HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2006, 12:07 PM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,245 Posts
Amazing that after all the planes that have come around, and all the pitcherons/wingerons, you can still come up with something that looks TOTALLY ORIGINAL!! WOW IS RIGHT!
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2006, 07:39 PM
Southern California
Joined Sep 2003
6,924 Posts
Looking sweet!!!! Once you have the mold-- how long before we get some fuse's??? I'll stretch my wing to 50" so I can see the little thing--- keep up the good work!!!
Timmig
timmig is online now Find More Posts by timmig
Old Mar 23, 2006, 07:53 PM
Vitruvian JART
San Francisco
Joined Mar 2003
5,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch
Does anybody know if this clay will work for sealing the gap between the plug and the parting tray? I figured that since Tap was selling it in the mold section, it could be the right stuff.

-hutch
I've used it and it's great. Peel off a little at a time and roll it out long and thin. Stuff it into the gap and yer good to go!

I'm with the crowd, Hutch - you've got your hook in a real beauty, there.
Reed is offline Find More Posts by Reed
Old Mar 23, 2006, 10:10 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,527 Posts
Put me on the list for a fuse that pretty, good luck, your off to a good start
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Apr 01, 2006, 02:58 AM
Slopeaholic
Roseville, California, United States
Joined Mar 2001
3,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmig
Looking sweet!!!! Once you have the mold-- how long before we get some fuse's??? I'll stretch my wing to 50" so I can see the little thing--- keep up the good work!!!
Timmig
50" sounds like a good size...maybe I'll draw up some "old eyes" wings.

Maybe we can work out some sort of Sushi meets Mig thing at Los Banos this year if you are going to be there.
Hutch is offline Find More Posts by Hutch
Old Apr 01, 2006, 03:14 AM
Cho Oi! Hay Qua!
Here
Joined May 2003
4,033 Posts
I missed out Brian's Ultron. I'm intrested in this fuse. It's looking great. I want mine with Salmon or Octopus..

-Tomi
tomi is offline Find More Posts by tomi
Old Apr 01, 2006, 03:20 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined Mar 2001
3,098 Posts
The Canopy...redux

So I have been thinking about the canopy again. The other night I started laying some masking tape down to figure out the lines. Since it's hard to pull off something symmetrical when you can't see both sides at the same time I kept the side I liked on and rubbed some tin foil over the plug. This transferred the tape line to the foil. So my next move was to scan the foil transfer so I had a picture to insert into my cad file. Using the foil scan I was able to trace the line and mirror it in cad. Bingo I had a full size template to use now to get the lines on both sides of the fuse.

Well paper doesn't confirm to the compound curves very well so it was back to the foil. After about an hour of getting the foil template centered on the plug I ran some new tape around the edge of the foil. Ta Daa I pulled the foil off and now I have a very symmetrical canopy line.

I just have to figure out what to do with it now. I have decided that I am going to mold the fuse , and then make a separate canopy mold.

Does anyone know if I just score the plug with a razor blade if it will show up in the mold as a visible line? My other thought was to spray some clear paint over the masking tape to seal it and mold right over that. I would hate to ruin a mold because of some freekin masking tape though.

Enough talk for now... here are some pics.

By the way I just want to thank you all for the kudos. These suckers are a lot of work, but it's a lot of fun too. I was thinking the other day how I could have probably made three of four lost foam fuses by now, but heck it's STILL raining, so I might as well have some fun with this.

-hutch
Old Apr 01, 2006, 03:22 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined Mar 2001
3,098 Posts
Got my parting board cut out too. Fits pretty good. I need to attach some more supports underneath for the clay platforms. The point of no return is rapidly approaching!
Old Apr 01, 2006, 03:35 AM
Cho Oi! Hay Qua!
Here
Joined May 2003
4,033 Posts
I think scoring the outline of the canopy would be a good idea. It'll show up on the mold.

-Tomi
tomi is offline Find More Posts by tomi
Old Apr 01, 2006, 10:49 AM
Portland Intl, Oregon, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,159 Posts
HUTCH,
I am no expert on molding so my advice here might not be worth much, but its something to think about.
When I made the Pica mold, before I made the fuse mold I made the hatch mold.
I just waxed and PVAed the plug in the area where the hatch would be. Then I layed up several layers of glass epoxy over it, and removed it when it cured. Then I used that as my hatch mold. I layed up a couple light weight hatches and messed around with trimming them to see how I wanted the hatch to be.
Then on my fuse mold I cut out the opening where the hatch would be and glued a thin piece of material all around inside the hatch opeing so when a fuse gets molded there is a recessed area for the hatch to sit in.....

Sounds kinda complicated but it really isnt....

Your project is looking really good, by the way....

TIM
A6INTRUDER is offline Find More Posts by A6INTRUDER
Last edited by A6INTRUDER; Apr 01, 2006 at 12:59 PM.
Old Apr 01, 2006, 12:34 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,527 Posts
I second Tim's vote, that is the way I mold hatches. The score line wll easily show up in both molds
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Apr 01, 2006, 08:30 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined Mar 2001
3,098 Posts
Well it looks like the jury has spoken. After a few deep breaths I went to it. I waxed the fuse a few more times, and covered the front half of the fuse in PVA. While I let that dry I cut out my fiberglass. Then I glassed up the hatch area. So far so good. It was actually a good warm up for the main event, I am glad that I did this part first(so far at least). I'll let this cure overnight and pop it off sometime tomorrow.

-hutch
Old Apr 01, 2006, 08:32 PM
more casual than stylish....
Joined Jan 2003
6,953 Posts
Great work Hutch- what did you scribe the canopy line with?
slopemeno is offline Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old Apr 01, 2006, 11:16 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined Mar 2001
3,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopemeno
Great work Hutch- what did you scribe the canopy line with?
I just traced along the masked lines with a fresh exacto. Then I peeled the tape off. It left enough of a ridge that it should show up in the mold.
Old Apr 02, 2006, 06:04 AM
Something MUST FLY!
OC, there is no "The OC"
Joined Jun 2004
1,070 Posts
Looks great, the anticipation builds!
IMoonBark is offline Find More Posts by IMoonBark