Old Jan 08, 2006, 08:11 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyboy162
two questions about normal aeroace behavior
1. i though these planes kept flying when they ran out or range of the tx? this one just shuts off
2. when the battery is running low this one it just shuts off. is that normal?
1. My original AeroAces motors would run forever(?) when the TX was shut off with the throttle advanced like would happen when the model got out of range of the transmitter. The one I got this month (Jan) shuts down after a sec or so when I do the same test. (You are the first person to confirm that this was just not a fluke on my plane.)

I assume that they made a change in the circuitry (or command program). Several of us had emailed the factory with suggested changes though it is hard to believe a change could have been made that fast.

2. The Lipo battery in the plane is protected from being overdischarged by a low voltage controller which shuts the motors off when the voltage reaches a preset level.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2006, 08:17 AM
Joined Dec 2005
87 Posts
sounds good, thanks hoppy. i guess these ones must be updated. i wonder what modifications are coming(talked about here in last post link) if the auto shut off has already been adressed?
edit:
hmm i tested it when i first got it and the motors shut off when the reciver was shut off. now the next day (flight right after i posted) it is definatly not shutting down and flew out of control. its either a matter off fresh batterys, fresh plane, or i was plain mistaken yesterday. i can try fresh batterys when its charged next so ill edit again with the findings.
2edit:
fresh tx batterys and the plane continues to run with the tx turned off. kind of a straight forward test i ran when it was first out of the box... weird that i would either be confused or that the circuit would start now behaving differntly after a day of running in the cold and snow(shouldnt make a difference either).
troyboy162 is offline Find More Posts by troyboy162
Last edited by troyboy162; Jan 08, 2006 at 09:24 AM.
Old Jan 08, 2006, 10:15 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,653 Posts
Ah, so the question is still on the table. How about some more testers? Especially from AA's bought recently.

1. - Secure plane to table
2. - Advance throttle to 1/2 or there abouts.
3. - Turn off Tx with throttle in the same position it was in step 2.
4. - Do motors stop in a few seconds or do they continue to run?
Old Jan 08, 2006, 02:51 PM
Stuck on a rock
Faroe Islands, Sandoy, Sandur
Joined Nov 2000
5,741 Posts
I just swapped the original motors on a monoplane for 10ohm motors. These are longer and heavier but since I glued them on directly the net result is that the AUW stays the same. It's been raining so I could only do a test flight across the room but it was obvious that it still has the power to climb at full throttle. The motors consume less amps so flight times should be better.

Michael
epilot is offline Find More Posts by epilot
Old Jan 08, 2006, 04:58 PM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,035 Posts
after having my xtwins for 5 months, and using them almost every day, and having built numerous planes for them, i finally broke one of my RXs. i'm not sure what happened, i had the RX in my G-38 and it was flying fine two days ago, but today i tried putting it in my new tandem wing plane and it wasnt workin so well. for whatever reason, when i plug the battery into the RX, one of the motors spins slowly on its own, even if the TX is off. i unsodered everything and gave it a good looking at under a light and magnifyer, but everything looks fine. fortunately, i have a 2nd one thats still working fine.

anyway, here's the tandem wing plane i made today for the xtwin electronics. 6" wings, 2" chord, AUW of 12 grams. CG was tricky to get right, but its flying nicely now, and a lot slower than i was expecting. i think Plantracos butterfly airframe and electronics would make for a really nice (and incredibly slow) tandem wing plane.

nick
micro_builder is online now Find More Posts by micro_builder
Old Jan 08, 2006, 05:22 PM
Micro Flyer, Big Poster
Joined Feb 2005
1,388 Posts
You may have plugged in the battery in the wrong orientation.... I know what that does to an RX and your symptoms sounds similar!
Pete P is offline Find More Posts by Pete P
Old Jan 08, 2006, 09:33 PM
Suspended Account
United States, UT, Salina
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by micro_builder
after having my xtwins for 5 months, and using them almost every day, and having built numerous planes for them, i finally broke one of my RXs. i'm not sure what happened, i had the RX in my G-38 and it was flying fine two days ago, but today i tried putting it in my new tandem wing plane and it wasnt workin so well. for whatever reason, when i plug the battery into the RX, one of the motors spins slowly on its own, even if the TX is off. i unsodered everything and gave it a good looking at under a light and magnifyer, but everything looks fine. fortunately, i have a 2nd one thats still working fine.

