SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 01, 2006, 09:00 PM
Slopeaholic
Roseville, California, United States
Joined Mar 2001
3,098 Posts
As a rule, Davenport is usually only straight in and blowing when I am not there. I was really surprised how much lift there actually was for how crossways it was blowing.
Hutch is offline Find More Posts by Hutch
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2006, 09:24 PM
find me @samotage
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jul 2005
8,362 Posts
Bring on the wasabi baby!

Looks like a fish, rolls like a Jart.
Hutch, what you have there is a work of Art.

Bewudifuuul
samotage is offline Find More Posts by samotage
Old Jun 01, 2006, 09:54 PM
Oceanside CA
Joined Dec 2004
4,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch
As a rule, Davenport is usually only straight in and blowing when I am not there. I was really surprised how much lift there actually was for how crossways it was blowing.
Figured the wind was off angle, because those turns the trinity was making in infopimps video were a little strange lookin'.
Mr. Innocent is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Innocent
Old Jun 03, 2006, 11:54 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined Mar 2001
3,098 Posts
Durability Testing

I got a chance to see how the sushi would stand up to a full speed nose down crash from altitude today. By the time I realized that she was being flown by two transmitters wrestling to take control it was much too late to do anything. (It's not a very exciting story how it happened, but mainly it was just an oopsy daisy, misunderstanding, and pretty much my fault) So I made the long walk down to the beach and hiked towards where I last saw it disappear at the far end of the slope. I was thinking the worst... in the water, in a million pieces, I'll have to make another one now and so on. Well I got to where I thought it was and was scanning the waves for any telltale shark fins...nothing. Then I just happened to look over at the cliff, and about 50 feet away from me was the sushi sticking up out of a recent slide at the base of the hill, nose buried and looking all too much like one of those wooden crosses you see on the sides of curvy roads. So I climbed up about 10 feet to where she was poking out, fuse buried up to the canopy in the dried sludge. At first I was very surprised to see all the parts in the same place I had last installed them. Then as I walked back up the beach, I found that aside from a few new scratches in my finish, and some cracked filler there was nothing structurally wrong with it at all.

Once I got back to the top of the hill and caught my breath I tossed her off and finished the flight I had started.

*phew* Lucky ducky I guess.

-hutch
Old Jun 04, 2006, 02:52 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
10,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch
...I found that aside from a few new scratches in my finish, and some cracked filler there was nothing structurally wrong with it at all.
Build'em to last, and they will
Up&Away is offline Find More Posts by Up&Away
Old Jun 04, 2006, 07:14 AM
find me @samotage
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jul 2005
8,362 Posts
Far out! Lucky lady luck.
Old Jun 04, 2006, 10:23 AM
Vitruvian JART
San Francisco
Joined Mar 2003
5,023 Posts
IST - Inadvertent Structural Testing

Had one yesterday with my Aircobra. Got faked out by what seemed to be plenty of air at my local slope. Not a full speed test but she survived with nary a scratch. I however, needed the rest of the night to recover from the USC (Unusually Steep Climb).
Reed is offline Find More Posts by Reed
Old Jun 04, 2006, 12:13 PM
Salem, OR
Joined Sep 2002
884 Posts
Great Vid!!
So, I'm back to trying to figure out how I can get one put together with the least amount of work what you think?
frankswd is offline Find More Posts by frankswd
Old Jun 15, 2006, 07:22 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined Mar 2001
3,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed
IST - Inadvertent Structural Testing

Had one yesterday with my Aircobra. Got faked out by what seemed to be plenty of air at my local slope. Not a full speed test but she survived with nary a scratch. I however, needed the rest of the night to recover from the USC (Unusually Steep Climb).

I almost got to try the USC today. I had a job to go look at close by and it was a fogless day! So as part of my envelope expansion program for the Sushi, I thought I would see how it's light lift performance was. The wind was only between 10-13 but it was straight in. I figured why not...begin survival mode. It was just on the on the wrong side of not quite enough, which surprised me a bit. Spent the entire flight below me building enough energy to get up over the lip and down safe. I'm guessing that I could have eventually got it going once I got back up into the sky, but I had to get back to the office.

So in conclusion I think I found the lower comfortable limit of wind speed for the Sushi. Above 15 at least and I'm guessing it's all smiles.

-hutch
Old Jun 15, 2006, 10:48 PM
find me @samotage
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jul 2005
8,362 Posts
How about a lighter wing option, perhaps with a liftier foil like an RG-15?
Old Jun 15, 2006, 11:24 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined Mar 2001
3,098 Posts
Maybe that along with a 50" wing would work too for lighter wind work...but on the other hand, I have other planes that love to fly in the lighter stuff. In the meantime I'll just fly her in better wind...or let a better pilot fly her.

-hutch
Old Jun 17, 2006, 10:13 PM
Salem, OR
Joined Sep 2002
884 Posts
RG 15 is a good foil! if you were starting over of course. A weapon for every wind that's a good sloper approach
frankswd is offline Find More Posts by frankswd
Old Jun 18, 2006, 09:52 PM
find me @samotage
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jul 2005
8,362 Posts
My understanding not to detract from Rolfs work in any way... is that the "RG" stands for "Really Good"