HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2006, 10:27 AM
Turin, Italy
Joined Aug 2005
57 Posts
Discussion
MPX Twinstar II configuration?

Hi all

I received a Multiplex Twinstar II kit for Xmas...

now the question is... which power system I've to use? I means stock setup is it capable to fly well??

Else what is your power system on this plane?

Thank

Bye

Andrea
Chetto1965 is offline Find More Posts by Chetto1965
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2006, 12:57 PM
put the kettle on....
Paddock Wood, Kent, England.
Joined Sep 2004
264 Posts
Andrea, the model flies very well with the stock motors and props. I've used a 3s2p 5000mah lipo battery with mine which along with a 35amp ESC means the model stays up for 15 mins. With a good ESC the model will fly on any 7-10 cell nicad/nimh pack - the pack size and weight will decide the flying duration. Try the stock motors and see what you think before upgrading though.
Have fun
David.
David A is offline Find More Posts by David A
Old Jan 04, 2006, 03:37 PM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A
Andrea, the model flies very well with the stock motors and props. I've used a 3s2p 5000mah lipo battery with mine which along with a 35amp ESC means the model stays up for 15 mins. With a good ESC the model will fly on any 7-10 cell nicad/nimh pack - the pack size and weight will decide the flying duration. Try the stock motors and see what you think before upgrading though.
Have fun
David.
Hi David,

3s is way too much for the stock motors. A 2s1p Kokam 3200 (or similar) is more than adequate and the model easily stays up for 20min of mixed flying.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Jan 04, 2006, 03:40 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetto1965
Hi all

I received a Multiplex Twinstar II kit for Xmas...

now the question is... which power system I've to use? I means stock setup is it capable to fly well??

Else what is your power system on this plane?

Thank

Bye

Andrea
Hi Andrea,

All you could possibly want to know should be here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380793

Jürgen
Old Jan 04, 2006, 05:45 PM
Hold my beer and watch this!
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2005
2,380 Posts
Andrea: for what it's worth, I just started flying my TwinStar II. I only made it halfway through that mammoth thread Jurgen linked to. (only 44 pages or so)

It flies well enough on the stock power system, as long as there isn't much wind. (less than 10 km/hr) It just doesn't have the thrust to haul that mass up to speed in the wind. On a calm day, it is pure beauty to fly it.

I'm using a 8 cell pack of 3600 mAh NiMH batteries. On a calm day, I get between 18-23 minutes to a flight. If I insist on flying when it's too windy, it's more like 13-16 minutes. I don't do that any more, as it isn't any fun. Every other plane I've got flies better in the wind than the trusty TwinStar II. Upgrading to brushless is a pretty expensive proposition. I think it can be done for about $160 or so. For you, it would be better to do it now if you intend on flying it in the wind. If you wait until you CA the wing spar covers on, it becomes a beast of a job.

The plane will fly 49 mph in stock form, it just doesn't accelerate quickly. (unless you're diving)

A cheap upgrade would be to go to Speed 480 motors. They have the same diameter, and are slightly longer than the Speed 400 motors included with the kit. One person says that it flies about 50% faster with the Speed 480s and slightly larger props.

This plane taught me to appreciate scale flying. While it will do some slow stunts, it is really more fun to just fly this plane scale. I taught myself rudder/aileron coordination on it. I really like the plane.

There's a bunch of good information and links at this site: http://plawner.net (Reviews--> Foamies--> TwinStar II)

Enjoy!

