HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2006, 12:41 AM
Slopeaholic
Roseville, California, United States
Joined Mar 2001
3,098 Posts
Boy am I starting to get excited, I like the way the wings came out. Very slender, but still pretty stiff. Ed, your bellcranks were exactly what I had in mind. The ply and glass ones I have made before always seem to eventually get kinda loosey goosey after time. I forgot to mention before that the wing rod is 1/4", I wanted to run with the biggest one I could possibly fit within that wing thickness.

So where I am at right now is the spot where I need to dig out some foam in the leading edge and fill it with a mixture of milled fiberglass and epoxy(Thanks again Ed!). This will serve as the meat for the drive pin once I get the root rib glued on. Then it's just some light glass on the bias and I am ready for primer and paint. I really hope my basswood shows up soon. I'm all psyched up to take the sushi plug challenge.

And now some more pictures to bring everything up to date....

-hutch
Hutch is offline Find More Posts by Hutch
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2006, 02:24 AM
PWP!
USA, HI, Makawao
Joined Oct 2002
3,911 Posts
Oh man, they are TINY!

This is sweet. Can't wait to see the first bench flying pic!
ajroahkni is offline Find More Posts by ajroahkni
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:09 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,859 Posts
Lookin' good!
Put those babies back into the bag with a mylar/krylon and some glass!

T
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Jan 10, 2006, 11:22 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined Mar 2001
3,098 Posts
Man I'd love to bag them...unfortunately the only vacuum bags I have here say Hoover on them! I have been wanting to give bagging a run, I just gotta get all of the right materials together in one place!
Last edited by Hutch; Jan 10, 2006 at 12:29 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 12:58 PM
Ain't Dutch? Ain't Mutch!
Southampton, UK
Joined Oct 2001
3,384 Posts
I like those wings..... not so sure about the elevator..... a bit fishy.

Please keep at it...... i am reading this!

J.
Kimble_Schmitz is offline Find More Posts by Kimble_Schmitz
Old Jan 10, 2006, 01:48 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch
Man I'd love to bag them...unfortunately the only vacuum bags I have here say Hoover on them! I have been wanting to give bagging a run, I just gotta get all of the right materials together in one place!

Actually, in second thought, saving the weight with a light weight, low temp covering, probably would be better. I've just grown to hate iron on covering. I bagged uni-carbon over a set of 1/64th ply sheeted Samurai wings, and they came out excellent!

T
Old Jan 10, 2006, 02:01 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined Mar 2001
3,098 Posts
I bet those things were stiff! I have grown tired of the iron on covering too. That's why I'm going to be finishing with light glass here. It'll stay nice and smooth, and never bubble and peel up.

-hutch
Old Jan 10, 2006, 02:28 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,859 Posts
They are very stiff. It's nice to bag twist wing planes, there are no surfaces to cut and hinge, so they are very easy to do over wood.
I sent you a PM.

T
Old Jan 17, 2006, 12:42 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined Mar 2001
3,098 Posts
Well, It sure has been a while it seems, but I had to slow down a bit while I'm waiting for my plug material to...um materialize. Sooo, In the meantime I installed the 1/8" ply root ribs, which means that tonight was glassing night. Target suggested that I bag the glass on to the wings. And after seeing a few pics of what the finished product looks like that really seems like the sweet stuff. Buuut I just want to get this thing in the air, and if it is a horrible failure, I would hate to be responsible for wasting a pretty pair of wings. I'll definitely want to give it a try on Sushi #002 though. So to make a long story short, I got some glass on the wings tonight...
Old Jan 17, 2006, 12:49 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined Mar 2001
3,098 Posts
Oh and on a side note....another BIG distraction arrived today!
Old Jan 17, 2006, 12:59 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,859 Posts
Looks like the dust will be a-flyin'!

T
Old Jan 17, 2006, 01:32 AM
Salem, OR
Joined Sep 2002
884 Posts
Dude, looking good! More details on the mechincal interface between the wind rods and servos please! I've never had a twisting wing plane, but have always wanted to make one.

COOL
frankswd is offline Find More Posts by frankswd
Old Jan 17, 2006, 02:04 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined Mar 2001
3,098 Posts
Thanks frank! There are quite a few ways to skin a cat when it comes to linkages. Unless you are using the Winchdoc's trick hardware they pretty much all seem to follow the same basic formula though. The wing rotates on the wing rod, and forward of the wing rod are a set of drive pins embedded into the wing. These generally engage a cam mechanism in the fuse which is then driven by the servos. Whether it is a wingeron or a pitcheron that part of the setup stays the same. The difference is that with the pitcheron there is one servo per wing panel, and the wingeron only requires one servo to drive both wings.

Check out Brian's thread on setups, and you will see a few different ways to make the connection...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127453

-hutch
Last edited by Hutch; Jan 17, 2006 at 02:53 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 02:08 AM
Salem, OR
Joined Sep 2002
884 Posts
Thanks for the info! I'll check that link out soon. Me and some of my friends are interested in doing somthing like this. Not many pitcherons or wingers on my slopes, certainly not enough
frankswd is offline Find More Posts by frankswd
Old Jan 18, 2006, 12:01 PM
Firecracker!
San Francisco & Santa Cruz
Joined Oct 2004
2,364 Posts
Looks like it's coming along nicely. I'm really enjoying this thread. Some day it would be fun to build one of these.

Bill
BillO is offline Find More Posts by BillO