HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2006, 10:24 AM
dmh
Brookfield, IL
Joined Mar 2005
9 Posts
Discussion
Possible NW site in Willow Springs

Go S on LaGrange Rd, SW on Archer then S on 95th. It’s in the Forest Preserve off 95th.

I haven’t flown it yet (no wind from NW) but I’ve hiked it and it looks nice.
Here’s the Google map for it: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=willow...0.038935&hl=en
The satellite photo shows the tree cover (or rather the lack) pretty well.

I didn’t find it through Google (you can’t see hills in a satellite photo) but through here: http://www.topozone.com

Go to View Maps. Fill in “Place Name Search”. I usually fill in a nearby location like a Forest Preserve.
What really caught my attention was the cliff in Cook County “Swallow Cliffs”. Looking at the cliffs, I also noticed Bull Frog Lake to the NW. You can find the lake at Latitude 41.7097°N, Longitude 87.9009°W (Note the Google Map URL)

The peak of the NW facing hill is 120 ft. The only problem I see with it is the 80ft hills up wind but perhaps since they are shallow on the face sloping down to the lake, the wind will smooth out some. Also, notice the lack of green shading around Bullfrog Lake. This shows the lack of trees. The Swallows Cliffs range is completely tree covered. BTW, I’ve driven around this area and it’s beautiful. We’d have no shortage of sites if we could only clear out some of these forests (I kid - kinda).

Amenities at Bull Frog Lake include pavilion and bathroom facilities at the top of the big hill. It’s a pretty nice set up, I hope there’s lift.

-Dave
dmh is offline Find More Posts by dmh
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2006, 03:49 PM
Twist n' Shout!
Joined Nov 2004
1,484 Posts
When i was up at my relatives house in willow springs over the summer, i heard so models flying over the forest preserve, i looked into that. And indeed, there is a club that flys out of willow springs,havent been to the field but i've seen the planes in the air. Well my main point is, might want to hook up and see what channels the guys are flying on, wouldnt want to take your plane or someone elses out. Just letting you guys know.

Heres there site : http://www.palosrc.com/information.htm
Matt Dziubinski is offline Find More Posts by Matt Dziubinski
Old Jan 02, 2006, 06:23 PM
dmh
Brookfield, IL
Joined Mar 2005
9 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. You're right. I wouldn't want to shoot some one down.

I've gone down to watch at one of their Fun Flys. Nice enough bunch of guys, of course I wasn't trying to fly with them at the time. That'd be the acid test. Does anyone know how agreeable they would be to a HLG at the frequency board? Also, "Reserving" a frequency for the whole time I'm sloping might also be an issue for them.

-Dave
Old Jan 02, 2006, 11:51 PM
Twist n' Shout!
Joined Nov 2004
1,484 Posts
not a problem, just thought i'd let you know ahead of time.

Maybe they have a group of HLG guys that to fly off those hills that you mentioned? I dunno, best would be to just go to a meeting or such and talk with the predident and all the guys.Or join the club?
Old Jan 03, 2006, 01:11 PM
dmh
Brookfield, IL
Joined Mar 2005
9 Posts
If the site shows some promise, I will definately go to a club meeting. Not only is there the frequency board but now I'm starting to think there may be issues with the Forest Preserve District.
I've caught some chatter at the LHS and know how touchy things can get with flying fields. I'd feel really bad if a mis-step hurts the Palosrc relationship with the FPDCC.

BTW, Thanks again for crossing over from ParkFlyers to Slope Flyers.
Once we actually get some sites to fly, perhaps we can get some of the camaraderie you guys have got going.
Part 11 thread alone has 5000 posts and 50000 views!?!
Slope Flyers forum has 1/100 of that - but then we don't have any sites of the "fly for an hour after work" variety.

-Dave
Old Jan 03, 2006, 09:11 PM
Windy City Flyer
Chi Town
Joined Jul 2004
499 Posts
Dave,
HMMM.. Now this sounds promising, but I have said that before and my hopes have faded away. Of course not having a regular hill to fly from can do that to a person..

I will be waiting to hear more as details unfold. If there is a viable flying site that we could use, but was to close to the Palos RC club or any other established flying club for that matter... I would have no issue or hesitation in going out and purchasing a Spectrum DX6 radio. Distance issue to an established RC flying field.. SOLVED!
Brian Kloft is offline Find More Posts by Brian Kloft
Old Jan 03, 2006, 09:52 PM
Naperville, IL
Joined Jan 2001
470 Posts
I feel bad about raining on anyone's parade, but I've looked at this site many times. I grew up ~ 5 miles from Bullfrog Lake. Spent many a Sunday walking the trails in this area; and in the winter, sledding down the hill onto the lake. I've even considered this area for aerial photography - particularly in the fall.

If you're standing on the hill south of the lake, it looks like you're at a high point. You can see water towers in Willowbrook. Problem is, Willowbrook is at a higher elevation. The lake is in a bowl. My suspicion is that there will be a certain amount of turbulence rolling off the hills to the north. Also, the slope is not that steep. It's alright for sledding, but I think it's comparable to the center section of Mount Baldy (and who slopes that?).

As was pointed out, this location is only about 2.5 miles from an established R/C flying field at 107th and La Grange Road. Obviously since the AMA recommends a 3 mile separation, the possibility for frequency conflicts can be considered real. BTW, I think there are at least a couple of clubs that fly at 107th & La Grange Road. I test fly planes there, but I'm not a member of any club.

This is an interesting area though. If you have some free time and feel like walking through the woods, pick a trail that heads west. Eventually you will find yourself in an area that was once a top secret military/research facility. Very historical! In the early 60's, the perimeter fence was still standing along with a quonset hut and a few foundations. Most of the area has now been reclaimed, but if you look closely you can see the fencepost foundations from the perimeter fence and also a couple of ominous marker boulders. Don't spend too much time here or you may "glow" in the dark. The facility was moved to the northwest and is now known as Argonne National Labs.

Lew
L Jenkins is offline Find More Posts by L Jenkins
Old Jan 03, 2006, 10:10 PM
Twist n' Shout!
Joined Nov 2004
1,484 Posts
thanks for the VERY interesting info Lew. Good luck guys finding some slope sites.I'll definately keep an eye out for some for you guys. Take care everyone.
Old Jan 08, 2006, 06:39 PM
Naperville, IL
Joined Jan 2001
470 Posts
I had a lot of things on my to-do list today, but the weather was so nice that I decided to go to the forest preserves and take a few pictures instead of getting my work done. I even caught a few glimpses of a very bright yellowish object in the sky. Anyway, enough of the meandering.

Here are a couple of pictures of the hill at Bullfrog Lake:
L Jenkins is offline Find More Posts by L Jenkins
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:23 AM
Windy City Flyer
Chi Town
Joined Jul 2004
499 Posts
Looks like a great place in the summer for a picnic! It MIGHT produce enough lift for an Alula or other very light plane, on a WINDY (12-15+ MPH) day. Very iffy....But might be worth a try.
Brian Kloft is offline Find More Posts by Brian Kloft