HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 14, 2001, 07:58 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,537 Posts
Problem with GP Electrifly C30 ESC

I have just purchased a C-30 ESC for my speed 400 plane using a stock speed 400 motor running on 500mah 8 cell nicad battery pack. It flew great for the first flight, but on my second fly, I noticed it no longer reaches full throttle. I tried troubleshooting using process of elimination. Tried a different motor, different receiver, different transmitter, etc, and it still does the same thing. I replaced the ESC with a Aveox ESC and the motor does rev up to full speed. So I suspect the C-30 is having problem reaching full throttle.

Anybody encountered similar problem before? I would hate to send it in only for them to find no problem with it.

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2001, 10:52 PM
Rhode Island
Joined Oct 2000
585 Posts
Throttle trim and/or ATV all the way up?
BobK is offline Find More Posts by BobK
Old May 15, 2001, 01:21 AM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,537 Posts
Yeah, all the way up.

Even tried another TX.
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280
Old May 15, 2001, 07:54 AM
Rhode Island
Joined Oct 2000
585 Posts
Go ahead and send it back, then. You've swapped out every other component and sounds like you've covered possible setup errors, so the only thing left is a bad ESC.
BobK is offline Find More Posts by BobK
Old May 15, 2001, 08:48 AM
I'm disoriented!
Mt. Laurel, NJ, USA
Joined Aug 2000
948 Posts
Isn't there a specific setup routine for these ESC's?

See the E-Zone review excerpt below from February 2001.

"On the test stand it proved to be of the variable start, variable endpoint (and therefore scalable range) variety. The transmitter stick position when you first power up is presumed to be "brake" (almost regardless of where this is) and the on-board LED lights steadily. You then sweep the stick to the full throttle position and hold it there for a couple of seconds (the on-board LED then starts to blink, letting you know the upper point has been set), then you bring the stick back to off and the LED goes out. The unit is now armed. You must sweep the stick from off to full and back again each time you power up in order to arm the unit. This is similar to the Model Electronics Corporation MX-50/80 controllers.

Using the AstroFlight WhattMeter on my test stand, I found the C-30s throttle response to be linear, not reverse exponential. It is smooth, with no noticeable steps. The initial run up to full throttle is fairly soft, but once there, it responds quickly to throttle stick changes. It shuts down fairly cleanly with signal loss.

I also found that the "optional" diode was indeed optional, at least for the combination of equipment I tested. This is very unusual in that up until now any time there has been a diode in the package with an inexpensive controller it was there because there was not one on the controller itself. This loose diode had to be installed on the motor you were going to be using the controller with or across the controller-to-motor connector as I have done before (for example, see the FMA Mini-20 review in my February 2000 column http://www.ezonemag.com/articles/200.../control.htm). In this case, however, the instructions said it could be installed to gain a slight bit of efficiency and decrease the heating of the unit at part throttle or it could be left off. More on this in a bit.

One of the interesting things I learned when checking it with my Ace Datamaster is that C-30 will arm with the initial throttle setting as high as 1.65 ms pulse duration (which is much above half throttle on most radios) and the full throttle point is set wherever you stop moving the stick on that initial sweep above the start point, as long as the pulse duration is greater than 1.68 ms. This means you can go from brake to full power in almost no stick travel at all, if for some reason you wanted to (though I can't imagine why anyone would). It also means that regardless of how short your transmitter's throttle stick throw is, chances are you will be able to get the ElectriFly C-30 to arm and to reach full throttle without fussing with trims or having to modify mechanical stops as has been a problem with some ESCs and some inexpensive transmitters.

ChrisD is offline Find More Posts by ChrisD
Old May 15, 2001, 11:06 AM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
8,266 Posts
I agree with Chris D's assessment. I have 3 of the C30 ESCs and have been very happy with them. Hopefully, you just got a bad one.

I did have one occurance of a strange range problem with speed during a pre-flight check so I re-power everthing and it was fine. I guessed that I had gotten some interference during the "learning" period on my power-up sequencing.

Typically, I first insure that the Tx. is on and the throttle stick is down before powering up the ESC and receiver. After 5 seconds, i'll put the throttle to full for 3-5 seconds and then back to off. I love the "Safe Start" feature of these ESCs.

Good luck!
Greg Covey is online now Find More Posts by Greg Covey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
Old May 15, 2001, 06:07 PM
Old school newb
Iraq
Joined Feb 2001
840 Posts
I am running a C-5 on my Lite Stik F, and although i am not having any range or power problems, some times, when I start the ESC up and move it to full thottle, the motor won't beep, and i won't get any throttle at all. But it still provides BEC power to the reciever. All I have to do is to disconnect the battery and then re-connect it, and then it works fine. Other than that, I've had no problems at all.
PunkerTFC is offline Find More Posts by PunkerTFC