HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 03, 2006, 12:43 PM
Long to be flyin'
Wirral, (UK)
Joined Dec 2003
3,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch
................ Sure was nice to sit on the couch in front of the TV. You don't realize how nice it is to have chairs with cushions sometimes. I did get through about two thirds of the Da Vinci Code by the light of the lantern at night though.

-hutch

The only two pics I took worth sharing......
Sounds like a great time . Know that feeling…I really appreciate creature comforts after a hard day at the hill, once went all day at the slope in mid winter including flying cross-country 15 miles non-stop for about 5 hours, home sure felt great after that outing.

Tony.
Antonsoarer is offline Find More Posts by Antonsoarer
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2006, 03:23 PM
Slopeaholic
Roseville, California, United States
Joined Mar 2001
3,098 Posts
Tony,

It sure was a blast, and I can't wait till next year...hopefully I'll have the ASK-18 done by then.

In other news, once again I couldn't wait till I got home from work to pop my first fuse out of the mold. I trimmed off the major flashing and gave it a quick wipe down to start getting the PVA layer off. As you can see I got a little messy with the filler on the tail. It is lighter than I expected, and once I get the servo tray in there, and the wing rod reinforcement in I believe it will be plenty stiff. If it isn't though WHO CARES!!! I'll make another! I didn't get any pics of the layup and joining process since I was too busy racing the epoxy. All in all, I will need to do some sanding of the seam as there is a little ridge there, and do some filling, and It seems like I got a very useable piece my first time out!

Some definite lessons I learned right off were to trim your template for the fabric a little closer than I did, it will make your life much easier when you are fitting everything into the nooks and crannies. Also, in the tip of the fin, and the rear bottom of the fin I think I would put a layer of thickened epoxy down first to help make laying the fabric in that area a little less critical. I got a few air bubbles that need to be filled.

So without further ado, I submit for your criticism and scrutiny Sushi fuse #001

-hutch
Hutch is offline Find More Posts by Hutch
Old May 03, 2006, 03:39 PM
Vitruvian JART
San Francisco
Joined Mar 2003
5,018 Posts
Looks like your luck held. Congratulations - great looking first piece.
Reed is offline Find More Posts by Reed
Old May 03, 2006, 04:41 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
20,837 Posts
How much does it weigh?

T
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old May 03, 2006, 04:53 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined Mar 2001
3,098 Posts
I dunno how much it weighs yet, I forgot to put it on a scale before I headed back to work. I'll let you know after wednesday night golf night. It really isn't too much which is good considering the wing area on this bird. The wing loading starts going up pretty darn quick.

I have a renewed excitement now since after 4 months I can finally start working on the actual airplane again! Freekin' molds take a long time!!! Talk about home stretch, here we go baby!
Old May 03, 2006, 05:52 PM
Westerly Windina
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,047 Posts
Go baby go! Nice!
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old May 03, 2006, 06:01 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
20,837 Posts
Quote:
I dunno how much it weighs yet, I forgot to put it on a scale before I headed back to work. I'll let you know after wednesday night golf night. It really isn't too much which is good considering the wing area on this bird. The wing loading starts going up pretty darn quick.

I have a renewed excitement now since after 4 months I can finally start working on the actual airplane again! Freekin' molds take a long time!!! Talk about home stretch, here we go baby!

It does look very nice; congrats on the success.
I can't wait either to see the finished product.

T
Old May 03, 2006, 06:17 PM
find me @samotage
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jul 2005
8,362 Posts
That looks absolutely brilliant, and testament to all the work which went into the plug.

Love that tail. Wasabi anyone?
samotage is offline Find More Posts by samotage
Old May 03, 2006, 11:41 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined Mar 2001
3,098 Posts
Wasabi baby!!

The fuse as shown came out to about 2.5 ounces. Pretty light, but once it is all said and done I'm guessing it will end up around 15-18 ounces ready to fly. Pretty much what I was shooting for...light and slippery. Only way to find out is to keep on going!

-hutch
Old May 04, 2006, 12:55 AM
PNF
Los Gatos, CA
Joined May 2005
4,422 Posts
Spicy.
infopimp is offline Find More Posts by infopimp
Old May 04, 2006, 01:40 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined Mar 2001
3,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed
Looks like your luck held. Congratulations - great looking first piece.
It really does feel like luck Reed...there are so many things to mess up along the way I'm pretty amazed I got this far without any major ups. It's not that it was super hard, but you definitely have to kick up your meticulosity a notch. I could have definitely done a little better job finishing the plug, but you get to a point where you just want to get on with it already!!

Speaking of getting on with it, the fuse has been washed trimmed and sanded, and is now sitting on the porch with it's first coat of primer drying. Tomorrow or Friday, I fill the ugly spots.

Meanwhile I will be printing out templates for the 1/8" ply plates that will double up the wingrod and actuator mounts. I also have to make myself a 1/8" ply servo tray that will double as an anti-crush brace at the wing LE.

I have gathered up the gear I will need too. Even though it is probably overkill I made sure that the fuse had enough room for the new Airtronics 94761Z servos, and I have a set of Skyking's Shrike actuators. Those baby's are beefy and way better than anything I have made with ply and glass in the past. I haven't figured out what I am doing for a battery yet, but it will likely end up being one of SR batteries sweet NiCad packs.

Suppose it's off to bed for me now!

-hutch
Old May 04, 2006, 09:51 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
20,837 Posts
That is awesomely light! Way to go!

T
Old May 04, 2006, 10:35 PM
Something MUST FLY!
OC, there is no "The OC"
Joined Jun 2004
1,070 Posts
Very cool! Looks great!
IMoonBark is offline Find More Posts by IMoonBark
Old May 05, 2006, 12:41 AM
OGT back from '92
San Jose, Ca
Joined Feb 2006
677 Posts
Yummi, Yummy!!!
Sor Thum is offline Find More Posts by Sor Thum
Old May 05, 2006, 12:44 AM
Vitruvian JART
San Francisco
Joined Mar 2003
5,018 Posts
Just want to make sure you know I was riffing on that middle picture with the horseshoe - it's even turned up so that the luck doesn't run out!

Quote:
It really does feel like luck Reed...there are so many things to mess up along the way I'm pretty amazed I got this far without any major ups.
-hutch
Reed is offline Find More Posts by Reed