anyway, here's the tandem wing plane i made today for the xtwin electronics. 6" wings, 2" chord, AUW of 12 grams. CG was tricky to get right, but its flying nicely now, and a lot slower than i was expecting. i think Plantracos butterfly airframe and electronics would make for a really nice (and incredibly slow) tandem wing plane.

nick
Do you have thier email address?
Bill
Bilbobaker is offline Find More Posts by Bilbobaker
Old Jan 08, 2006, 09:35 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
epilot
Where did you get the motors?
Bill
Old Jan 08, 2006, 09:37 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete P
You may have plugged in the battery in the wrong orientation.... I know what that does to an RX and your symptoms sounds similar!
That sounds like it to me too.
Old Jan 08, 2006, 09:50 PM
Joined Jul 2005
696 Posts
The earlier fighter jet that I make for the x-twin electronics was a tad on the heavy side. I was not able to get the lift that I wanted, hence I have carded it aside.

That's when I decided to built a QJ similar to Prasadl. The wingspan is 14" and AUW is 16.2g using balsa fuse and foam plates, but without wheels. Paint work was applied using brush and hobby paint (glossy finish).

It flew great, CG was spot on upon installation, and it cruises at low speed, and can handle light wind too due to its robust and slightly heavier frame as compared to my renolds wrap x-twin butterfly. It will definitely not fly away with the wind!

Here's the pics:-

hklam
hklam is offline Find More Posts by hklam
Old Jan 08, 2006, 09:57 PM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,035 Posts
Pete, i thought about that too. but, i've accidently plugged the battery in backwards a number of times over the months (shame on me for not using the polarized plugs!). the times in the past when i did that, it did the same thing, but after plugging it in the right way, it worked fine. maybe i did it one too many times.

Bill, whos email address?

nick
micro_builder is online now Find More Posts by micro_builder
Old Jan 08, 2006, 10:05 PM
Micro Flyer, Big Poster
Joined Feb 2005
1,388 Posts
Yeah, too many times is the culprit!!

@Hk- Nice job!
Pete P is offline Find More Posts by Pete P
Old Jan 09, 2006, 03:45 AM
The ceiling is the limit!
South of England
Joined Aug 2004
1,237 Posts
Look at this photo my brother took when I was flying my x-twin in the garden.
micromad is offline Find More Posts by micromad
Old Jan 09, 2006, 07:31 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hklam

That's when I decided to built a QJ similar to Prasadl. The wingspan is 14" and AUW is 16.2g using balsa fuse and foam plates, but without wheels. Paint work was applied using brush and hobby paint (glossy finish).

It flew great, CG was spot on upon installation, and it cruises at low speed, and can handle light wind too due to its robust and slightly heavier frame as compared to my renolds wrap x-twin butterfly. It will definitely not fly away with the wind!

Here's the pics:-

hklam
Any plans/sketches??
Old Jan 09, 2006, 11:27 AM
♠ ♂ ♠
Mile High City
Joined Dec 2004
473 Posts
moving battery forward DID NOT work for me. My plane would just fall on lowest setting and it required 1/2 throttle to stay up. Losing lots of air in turns.
When I got it stock Biplane or Single mod It would Gain altitude on lowest setting. Flew Like it had helium in it.! When Battery was in stock location I always had it in the lowest throttle setting and with just a little wind It would just stay in one spot, like a harrier jet. Going up & down . Somtimes I could walk under it And even walk faster then it. Its real cool when you get the PerfecT wind and get the Little Aero Ace to fly 2 feet above your head for 5 min!! Going left and right to correct wind gusts. Its not till you start making your own air frame that you fall in love with the Original super super light and snow resistant OEM one.

Can I get some help with the Proper way / Proper type OIL to use on these brushless motors.? Is there a difference in oil i should use between Brushed motors and our AA brushless/coreless ones?? I got one motor that stops 3 seconds before the other. Maybee I should take it apart and lube it up??
bEbOp ? is offline Find More Posts by bEbOp ?
Closed Thread