SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 06, 2006, 07:07 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Mini-Review
mini Ultra Stick by E-Flite

mini Ultra Stick maiden flight was just amazing! The dang model was configured with the E-Flite Park 480 Outrunner brushless motor and the recommended Prop size/pitch. (No flaps and all ailerons)!

The model zoomed upwards like a home sick dove and in Dead Calm conditions. The model had a floaty manner (low wing loading) and the need for some right aileron and down trim was needed. (Perhaps a little right thrust on the motor mount is planned and adjustment of quick adjust on elevator for more down trim is also planned).

It really does not need no stinking flaps....waste of time and $$$ as this model came in dead stick and floated right in on the Club grass field and the tall landing gear and adaquate wheels allowed a good roll-out.

Super Model for those that like the full size and Love to fly a park flyer size with super quiet manners!
Here's proud owner......one of my Club members, all smiles after the maiden flight!
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Last edited by guapoman2000; Jan 06, 2006 at 07:17 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2006, 07:19 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,509 Posts
The flaps aren't for landing so much as they are for playing around in the air. I have an electrified Ultra Stick 60 and play with mine all the time. One of my favorites is to dial in some (a bunch) of crow, throttle back, and perform an exceptionally slow dive straight down and pull out at about right before the deck. The manuver looks like it defys gravity. Of course, there is also the fun of being a mile high on final and still landing at the end of the runway.

I'm not saying the flaps are needed for this plane to be fun, just don't dismiss them out of hand because the plane lands fine without them.

Wiz
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Jan 06, 2006, 07:27 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Wiz,

Okay, then for a small scale model of the larger one like you have (hence 60 size), I would have Fun with the larger instead of spending (this is me talking) lots of $$$ for the extra two servos and the kicker is finding a robust Brushless ESC with BEC that can support six (6) freaking mini servos!!!

That's my point about the flapps....sure everyone wants to have fun...but, many don't have a computer transmitter and $$$ to setup 6 mini servos....I would have fun with the larger scale Ultra Sticks.

For Flaps, I would personally use an ESC that does not come with BEC (you would need to disable it on many ESC's) and fly with a separate Receiver Battery pack (2-cell Li-poly with voltage regulator).

Carlos
Old Jan 06, 2006, 08:06 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,509 Posts
So, you don't want to spend the money ($65) for an extra 2 servos and a UBEC.....and you don't use a computer radio. That's fine. That's why the plane is designed the way it is. I just wanted to point out that the flaps are for more than just landing.

FWIW, I recomended to H9 to build this little plane about 8 months ago when I first got my bigger one going. I do intend to get one of these Mini Ultra Sticks. I like flying small planes too.

Wiz
Old Jan 06, 2006, 09:05 AM
Same Day Delivery
Economy, Pa.
Joined Mar 2002
3,449 Posts
The capability for a quad configuration should not be discounted. Having the "crow" function is a lot of fun for those so inclined The fact the plane does fine without them is a bonus for folks who dont want to go the extra mile
mike3976 is offline Find More Posts by mike3976
Old Jan 06, 2006, 10:00 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Oh, understood.....agreed...I have never tried a model that had a crow capability but, I have seen the larger models from those members in my club and it's a delight to see them land and slow down...

Carlos
Old Jan 06, 2006, 10:40 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,509 Posts
Carlos,

It may be true that the flaps and crow on a plane this size won't yield the same results they do on the larger version. It will be interesting to hear from someone who has gone that route with the mini to see if they are effective, or at least effective enough to be worth the effort.

Wiz
Old Feb 26, 2010, 08:17 PM
United Kingdom, England, West York
Joined Aug 2008
169 Posts
Hi,

I bought one of these when they first came out...Only had a 300W motor so I shoe-horned it in...didn't bother with the crow set up because if you put the motor into low revs, that slows it down fine.
I found this out years ago on my hotliners .....
I personally wouldn't bother with crow..no need on a model this size.. a waste of 2 servos even though they only cost buttons these days..

I installed a small camera in it and took some great photos...
It would prop hang a treat and I had loads of fun flying it for about 1 year... Great to play inverted , how low can you go , chicken with..

Sold it to a fellow modeller who managed to destroy it in 2 days..... Not the planes fault I hasten to add.

Great value for money sport plane with well sorted manners. Handled very well in strong winds considering it was a small plane...

I may buy the bigger one this year if I can get all the other projects cleared from building board .

Overall very pleased with it..

My 2 pence / cents / euros worth...

Shaun
2.4g shaun is offline Find More Posts by 2.4g shaun
Last edited by 2.4g shaun; Feb 26, 2010 at 08:33 PM.