Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 02, 2006, 11:45 AM
Joined Nov 2005
41 Posts
Discussion
Aileron Rudder Mixing fo 1st time 3d flyer

My son is experienced Slow Stick pilot. He now about to take maiden flight with Typhoon 3D with ailerons and I am wondering if we should mix the ailerons with the rudder? Radio is JRXP6102.
chewbaca is offline Find More Posts by chewbaca
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2006, 01:02 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
It's probably better to not do the mixing until he gets some experience with the airplane's characteristics.
Using rudder as rudder is a learning experience all by itself.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Jan 02, 2006, 02:02 PM
Joined Sep 2004
646 Posts
I have a Typhoon and have the option of mixing on an unused switch on my Optic 6. You can do the same on your JR radio as well.

Having the option at any time was helpful in learning how to make coordinated turns. I would try a figure 8 with mixing and then without. I could see how the airplane tracked with proper rudder input with it mixed and then attempted to maintain the same pattern without it.

Nothing helps someone learn faster than instant feedback. As he progresses, you can cut the percentage of mixing back requiring manual rudder control to coordinate the turn.

Everyone learns differently - I hope this tip will be of help.
flyingflipper is offline Find More Posts by flyingflipper
Old Jan 02, 2006, 04:29 PM
Joined Sep 2004
646 Posts
I forgot to mention that I add +40% rudder mixing to start. It also would be wise to factor in some exponential value as well.
flyingflipper is offline Find More Posts by flyingflipper
Old Jan 03, 2006, 07:38 PM
Oldie but goodie
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Jun 2003
3,890 Posts
Most of my 4CH planes (including my 3D) use some sort of opposite rudder mixing to keep the nose from dropping when banking, as my fingers are not proficient enough to do it manually.
Popsflyer is offline Find More Posts by Popsflyer