HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 10, 2006, 03:04 PM
Joined Dec 2005
27 Posts
does anyone know where to get some 6ohm page motors form in the uk?? i really need the help
thanks
wrapperworm is offline Find More Posts by wrapperworm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2006, 03:05 PM
My post count is stuck at 12
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2005
12 Posts
Recharging Mod, in away, wall charger.

The HX242 Dragonfly King, it's a small $30-40 helicopter. Fun to fly until the motors burn out.
Has a Wall charger that is compatible with the Aero Ace Plane, and it will charge your plane. You'll only have to use AA's for your transmitter, or if your out in the field...
mmackin is offline Find More Posts by mmackin
Old Jan 10, 2006, 04:27 PM
NRW, Germany
Joined Apr 2004
711 Posts
wrapperworm,

here I found didel products in the UK:
http://www.indoorflyer.co.uk/index.a...AYCAT&catid=10

Maybe it's a good idea to ask Graham for the "MK06-06".

Quax
quax is offline Find More Posts by quax
Old Jan 10, 2006, 04:33 PM
Joined Dec 2005
27 Posts
nice one quax, i justed asked and he sed they have been discontinued, but i bought them from some usa site but i got wot i wanted and for only 11 and thtas 2 motors and a better battery!!
thanks wrapperworm
wrapperworm is offline Find More Posts by wrapperworm
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:20 PM
Agra, Oklahoma
Joined Feb 2000
5,390 Posts
Well I bit the bullett and picket one up at wally-world. Sure I could had to a TRU or target, but it's over 100 miles round trip and at $2.20 a gallon, I figured I was saving some bucks getting it locally

Was very disapointed on the first few flights as I cold not trim it to fly straight. First launch had it turning left circles so I rotated the trim all the way to the right and it still did left circles.

I managed to hit about every tree in the back yard and got it stuck in one and had to shake it down. No obvious scuffs at all.

I finally took it inside and while running the motors at low power and adjusting the trim, I noticed that with the trim turned all the way right, it would mess up and apply more power to the right motor. If I backed off slightly to the left it wold work great. One last flight at dusk and I was hand catching it. A little down trim and it flies pretty well. Even flew it inside my livingroom a bit and manged about 5-6 circuits before hitting something.

Now all I have to do is pick up some sharp blades (I've already got the foam)
Steve McBride is offline Find More Posts by Steve McBride
Old Jan 10, 2006, 11:31 PM
AllAloneInSpaceAndTime
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Apr 2003
2,389 Posts
Steve,
$2.20! That's all!?! It's $0.95+CDN here all the time... That's more than $4US/Gal. Count yourself lucky.
Looks like my AA is going to have to wait. They still don't carry them at my Toys 'R' Us yet...
Corey
The Enemy is offline Find More Posts by The Enemy
Old Jan 10, 2006, 11:36 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,175 Posts
hklam - thanks for the dimensions-

Steve Mc - Try the diode mod to activate turn control when the throttle is off. It works really nice.
Also, since you have a 2006 model (?), would you try turning off the TX with the throttle advanced and see if the motors keep running or stop after a sec or two.

Watch out, they have an affinity for roof tops..
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Jan 10, 2006, 11:53 PM
lower Michigan-utica
Joined Dec 2005
286 Posts
So, I just bought a "Micro Ultrix Biplane. !3" span, foam bi-plane, twin pusher, etc. no flights yet. Seems to run good on the bench. Anyone have any experience with them? Sold by 'hobbico'. I can see where a lot of modifications would help. Did an 'autopsy' on my AA, gonna do somethin' fun with that.
widgeteer is offline Find More Posts by widgeteer
Old Jan 10, 2006, 11:59 PM
Realtired User
San Jose, California
Joined Oct 2004
870 Posts
Just got an Aero Ace at Target (Westgate, San Jose). They had about 5 left. Price was USD 29.99.
Serial # on box (left of UPC code): 051025SL. Serial# on plane: 051021SL. Black body/Silver wings, Channel A.

Did a quick check for auto-shutoff. The TX was turned off while at the following throttle settings and RPMs monitored at each prop (as viewed looking at the nose of the plane) :

Throttle 1, TX turned off:
Initial RPM (t=0 sec): Left 13200, Right 13200
t=12 sec RPM: Left 12900, Right 11600
motors stayed at these RPMs beyond 60 sec (ended test)

Throttle level 2, TX turned off:
t=0 sec: Left 13800, Right 13800
t=12 sec RPM: Left 12700, Right 11600
motors stayed at these last RPMs

Throttle level 3:
t=0 sec: Left 14100, Right 14100
t=12 sec RPM: Left 12700, Right 11300

Throttle level 4:
t=0 sec: Left 14500, Right 14600
t=12 sec RPM: Left 12700, Right 11400

Throttle level 5:
t=0 sec: Left 15000, Right 14900
t=12 sec: Left 14600, Right 13400
t=15 sec RPM: Left 12600, Right 11300

Throttle level 6:
t=0 sec: Left 15500, Right 15400
t=12 sec: Left 14500, Right 13300
t=15 sec RPM: Left 12400, Right 11200

It looks like aftr around 12 sec, the throttle steps down to a low setting, with the right motor throttled down lowest, so it goes into a continuous turn mode. At the higher throttle settings, the RPMs step down in 2 steps. I'll try to verify this in the field tomorrow, as well as check an older AA that I have.

---------
UPDATE:
My older AA (box serial #050629SL, plane # 050712SL) shows the same throttle-down behavior after loss of TX signal as shown in the above data. So I can't verify any "new" loss of signal behavior. Perhaps my latest purchase just wasn't a new enough unit.

