HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2006, 09:49 AM
Joined Feb 2004
337 Posts
Discussion
mixing epoxy

What is the best kind of cup to mix epoxy in? waxed paper cup or plastic cups?

Thanx
Lucky :
ouluckydogu is offline Find More Posts by ouluckydogu
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2006, 10:15 AM
Frequent Flyer
Kalamazoo, MI USA
Joined Aug 2003
2,892 Posts
Waxed paper has the advantage of being disposable. I will often use flat finished cardboard (like a cereal box) to mix small batches of epoxy because I can use a flat scraper to get all the epoxy off, and it also is disposable.
My favorite epoxy applicator is a broken propellor.

Brian
wattsup_kz is offline Find More Posts by wattsup_kz
Old Jan 04, 2006, 10:36 AM
Sam Talley
Nashville, TN
Joined May 2003
299 Posts
You can also use the lid from a coffee can or yogurt container. Expoy will not stick to this type of plastic. The epoxy remaining on the lid can be peeled off when it hardens.
Ranger13 is offline Find More Posts by Ranger13
Old Jan 04, 2006, 11:12 AM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,140 Posts
It is best not to use any wax coated container as the wax will (and does) contaminate the mix. Even plain paper is better. Try to always use a very shallow container for mixing epoxies to prevent premature curing. A thick layer will heat up faster and self cure much quicker than a shallow container will.
Rodney is offline Find More Posts by Rodney
Old Jan 04, 2006, 11:34 AM
Joined Feb 2004
337 Posts
Thanks guys for the replies but what I intend to do is mix up an ounce of glue with some lead shot in it and pour that into the nose of my opus. Need to be able to squeeze the cup sides and make kind of a pouring spout out of it. I thought a waxed dixie cup would work, but I dont want the cup to melt and get glue everywhere, I will be using a thin epoxy that I think has a 45 minute set time.
Lucky
ouluckydogu is offline Find More Posts by ouluckydogu
Old Jan 04, 2006, 11:40 AM
Frequent Flyer
Kalamazoo, MI USA
Joined Aug 2003
2,892 Posts
What is the nose of your Opus made of? Could you use paraffin instead of epoxy, or would the heat do damage? Paraffin melts beween 45 and 67 degrees C. (113-152 degrees F) of course, if you are in a hot climate then paraffin would be a bad idea.

Brian
wattsup_kz is offline Find More Posts by wattsup_kz
Old Jan 04, 2006, 12:30 PM
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE!!
Knoxville Tyson, Tennesse, United States
Joined Feb 2004
564 Posts
If mixing larger quantities I use the small plactic "pill cups" like you see at the hospital. Most all hobby Shops carry them. Drug stores too.

If mixing small quantities I use a small tablets of "Post-its". You know the little stick up note tabs. Just use one and peal it off when done.

Ron
ronmar1 is offline Find More Posts by ronmar1