HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2006, 09:48 AM
Joined Jan 2006
6 Posts
Discussion
barracuda elevator servo POSITION

this is my first attempt at this forum, seems an exellent site!!
Ihave just bought a barrcuda but am not sure where to fix the elevator servo?
the snake seems rather flimsy for the the job, especially the distance it has
to travel? Would the fin be a usefull possition? also if so what mounting procedure would be adviseable.
Any advice would be appreciated.
SIMON.
SIMON NARBETT is offline Find More Posts by SIMON NARBETT
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2006, 06:07 AM
Dale Lindsay
Mt Airy, Maryland, United States
Joined Sep 2001
653 Posts
Simon,

First, weclome aboard the Ezone!

I purchased a Reichard Baracuda from Esprit. I asked the same question (assuming we're talking the same plane here). It was told that putting the elevator servo in the tail was fine. Use a low-profile (thin) servo. Esprit has them as do many other places. I was also told to keep the rudder servo up front in the tray.

After thinking about it I decided to move forward with both servos up front in the tray mainly because I was worried about being able to achieve the proper CG with such a LONG tail section. The rods travel through openings in the servo bulkhead, and have to pass through a foam "plug" that keeps them secure inside the fuse, plus need to be glued at point of exit through the fuse. I think this is going to be more than secure so I'm not going to deviate from the recommendations.

Plus, I couldn't bring myself to "cut" through the tail of the plane

Are we talking the same plane here? 118" span, ARF, etc?
DaleM is offline Find More Posts by DaleM
Old Jan 20, 2006, 05:31 PM
Joined Jan 2006
6 Posts
Hello Dale
Thanks for your reply, yes it is the same moedel
what an amazing site you are the first reply i have recieved on this system the world seems so small these days, i have been flying model gliders since 1986 and have only recently delved into electric ,the first electric model i bought was the elegent from the Reichard model company baisically a 2.7m floater with an AXI 28-20-12 brushless motor
and flies very well, but getting back to the barracuda thanks for taking the time to reply to my queston Dale and i will take your advice on the servo. Iam from West Wales in the UK about 6 miles from the coast where i go slope soaring over the sea or i have a large flat field to do a bit of thermalling or i can go to the hills east of where i live so really im spoilt for choise I was taught to fly back in 1986 by a lovley chap called Russ who was in the RAF and i still keep in toutch, there is no model gliding club around here only power which i have no interest, but i see by this forum that the hobby is alive and well and full of interesting people.Kind regards Simon.
SIMON NARBETT is offline Find More Posts by SIMON NARBETT
Old Jan 20, 2006, 10:51 PM
Dale Lindsay
Joined Sep 2001
653 Posts
Simon, please let me know how your build progresses. I'm in the process of rigging and such. I received my motor today (brushless) because I don't have the luxory of so many "select" motorless flying sites as you! (Joking!).

I'm a little surprised at the lack of packing when the plane arrived. I am lucky though that it arrived without a dent or scratch.

Looking forward to your progress and flight reports!

Dale
Old Jan 23, 2006, 06:32 AM
Pesky Landings!
Abergele, North Wales, UK
Joined Apr 2004
1,113 Posts
Hi Simon/Dale.

I'm building a Reichard Baracuda at the moment too. I've not really had enough time to finish it yet, but I have so far completed the wings, and I am just about to start the install of the gear in the fuselage. I am using a couple of standard sized servos (MPX royal digis) up just in front of the wing joiner on mine. I also contemplated putting a thin servo in the tail, using an access hatch in the fin post. I decided against it in the end due to the weight so far behind the required CG, and also due to the weakening of the fuselage/tail.

I started a build thread on here a while back, I really must get round to updating it soon!

Cheers
Andy

PS. If you think the world is small, I'm based up near Rhyl in North Wales! The world just got a bit smaller
bigandy is offline Find More Posts by bigandy
Old Jan 23, 2006, 07:21 AM
Dale Lindsay
Joined Sep 2001
653 Posts
Andy,

Thanks for the response. I'm going to start posting what I've done so far on here. I'm very interested in what each of you come up with as you move along.

