SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 06, 2006, 09:39 PM
Chandler AZ
Joined Sep 2005
413 Posts
Almost a landing

Depending on the lamp it takes 4 or 5 attempts.
UFly is offline Find More Posts by UFly
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2006, 09:43 PM
Chandler AZ
Joined Sep 2005
413 Posts
Full stop

In this video the plane doesn't fly. It is perched on top of the lamp. Gives a good view of the height of the lamp.
Old Jan 06, 2006, 10:00 PM
Chandler AZ
Joined Sep 2005
413 Posts
Current plane

This plane is about a year old but still going strong. It has the leading edge spar, and mount in the fuse. The aileron servo is a bit oversized.

The other model in these pics is my 7.5 oz hovering machine. I'm going to post it next.
Old Jan 06, 2006, 11:57 PM
Tied to the whipping post
Warm-Sunny-no-Wind, Az.
Joined Dec 2003
2,479 Posts
I have one of these that UFLY built and it is a blast to fly! Its like GWS Pizza on steroids. I am running a Himax 2812-850 swinging an 1147 on 3 cells weighing 22ozs all up. Harriers are easy and very stable and a its good hover trainer. Its easy to walk it around the field at crawl and high alpha! At WOT it really moves out and can do most manuvers with ease and can do 5 foot loops to boot. Mine has over a hundred flights on it and still going strong.

Love this plane and will just make another when this one wears out! People smile, laugh and point when they see it fly.
DangerBird is offline Find More Posts by DangerBird
Old Jan 11, 2006, 06:59 PM
Lakeville Minnesota USA
Joined Jul 2002
1,588 Posts
Hay
ufly

I am building one and all I had was 6 mm Depron. I just have to install the radio gear. I will do that when the Pro bond is dry.
Can you tell me were the balance point is that you are useing ??

BAR-STOOL
BAR-STOOL is offline Find More Posts by BAR-STOOL
Old Jan 11, 2006, 10:21 PM
Tied to the whipping post
Warm-Sunny-no-Wind, Az.
Joined Dec 2003
2,479 Posts
Bar-Stool,

Here are few pics of mine. UFLY built it and I did a few minor mods (note failed landing gear now chopped off and look like struts). I put a regular servo on the barn door ailerons cuz they are pretty big for a micro servo. This has well over a hundred flights on it and I hover in and just "plop" it to land. In high alpha the rudder is the best way to steer it around. Pretty much stall proof. Makes cool noise at WOT cranking around the sky.

Mine with this configuration has the CG back 5 1/2" back from the LE. There is nothing critical about this bird. It is pretty pitch sensetive at higher speeds so be sure to wear your seat belt! My Wife won't let me fly in the house so no indoor video's. :-)

Rgds,

Mike
DangerBird is offline Find More Posts by DangerBird
Old Jan 12, 2006, 04:12 PM
Chandler AZ
Joined Sep 2005
413 Posts
Hi Bar Stool, the cg on mine is right on the main spar. 7 inches behind the LE. As Mike said nothing's real critical. I've noticed with the CG a little farther forward power off glide is a bit smoother.

I'm curious how much lighter your bird will be with depron.

I just built a 3 oz version of this plane. A disposable toothbrush motor powers it. As soon as the glue dries I'll try flying it.

Do you guys know of any glue that dries faster than Gorilla glue for foam? Does foam safe CA work well?

Thanks, Mike
Old Jan 12, 2006, 04:49 PM
Guelph, Ontario Canada
Joined Sep 2004
652 Posts
I use foam safe CA all the time on depron. With a little kicker it cures in seconds.

Leon.
LLoo is offline Find More Posts by LLoo
Old Jan 12, 2006, 04:52 PM
__Jackass Savant__
United States, CA, Oxnard
Joined Feb 2005
2,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFly
Do you guys know of any glue that dries faster than Gorilla glue for foam? Does foam safe CA work well?

Thanks, Mike
Hot glue dude.
theBOZman is offline Find More Posts by theBOZman
Old Jan 12, 2006, 07:44 PM
Bellbrook, OH
Joined May 2005
225 Posts
Hot glue or mix your PU (Gorilla or ProBond) with standard white glue. Instead of several hourse I've had it solid in about 1hr. Still much slower than hotglue or CA though. It forms a REALLY sticky thick goo when in a 50/50ish mix ratio.
secretagentman is offline Find More Posts by secretagentman
Old Jan 12, 2006, 08:33 PM
Lakeville Minnesota USA
Joined Jul 2002
1,588 Posts
Well I finished it

Here is the one I made from Depron.
Depron does not bend like fanfold so I had some 2" thick Pink that I cut down for the fuse.

BAR-STOOL
Old Jan 13, 2006, 12:06 PM
Chandler AZ
Joined Sep 2005
413 Posts
Looks good how does she fly? I've used the pink foam before it works good.

I switched to fff for the fuse because it gives a lot on crashs and build time is cut in half. The bend in the fuse is the natural bend from the factory.

I didn't realize depron is that thick is your wing really strong? Can you get a flight video?

Best of luck, Mike
Old Jan 13, 2006, 03:05 PM
Lakeville Minnesota USA
Joined Jul 2002
1,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFly
Looks good how does she fly? I've used the pink foam before it works good.

I switched to fff for the fuse because it gives a lot on crashs and build time is cut in half. The bend in the fuse is the natural bend from the factory.

I didn't realize depron is that thick is your wing really strong? Can you get a flight video?

Best of luck, Mike
Have not tried flying it yet. It came in at 12 1/2 oz with the 3 cell 1320 ma TP & balances at 5 1/2" like you said it should be.
The depron I used is 6 MM or about .236

BAR-STOOL
Old Jan 13, 2006, 05:51 PM
Chandler AZ
Joined Sep 2005
413 Posts
I'm impressed that's very light.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 07:03 PM
Lakeville Minnesota USA
Joined Jul 2002
1,588 Posts
Test Flight and video

First I would like to thank Ufly for a great design job on this airplane.
I just could not wait to give it its first flight. Today was 30 degrees out and the wind was 8 to 10 and gusty and the ground hard as a rock. Well the plane flu great and was a kick to fly.
After Trimming I noticed that it had some down elev trimmed in so I am thinking I am a lite in the nose so I will try a little heaver battery next time.

Hers a video of it flying 23.4 Meg and a 3.2 Meg of the same for the dialup people.
When you get to my web space please right click and save to your computer to play it.

BAR-STOOL

http://www.barstoolap.com/Roger/Hover-e/