I could not tell if the plane actualy goes into a continuous turn mode after loss of signal -- it was too windy today.
--------

Mark
mharms is offline Find More Posts by mharms
Last edited by mharms; Jan 12, 2006 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Updated info added
Old Jan 11, 2006, 07:36 AM
Birmingham / England
Joined Feb 2003
483 Posts
X -TWIN (SPEEDSTER!)
Here are the results of my extensive mods. to the biplane version of the X-twin
1. Remove lower wing and struts
2. Fuselage lightened by, cutting about 5/8 off pylon and re-gluing wing in position on fuselage, All initial cutting was done using a razor saw, then smoothed as much as possible with a sanding block. I did try smoothing the surface of the foam with a heat iron to get the surface a bit smoother, but this only offered a marginal improvement. The wing was moved a 1/4 further forward at the same time to increase the tail moment arm.
3. Reshape the fuselage making it slimmer and blending it into the tail tube.
4. Moving battery as far forwards as it will go.
5. Removing black plastic on the top of tailplane and some of the plastic around the fin. Extra glue was applied to ensure security of these components.
6. Removing grey plastic motor mounts and gluing the motors 1/4 further outwards, along the wing directly into the wing surface. This will also improve the turning ability of the plane, it also saves over 1.5 grams in weight. It could also help by allowing more cooling air to flow over the motor.
7. Rounding the tips of wing and tailplane to improve the appearance.
8. Sawing through the wing to separate top and bottom surface leaving the rear 3/4 surface of wing still joined, and then inserting a 1/16 sheet balsa spar. The wing leading edges and tips are then glued together again. This gives the wing a semi-symmetrical lower drag airfoil section.
9. Coloured trim added with strips of blue solarfilm.
These modifications reduce the drag and help the model penetrate in a breeze better, and also reduce the porpoising tendency that you tend to get with any changes in power settings, as well as making it fly at probably nearly twice the speed of the biplane. The weight has been reduce down to 15.5 grams from just under 20 grams.
10. I also glued a piece of foam, cut from the removed lower wing, to the transmitter case, so that the motor could be easily set to the slow speed setting. Run the motor at the slowest setting and make a mark on the transmitter case with a felt pen where the sick is positioned so that you know where to glue the foam, The foam acts as a stop when the stick is moved down against it. Extra downward pressure on the stick compresses the foam and cuts the motors completely.
The model will climb away from hand launch at just over half throttle setting,. The glide is also now much better than the original.

A simple way of reducing the weight and reducing drag without removing the upper wing, is to just remove the lower wing then reshape the fuselage by sawing off the sides, sanding it down so that it blends into the tailboom. Then add thin depron sheet to the underneath of the wing to give it a flat bottomed airfoil. This was what I did originally to test out the effectiveness of the above mods.

The other Graham
Graham Smith is offline Find More Posts by Graham Smith
Last edited by Graham Smith; Jan 11, 2006 at 07:43 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 08:27 AM
Agra, Oklahoma
Joined Feb 2000
5,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy
hklam - thanks for the dimensions-

Steve Mc - Try the diode mod to activate turn control when the throttle is off. It works really nice.
Also, since you have a 2006 model (?), would you try turning off the TX with the throttle advanced and see if the motors keep running or stop after a sec or two.

Watch out, they have an affinity for roof tops..
Already did the signal loss test (throttle on, motors runing, switch off transmitter) and within about 2-3 seconds the motors stop.

I'll dig back through and look up the diode mod. I was already wishing for throttl-off-steering.

I went and forgot it at home today. We have a break room that is about 40ft x 50ft and about 20ft high. Would make a nice indoor flight area for figure 8s.

Steve
Steve McBride is offline Find More Posts by Steve McBride
Old Jan 11, 2006, 09:56 AM
Joined Sep 2004
2,744 Posts
Tachometer.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by mharms
Just got an Aero Ace at Target (Westgate, San Jose). They had about 5 left. Price was USD 29.99.
Serial # on box (left of UPC code): 051025SL. Serial# on plane: 051021SL. Black body/Silver wings, Channel A.

Did a quick check for auto-shutoff. The TX was turned off while at the following throttle settings and RPMs monitored at each prop (as viewed looking at the nose of the plane) :...............................
Mark
Slightly off topic, but maybe others too are wondering; what do you use for rpm measurement??? model, cost, and source, and DO YOU like it????

thx,
LarryR
LareeRudee is offline Find More Posts by LareeRudee
Old Jan 11, 2006, 10:07 AM
lukeselectric-rc
Blackpool, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Mar 2004
661 Posts
any ideas on where to get one of these in the uk?

thanks

luke
luke15 is offline Find More Posts by luke15
Old Jan 11, 2006, 10:08 AM
Joined Sep 2004
2,744 Posts
Beautiful report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Smith
X -TWIN (SPEEDSTER!)
Here are the results of my extensive mods. to the biplane version of the X-twin ...............................9. Coloured trim added with strips of blue solarfilm.
These modifications reduce the drag and help the model penetrate in a breeze better, and also reduce the porpoising tendency that you tend to get with any changes in power settings, as well as making it fly at probably nearly twice the speed of the biplane. The weight has been reduce down to 15.5 grams from just under 20 grams.
...................................The other Graham
Excellent step by step info and guide........... but me, I'm looking for "slowness"............. So, how was your "low speed" affected by these mods?? slower, or about the same, or............

thx,
LarryR
LareeRudee is offline Find More Posts by LareeRudee
Old Jan 11, 2006, 10:14 AM
Gravity sucks!
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
365 Posts
I've searched all over for the diode mod for motor off steering. Can anyone help me locate it?
Omar
oforberg is offline Find More Posts by oforberg
Closed Thread