Small world so far?? So far I'm the one furthest away considering I'm on "this" side of the pond!

Have either of you set up the ailerons with the required throw? Do the recommended throws seems a little low to you?

For servos I'm using all HS81s. IT's what I had laying around. I emailed Esprit and they mentioned it should be fine. I'm not intending this to be a hotliner.

Hope to hear more soon!

Dale
Old Jan 23, 2006, 10:16 AM
Pesky Landings!
Abergele, North Wales, UK
Joined Apr 2004
1,113 Posts
Hi Dale,

I'm using HS-81's in the wings too. I did dleiberate over using Metal gear servos in on the flaps, as I intend to be able to lower them as much as possible (MG servos should help in case the flaps are not retracted before landing, and catch on the ground). I'm aiming for up to 90° of flap movement, as they are bottom hinged, and can easily deflect this much, providing the servo can drive them that far.

In the end, I went with the plain Nylon gears, as I would prefer to replace a gearset on an untidy landing, than replace a servo linkage, and possibly risk breaking the control surface. the theory is that the gears will strip before any damage is done to anything else.

With the ailerons, then I intend to run them with very little down travel, and as much up travel as possible. The aim here is to try and reduce the chance of tipstall at low airspeed, but minimising the amount of camber that can be dialled in to the outer section of the wing when the aileron is deflected down.. As for the recommended rates, then I'm not sure. I have never flown a plane bigger than 1.6m span before, so I don't know if the recommended rates are in the right ball park or not. My philosophy is to build in the most amount of movement on the understanding that it can be reduced easily. Getting more movement is a pain though!

I'm going to be using a Mega 22/45/3E motor on mine coupled to a 14x9 prop on either a 14 or 16 cell pack. I don't know if that would put it in the Hotliner class or not, but I would hazard a guess that this plane will never be an all out speed machine due to the rather thick wing section.

cheers
Andy
bigandy is offline Find More Posts by bigandy
Old Jan 23, 2006, 04:49 PM
Dale Lindsay
Joined Sep 2001
653 Posts
I think nylon gearing is a good idea. I had one metal gear on the bench and just opt'd to use that in the elevator. I ended up putting in more than the recommended throw. The recommended just didn't look like enough. Like you I have only experience on a 2.2 M plane and nothing this large so maybe the lesser throw is all that's needed. Regardless I'll dial it out if need be. Initially I could flap a breeze with them they had so much throw!

I'm going with a Hyperion 3025-10 outrunner driving the 14x9 folder. I don't have any experience with a motor this size/type. I'm going with a speed controller by Lightflightrc. It's 60A continuous, 80 surge and at $49.95 it's a good deal. Nothing fancy but it's lipoly aware so that leaves me with some future options.

Have either of you gotten to the horizontal stab mounting? I am looking at the instructions and they don't mention where to align the stab. Do you align it at the LE or the TE of the stab? Or, somewhere in between when it comes to mounting on top of the vert stab? Does that question make sense?

All wing servos are in and functioning. I hope to get to the fuse section tonight.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 09:57 PM
Dale Lindsay
Joined Sep 2001
653 Posts
Well, I got the wing fitted to the fuse and the horizontal stab set. I was having problems getting the wings to fit tight to the fuse. I found in one of the holes where the steel rod goes a piece of left over filler or 'plug' used when I guess the tubes are glued in place. I had to jam a threaded rod down in, twist it and pulled out the "stuff". Now the wing fits well. Also I had to sand the two steel rods to allow them to slip into the wings easier.

I was a little disappointed in the fact that the nylon bolts that were sent were of a different thread type/count than the small blind nuts used for securing the horizontal stab to the vert stab. Luckily I had some laying around. I also didn't receive enough clevis' to rig the flaps. I had enough to do the ailerons, rudder, and elevator. Maybe the flaps are considered optional and the purchaser needs to supply their own hardware. Regardless, I tapped into my stash of stuff and got them taken care of.

