HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2006, 03:34 AM
Slopeaholic
Roseville, California, United States
Joined Mar 2001
3,098 Posts
It was a slow night for building due to the hockey game. Go Sharks! Got the wing rod tube installed in the wings, and I got the stab cut out and laminated.
Hutch is offline Find More Posts by Hutch
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2006, 04:14 AM
Charlie
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Dec 2004
422 Posts
I see that you have no dihedral at all? Isthis normal for wingerons, I have put a little bit -- maybe 1/2" a side on the two 60" pixel clones that I have built. I thought it was needed?
daedaluscan is offline Find More Posts by daedaluscan
Old Jan 06, 2006, 10:03 AM
Yes, ALL your money...
A hut in the woods in Oregon
Joined Jan 2003
2,536 Posts
Twisty-wing planes almost all have a straight wingrod. Any dihedral would be from angling the tubes in the wing root. I think the Pixel does it this way. My Kestrel has a very thin wing section, and the effective dihedral is not very much, only enough to keep it from looking like ANhedral!
winchdoc is offline Find More Posts by winchdoc
Last edited by winchdoc; Jan 06, 2006 at 09:24 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2006, 10:40 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined Mar 2001
3,098 Posts
daedaluscan,

With the thickness of this wing I couldn't have really put much dihedral in it even if I wanted to. There really isn't any room to angle the tubes unless I were to go to a smaller wingrod. It was a pretty tight fit, just enough room for a coating of splooge on the top and bottom.

-hutch
Old Jan 06, 2006, 12:20 PM
more casual than stylish....
Joined Jan 2003
6,985 Posts
I have a CR Turbo that I removed nearly all the dihedral from in an attempt to get a nearly-neutral handling plane.(8020 airfoil, no dihedral, way-back CG, moved the wingrod down in the fuse 5/8", etc) and its still over stable. Poly is totally unnecessary. If youre trying to get better ligh-lift "coreing" (if thats a word..)performance, I would play with differential.
slopemeno is online now Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old Jan 06, 2006, 09:08 PM
Portland Intl, Oregon, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,173 Posts
When I built the first verision of the Pica I had no dihedral in it and to be honest
it did fly all that well. Kind of unstable and didnt track all that well. Wouldnt fly straight very well either.
On the next generations, I added a small amount of dihedral and they are really stable
and track well.
Then again they are Pitcherons not wingerons and maybe that makes a difference too.

Looking forward to seeing the reports on the Sushi maiden flights, thanks for sharing the build with us

TIM
A6INTRUDER is offline Find More Posts by A6INTRUDER
Old Jan 06, 2006, 09:41 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined Mar 2001
3,098 Posts
Ineresting Tim,

Well, I may end up having to eek a little dihedral out of the next set of wings if I enounter the same problems the Pica did. I wonder if the difference between a conventional tail and a V-tail has anything to do with it.
Old Jan 07, 2006, 04:54 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined Mar 2001
3,098 Posts
Since I had to join the inner and the outer cores together, I decided to do a little experiment. I ran out of my last can of foam safe 3M77, and I decided to see what the new stuff was all about. I have heard a lot about it being dangerous for using on foam, so I wanted to see what I was up against. I took some scrap foam and started spraying.....
Old Jan 07, 2006, 05:10 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined Mar 2001
3,098 Posts
You all must be sick of seeing me build this wing by now. My basswood didn't show up in the mail today so no plug carving this weekend. I got my wings sheeted though!!!

-hutch
Old Jan 07, 2006, 12:22 PM
San Diego
Joined Mar 2003
2,320 Posts
Quote:
You all must be sick of seeing me build this wing by now
No way! Keep it coming! I love scratch builds!
Ward Hagaman is online now Find More Posts by Ward Hagaman
Old Jan 07, 2006, 12:36 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,859 Posts
Ditto!

T
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Jan 07, 2006, 01:14 PM
Ain't Dutch? Ain't Mutch!
Southampton, UK
Joined Oct 2001
3,384 Posts
Still want to know what you are doing with those books tho!

Keep it coming.

J.
Kimble_Schmitz is offline Find More Posts by Kimble_Schmitz
Old Jan 07, 2006, 02:34 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimble_Schmitz
Still want to know what you are doing with those books tho!

Keep it coming.

J.

He's using them as weights-heavy with knowledge.
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Jan 07, 2006, 03:33 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined Mar 2001
3,098 Posts
K.S.

About two years ago I took ground school with the intention of getting my pilots license. Unfortunately after finishing class and passing the test, I had to end up putting the dream on hold for a while. Lately I have been thinking about starting back up again but going the sailplane route instead. We'll see!!

-hutch
Old Jan 07, 2006, 03:43 PM
Minneapolis
Joined Feb 2004
698 Posts
Dihedral? Yes

I might be a bit late to the table but The Shrike, Shredder, Spyder all have dihedral. Yes, not a lot but it is intentionally there. You really can't see it because there is just a smidge. (engineer talk)

As Doug suggested it takes away the appearance of anhedral but it also helps with flight performance as Tim mentioned.

In a plane as small as your design you could easily use a 1/4" wing rod without any problem.

The wing planform and tail group look fantastic. I love what you are doing. If you need laser cut Delrin wing control cams let me know. I am sure the ones that I use on the Shrike would work well in this design.

Good luck. It's great to see all these great new twist wing birds showing up.

Ed
SkyKing RC is offline Find More Posts by SkyKing RC