Jeremy
Jeremy Z is offline Find More Posts by Jeremy Z
Old Jan 04, 2006, 06:07 PM
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2005
2,380 Posts
Here are my building tips:
  1. Ditch the stock props. They vibrate too much, and will pull off of the motor shafts eventually. I went with Graupner 5x5 props and a proper prop adapter. It only cost me $16 to do this.
  2. After you solder the caps to the motor, use some hot melt glue or silicone to glue them to the motor chassis. Otherwise, they will vibrate until the cap leads break. I found this out when I looked by chance under there after about 10 flights and there was only one cap left on each motor! (I started with three)
  3. Route the antenna through the "snake" before you glue it into the fuselage. You'll thank me later.
  4. Use petroleum jelly on the ends of the "snakes" when you're glueing them into the fuselage. Otherwise, it is jolly hard to keep from getting CA in the ends of them and screwing everything up. Also use petroleum jelly (Vaseline is the brand name in the USA) on the threads of all the nuts and bolts (nylon and steel) that must be glued anywhere. I applied it with a small, flat-head jeweler's screwdriver. (after I messed up one of the "snakes".)
  5. Install the EZ connector for the rudder on the bottom of the control arm. Otherwise, the pushrod is bent at too sharp of an angle and it binds the servo. Better yet would be to cut a new channel in the outside of the fuselage and route it more directly towards the top of the control arm, but that takes some faith.
  6. If you cut the rudder "snakes" to the length that the instructions recommend, they will be too long. I wound up having to cut mine shorter later, which was a pain. (I had to use a wire-stripper)
  7. In addition to the latch system Multiplex provides to hold the canopy on, use some Velcro. Some people have had them come off in mid-air on the side of a mountain. Mine shook loose during landings, but didn't come off. Other people think the design is brilliant and have never had problems with it. It's not worth the risk of losing it. Be careful when you're reaching into the fuselage to change the battery pack, as it's easy to catch your finger on the latch and bend it out, which will guaruntee that the canopy pops loose.
  8. When hand-launching it, give it a HARD level throw. Make sure you have plenty of room to climb out, as it picks up speed (and climbs) slowly. If possible, launch it the first couple times where it has a little room to drop and pick up speed.
  9. If you have a computer radio, you might want to set it up for flaps. This plane glides forever, and needs some room to land. The first few times, just allow a lot of room for landings and start your approach early. You'll see what I mean.

Despite these things that need some thought & attention, I just love this plane. It is pure beauty in the air. It is one of those planes that looks equally good doing a slow fly-by as the fast ones.

Jeremy
Old Jan 04, 2006, 06:13 PM
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2005
2,380 Posts
Oh, one last tip for assembly. Instead of trying to do everything with medium or thick CA, get some thin CA also. There are many steps (such as putting the tail assembly into the fuselage and glueing the snakes into the fuselage) that are MUCH more easily done with thin CA. You asemble it try, and put the thin CA in the cracks later. Multiplex molded the parts very precisely, so they fit tightly enough that this works. Don't make the mistake of using thin CA when you're glueing the nuts into the fuselage, especially if you didn't use the petroleum jelly trick I mentioned above.
Old Jan 04, 2006, 10:23 PM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,686 Posts
The 5x5 props have too much pitch for this plane; try the 6x3 instead.

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Jan 04, 2006, 11:44 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Z
It flies well enough on the stock power system, as long as there isn't much wind. (less than 10 km/hr) It just doesn't have the thrust to haul that mass up to speed in the wind. On a calm day, it is pure beauty to fly it.
The plane will fly 49 mph in stock form, it just doesn't accelerate quickly. (unless you're diving)
A cheap upgrade would be to go to Speed 480 motors. They have the same diameter, and are slightly longer than the Speed 400 motors included with the kit. One person says that it flies about 50% faster with the Speed 480s and slightly larger props.
Jeremy
Why should a plane capable of doing almost 80km/h having problems penetrating a 10km/h headwind? This is BS.

In order to go 50% faster, you need more than twice the power. No way a long can 400 (=480) will give you that boost in power.

Jürgen
Old Jan 05, 2006, 01:20 AM
Turin, Italy
Joined Aug 2005
57 Posts
Thanks at all for suggestions

I decided I try stock setup on 2S1P battery and I will manage throttle...

Bye

Have a nice year

Andrea
Chetto1965 is offline Find More Posts by Chetto1965