Closed Thread
Old Jan 09, 2006, 02:12 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bEbOp ?
I got one motor that stops 3 seconds before the other. Maybee I should take it apart and lube it up??
I use sewing machine oil from WalMart.

In regards to the motors spinning differently on power down, is your motor trim set so the motors are in harmony at full throttle? The trim might be set so one motor is running faster than the other.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2006, 07:14 PM
iPhly R/C with iPhone
Silicon Valley, Calif
Joined Jan 2005
1,723 Posts
Tailless wonder

This has got to be he simplest mod to make, but produces an airplane that's interestingly different form the original.

Take the tail off, rearrange the wing a bit, and here you have it - an AeroAce flying wing.

Ari.
iter is offline Find More Posts by iter
Old Jan 09, 2006, 07:38 PM
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE!!
Knoxville Tyson, Tennesse, United States
Joined Feb 2004
564 Posts
iter

Looks neat! How does it fly?

Ron
ronmar1 is offline Find More Posts by ronmar1
Old Jan 09, 2006, 08:01 PM
iPhly R/C with iPhone
Silicon Valley, Calif
Joined Jan 2005
1,723 Posts
Better than the original, believe it or not :=)

I have some video coming.

Ari.
Old Jan 09, 2006, 09:27 PM
Joined Dec 2005
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy
Ah, so the question is still on the table. How about some more testers? Especially from AA's bought recently.

1. - Secure plane to table
2. - Advance throttle to 1/2 or there abouts.
3. - Turn off Tx with throttle in the same position it was in step 2.
4. - Do motors stop in a few seconds or do they continue to run?
bought one today and the motors stay on. they seem to step down in speed twice after 30 seconds or so. but they remain on.
troyboy162 is offline Find More Posts by troyboy162
Old Jan 09, 2006, 09:31 PM
Joined Dec 2005
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iter
This has got to be he simplest mod to make, but produces an airplane that's interestingly different form the original.

Take the tail off, rearrange the wing a bit, and here you have it - an AeroAce flying wing.

Ari.
how did you remove the paint from the top wing? it dosnt look like you sanded it
troyboy162 is offline Find More Posts by troyboy162
Old Jan 09, 2006, 09:42 PM
Suspended Account
United States, UT, Salina
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by micro_builder
Pete, i thought about that too. but, i've accidently plugged the battery in backwards a number of times over the months (shame on me for not using the polarized plugs!). the times in the past when i did that, it did the same thing, but after plugging it in the right way, it worked fine. maybe i did it one too many times.

Bill, whos email address?

nick
Sorry nick
I meant to quote hoppy in that post.
I was refering message #31 from hoppy.
Bill
Bilbobaker is offline Find More Posts by Bilbobaker
Old Jan 09, 2006, 10:35 PM
iPhly R/C with iPhone
Silicon Valley, Calif
Joined Jan 2005
1,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyboy162
how did you remove the paint from the top wing? it dosnt look like you sanded it
I didn't :=) This particular plane came with silver coats on both the top and the bottom wings.

Ari.
Old Jan 09, 2006, 10:58 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyboy162
bought one today and the motors stay on. they seem to step down in speed twice after 30 seconds or so. but they remain on.
Very Interesting....
Mine definitely shuts off in under 2 sec with a new and old TX so the shutdown control must be in the RX. Is mine just an anomaly? Do I have the only AA in existence with fail safe electronics?

On the diode mod - It seems to have another advantage. After the mod, the plane does not seem to lose altitude during turns. Anyone else notice that? I'm guessing it's due to the difference in motor speed from the stock.

Another observation: Turning the motors so they are parallel with the wing makes the plane climb more then with the motors pointing straight back. My guess is that the motors pointing in more when parallel with the wing put more air pressure on the upper surface of the horizontal stabilizer causing
the plane to climb.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Jan 09, 2006, 11:09 PM
Joined Jul 2005
696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy
Any plans/sketches??
No plans or sketches but only dimensions, hopefully that helps.

Wingspan: 15 inches (not 14" as mentioned earlier)
Wing chord: 3.5 inches
TE & LE height: 1.5 inch
About 15-20 degree dihedral

Fuse length: 12 inches
Stabilizer: 8 inches

hklam
hklam is offline Find More Posts by hklam
Old Jan 10, 2006, 02:43 AM
iPhly R/C with iPhone
Silicon Valley, Calif
Joined Jan 2005
1,723 Posts
Tailless video

It was a bit windy on Sunday when Chris shot the video - too windy in fact for my piloting skill. On the next flight the wind carried it over a fence and we spent the next hour figuring out how to scale it. I'll try to get better video on a calmer day. When there is no wind the plane is stable and responsive. http://www.lib.aero/~ari/rc/tailless-wonder.avi
Old Jan 10, 2006, 07:37 AM
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE!!
Knoxville Tyson, Tennesse, United States
Joined Feb 2004
564 Posts
Looks like a keeper (iter)! I notice that the AA seems to fly much faster with the new wing pattern mod.

Ron
ronmar1 is offline Find More Posts by ronmar1
Old Jan 10, 2006, 09:45 AM
Agra, Oklahoma
Joined Feb 2000
5,390 Posts
Whew! After a marathon thread reading session, I have finally read all the posts in thread 1 and 2. I came across the Aeroace at the local Wal-Mart on Sunday and decided to see what was written about it on RC Groups before purchasing. Now I think I'll be heading there tonight to pick one up. Wish I had last night as it's dead calm here and I'm home with a sick son and nothing to do except make soup.

So many interesting models for the hardware - where to begin? I actually like Iter's model for it's unique looks and easy of construction. I'll probably go with that until I grow tired and then either mod an existing free flight foamy or scratch something.

Thanks to all who have posted and inspired!

Steve
Steve McBride is offline Find More Posts by Steve McBride
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:59 AM
lukeselectric-rc
Blackpool, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Mar 2004
661 Posts
hi guys,these little planes look awesome for relaxing and chucking out of my bedroom window in the middle of the night for some night flying!

wheres best to get one in the uk?i started looking for the info but the last thread is so huge i couldnt find it.

also,which plane is prefered by most,the single wing or bipe?

thanks
luke
luke15 is offline Find More Posts by luke15
Old Jan 10, 2006, 12:08 PM
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,411 Posts
iter:

I would like to try making a flying wing as shown in your picture.

It looks like you have added reflex to the outboard sections.

How far back from the leading edge of the main wing did you attach them and at what angle ?

Thanks in advance.
Martyn McKinney is offline Find More Posts by Martyn McKinney
Closed Thread