I had go up on me did vent during its ignition, spewing hot embers over 6' in all directions. Fortunately none caught anything else on fire, but it was a close thing...
Joe
Ooooo, sorry to hear about that one Joe! Glad nobody was hurt! I've watched LiPolys go south before so I know what you mean by spewing hot embers! Have not had a single LiPoly blow it's top on me yet, and hope I never will...counting my blessings here.

-Roger
RMihara is offline Find More Posts by RMihara
Old Jan 09, 2006, 08:23 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Overlord
The shop is fully in my own backyard, and I have a new 6' fence all around my property, so not too worried about breakins, BUT, I do have the ability to lock the door (in two places, top and bottom).
What's to keep me from coming over and unscrewing the hinges on the right side of the door to get in ?.

Actually, I'll just come over with a big rollback truck and take the whole thing.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Jan 09, 2006, 09:38 PM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,821 Posts
Usta, I donít think Iíd risk it, after 35 years Mrs Dark Iím sure knows how to handle herself in close combat and sheíd probable eat you for lunch.
Old Jan 09, 2006, 10:19 PM
American MoonMan
Joined Jul 2003
2,722 Posts
Group,

All kidding aside about my shop, I do have very good homeowners insurance. There really is an Passive IR alarm in the shop. This is a nice neighborhood too, and there has been little problem with break-ins. Worrying about it is way down on my list of concerns. I would rather contemplate the construction of the BE more than someone wanting to visit for some other purpose.

I just got done programming my Phoenix 35, and had to update the software on the Phoenix link. Castle Creations is sure making it easy to modify and maintain the ESC's they sell. Will install the ESC tomorrow as time permits (I have a business meeting with my associate regarding a show he is going to attend a week from wednesday. He wants me to put together a PowerPoint presentation he can use before a group of 35-45 people representing the Arizona golf industry). I used to do that stuff when I worked as an electrical designer, so should not take long to actually get it ready for him. So, the morning will be tight, but afternoon looks relatively free to play with construction. I think I will also have a chance to install my tiltable camera mount. It is going to be directly shaft driven from an HS-81mg. I did get my landing gear linkage setup too, so now the nose wheel is all hooked up to the drive servo for steering. I used a couple of heavy ball links to hook the servo arm to the steering arm, and it looks SOLID. I think that once I Y off the rudder channel, there will be plenty of throw on both the steering and the rudder. I plan on setting linkages to allow for a 45 degree throw on the rudder, I just LOVE lots of surface movement. After having run the motor today, I do have one concern though. The carbon fiber tube does seem to allow the tailfeathers to twist a little more than I like. I may have to come up with some sort of an anti-twist preventor to counter that which is showing up now under power. It may not even prove to be a problem once airborn, but until the first flights, I may not know for sure. Heck I guess that is why they call this an experimental aircraft . Later............

Joe