HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2006, 05:55 PM
Supra!!!!!!
Las Vegas Nv, USA
Joined Oct 2005
3,098 Posts
Discussion
wattage 2 cell Li-po explodes

yesterday i was flying my slow stick and i took of hovered once then pulled out of it, after the hover i gave it full throttle and started flying strait up did a couple of loops a roll and flew inverted then i cut power completly did a nose down with full alerons and started rolling after i pulled up i was flying strait and cca boooooooom there gos my lipo at first i thought it was my prop but then the guys at the lhs grabbed my lipo of the ground and i said deadstick i thought it was my prop but then relized i no contro i am actually very happy because when the battery fell off the elevator was up just enough to make a freeflight landing boy i was lucky. all of the people at the lhs said that they have never seen any thing happen like that so i disposed of the Li-po and bought anothe well its vert time hehehehehe
Speed Stick 3D is offline Find More Posts by Speed Stick 3D
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2006, 01:12 AM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,995 Posts
sheesh man, Glad you are ok!
Maybe it's a good thing Las Vegas is nothing but a huge desert or we might have got to see you on the evening news. "Exploding lipo battery falls from model plane and burns down half the state...." What with these severe draught and fire conditions all over.?
Just good that you and plane survived to fly another day. Also, helping to keep you LHS in business.
Ken
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2006, 12:10 PM
Oldie but goodie
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Jun 2003
3,890 Posts
It would be interesting to know the details that lead up to your Lipo failure.

What Mah was the pack? What was the amp draw of the power system? Was the pack damaged in a previous flight/incident?

If you read the threads on Lipo fires, most of the time it can be attributed to some kind of user error or oversight.
Popsflyer is offline Find More Posts by Popsflyer
Old Jan 05, 2006, 03:06 PM
Suspended Account
Grove City PA basement/park
Joined Feb 2005
4,884 Posts
You didn't buy another replacement of the same brand I hope?
scratchandbash is offline Find More Posts by scratchandbash
Old Jan 05, 2006, 06:29 PM
Supra!!!!!!
Las Vegas Nv, USA
Joined Oct 2005
3,098 Posts
it was a wattage 1500 mah 2 cell lipo it had no dammage and i checked that night thhe amp draw 9.2 amps at full throttle with a 10 by 4.7 prop
i got a impuls power it holds its charge very good i dont know why it exploded but it was scary..........
Old Jan 05, 2006, 06:48 PM
Joined Mar 2005
218 Posts
lipos do not explode...they flame...
Project is offline Find More Posts by Project
Old Jan 05, 2006, 07:15 PM
Supra!!!!!!
Las Vegas Nv, USA
Joined Oct 2005
3,098 Posts
what ever.............................................. ............
Old Jan 05, 2006, 11:08 PM
Oldie but goodie
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Jun 2003
3,890 Posts
The 'Wattage' (Kolkam) 1500 is 7C dis = 10.5A discharge.

I have several different sizes of the Wattage packs, including the 1500 and they all have delivered within the rated "C" for me.

The "C" of the new 'Impulse' packs is quite impressive. Only time will tell if they deliver as rated.
Popsflyer is offline Find More Posts by Popsflyer