More tomorrow.
Old Feb 04, 2006, 08:21 AM
Dale Lindsay
Joined Sep 2001
653 Posts
Any more progress? I'm ready to maiden but waiting on the weather and a battery.
Old Feb 20, 2006, 12:18 PM
Dale Lindsay
Joined Sep 2001
653 Posts
Maiden flight a success

We had a beak in the wxr today so we went out desipte the 20 deg morning temp. The Baracuda I can honestly say flies literally out of your hand. I did not have to add any trim anywhere at all.

I used the recommended 10% flaps (or as close to as I could eyeball) for takeoff. My brother did the run for me and launch and when power came on he said it lefted out of his hand before he was running.

The set up that seems to work is:

90mm CG
Z3025-10 Hyperion outrunner
BP60A ESC from Lightflightrc
Polyquest 3100 3S lipoly
HS81 servos all the way around
14x9.5 prop
6V 1450ma Nihi RX pack

Power is great and the plane would easily climb at 1/2 throttle - 60deg at WOT.

Landing is a snap. I had the flaps set at max deflection (90 deg down) on landing. Upon initial deployment the plane pitches up. I could mix this out but didn't. After flaps are down the plane does fly level so I'm not sure I'm going to do anything with the elevator. It slows down to the extreme under full flaps. No bad stall characteristics either.

On the second flight I was able to walk beside the plane as it bled off airspeed on landing.

All in all it flies great and even in a slight updraft from a hill it was able to maintain altitude easily.
Old Feb 20, 2006, 04:01 PM
London Heathrow, Great Britain (UK)
Joined May 2004
1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON NARBETT
Hello Dale
Thanks for your reply, yes it is the same moedel
what an amazing site you are the first reply i have recieved on this system the world seems so small these days, i have been flying model gliders since 1986 and have only recently delved into electric ,the first electric model i bought was the elegent from the Reichard model company baisically a 2.7m floater with an AXI 28-20-12 brushless motor
and flies very well, but getting back to the barracuda thanks for taking the time to reply to my queston Dale and i will take your advice on the servo. Iam from West Wales in the UK about 6 miles from the coast where i go slope soaring over the sea or i have a large flat field to do a bit of thermalling or i can go to the hills east of where i live so really im spoilt for choise I was taught to fly back in 1986 by a lovley chap called Russ who was in the RAF and i still keep in toutch, there is no model gliding club around here only power which i have no interest, but i see by this forum that the hobby is alive and well and full of interesting people.Kind regards Simon.

Hi,

How do you find your elegant? can you give us a run down of the model, do you have any pictures you can post.

Simon
simonbryant is offline Find More Posts by simonbryant
Old May 09, 2007, 11:07 AM
Málaga (Spain)
Joined Mar 2004
24 Posts
Hi Boys,

I have bought a second hand Baracuda but it came without instruction manual: Where should i put the center of gravity in this bird???

I hope it will fly on saturday.....Thanks!
Koko is offline Find More Posts by Koko
Old May 09, 2007, 11:34 AM
pigs will fly!!
Joined Jan 2007
276 Posts
Hi there Koko

Where do you intend to fly your barracuda, I would like to come and watch, I live in Torremolinos.

Regards

Joe Rubido
jrturbo is offline Find More Posts by jrturbo
Old May 09, 2007, 05:37 PM
Málaga (Spain)
Joined Mar 2004
24 Posts
Hi Joe,

Now I´m studying Aeronautics in Madrid, so I´ll go to the Viso or La Muela.

I´ve my lipos ready, any idea of the center of gravity?? I have it at 9.5 cm from the leading edge, its that ok??

In July, when I finished my exams I´ll fly near Torremolinos, in Mijas or here

http://www.geocities.com/club_a_mala...las.htm#ACCESO

in Málaga city, near my home.

Thanks
Koko is offline Find More Posts by Koko