HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2006, 02:56 AM
USA, DE, Seaford
Joined Apr 2004
104 Posts
Discussion
getting a new GWS ME-109

Greetings!

I have a GWS ME-109 on the way ( thank you Santa ) and I can't wait to start on it. I will be painting it once it arrives.....my question is is there anything I should do to the surface of the plane to prep it? Also, any assembling tips? Also, I would like to put some better looking landing gear....any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!!

RC Sumo
RC Sumo is offline Find More Posts by RC Sumo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2006, 09:16 AM
Remember the 131st TFW MO ANG
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined May 2005
988 Posts
Sumo,

I got the GWS ME-109 slope kit as a Christmas present. Do I see a build thread forming? Actually I think there are some pretty good threads already. I intend for this to be my first glassing project. Here are some good threads that I use as GWS resources -

Spitfire Glassing Thread

GWS Mustang Build Thread

Both threads have good finishing and painting ideas as well. I plan on painting mine in a "winter white" camo scheme, similar to:

Alpha Models Winter White (scroll down - and check out the video)

Scott
NanoSio2 is offline Find More Posts by NanoSio2
Old Jan 02, 2006, 09:20 AM
Remember the 131st TFW MO ANG
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined May 2005
988 Posts
Sumo,

I got the GWS ME-109 slope kit as a Christmas present. Do I see a build thread forming? Actually I think there are some pretty good threads already. I intend for this to be my first glassing project. Here are some good threads that I use as GWS resources -

Spitfire Glassing Thread

GWS Mustang Build Thread

Both threads have good finishing and painting ideas as well. I plan on painting mine in a "winter white" camo scheme, similar to:

Alpha Models Winter White (scroll down - and check out the video)

Sorry - to answer your questions, I sand the surface to remove bumps and injector pin marks. For my Mustang, I used foam putty filler (model railroad section at hobby shop) to fill any holes or marks, but most use lightweight spackle. I then airbrushed my Mustang with Tamiya acrylics - have to use water based acrylics because they do not eat foam. I plan to not use any landing gear. I belly land my Mustang, which is slowly taking its toll, and I will be glassing the bottom of the ME-109 so hopefully it will hold up better.

Scott

Edit - sorry everyone I got carried away with the ENTER key halfway through the post
NanoSio2 is offline Find More Posts by NanoSio2
Old Jan 02, 2006, 09:57 AM
Short Drop-Sudden Stop!
Joined Apr 2004
497 Posts
109!

I too got a GWS 109 for Christmas. I've been filling - sanding & painting for a few days now and this is my progress.I dont like the deep panel lines on the 109 so i filled them with light weight spackle.I use cheap Wal-mart arcrylics from the small bottles in the craft department.The fuselage is done-the wing needs to be sanded & filled one more time to get it smooth.When the painting & decaling is all done i'll give it a lite coat of Minwax water-based polycrylic to seal everything.I'll post more pics when completed.
ltz400 is offline Find More Posts by ltz400
Old Jan 02, 2006, 10:07 AM
jollyroger
Central Lake, Mi.
Joined Nov 2002
1,025 Posts
I sanded mine down using 3M sanding pads. For filler, lightweight spackle such as Red Devil "Fast and Final" or Hardware store brand from Ace or True Value will also work. I thinned it down to a consistancy of latex paint and then painted it on the surfaces. It may take 1 or 2 coats here and there, but you want to make sure you end up with a nice smooth surface. It's not a difficult job, but takes some time to do it right.
I used Testors "Model Master" acrylics as well as Tamiya for colors. Models Masters will be available in the correct RLN shades for Luftwaffe camo and markings. If you don't h ave access to an airbrush you can use a brush as well.
I glassed mine before painting using .5 oz. cloth and Minwax Polycrylic instead of epoxy. I then filled the weave with a mixture of Polycrylic and babypowder which when dry, sands very smooth easily.
There are plenty of threads on this method and Jim Ryan has his own wbsite with detailed instructions on this method.
Oh yeah, I fly mine using a Himaxx 2025 with a 5.33:1 Himaxx box, 3S1500PQ and E-Flight 20A ESC.
Good luck with yours.
John Z is offline Find More Posts by John Z
Old Jan 02, 2006, 11:23 AM
USA, DE, Seaford
Joined Apr 2004
104 Posts
Thanks alot for the info so far fellas!! Itz400.....that lil 109 is coming aloong really nice! Looks great! Ok fellas.......now I see that everyone is sanding there planes down....what grit are you using? Also.......does glassing your plane add alot of weight? I can't afford brushless just yet so I have to fly stock equipment, which would make weight a big issue in my mind. Thanks alot for your help thus far!!!!!

RC Sumo
Old Jan 02, 2006, 02:15 PM
fnpaulie1
Joined Dec 2005
575 Posts
I have the same question about the glass and weight. I still fly my stock GWS 109 and love it's performance but want a bit more ooomph. I know I need to reinforce the wing for this because I can see mine already beginning to flap. I bought a slope version for this to try and will be going brushless. Some carbon fiber in the wings should help but want a real nice finish too, so maybe just light glassing and paint will be sturdy enough.
fnpaulie1 is offline Find More Posts by fnpaulie1
Old Jan 02, 2006, 03:01 PM
Suspended Account
Grove City PA basement/park
Joined Feb 2005
4,884 Posts
The only rough pitted area on the fuse of the 109 seems to be the nose area. Can use a little spackle.
Probably the most important thing to do to a GWS plane, is to epoxy a carbon fiber rod or spar along the inside of both fuse halves, from the nose, to at least behing the rear wing mount. The hatch area on the 109 and P-51 is a major weak zone, without this reinforcement.
I Monokoted the wing on mine, which has proven almost indestructible on foam wings for me. Looks as good or better than glassing, and is lighter.
scratchandbash is offline Find More Posts by scratchandbash
Old Jan 02, 2006, 03:08 PM
überprüfen Sie Ihre sechs
Central Utah
Joined Feb 2005
480 Posts
I was going to try filling the foam with White glue and a credit card or similar scraper. Then when its almost dry, will take a damp sponge, wipe it smooth, think this would hide the foam pock marks? I think the glue would prime the filler areas so they dont show thru the paint by absorbing it at different rate. You guys closer to sea level will be able to get away with more weight than us 4500 ft + peoples. my stock 350 and 8 cell barely fly the booger.
czechyour6 is online now Find More Posts by czechyour6
Old Jan 02, 2006, 05:32 PM
Short Drop-Sudden Stop!
Joined Apr 2004
497 Posts
Finished!

Well today i finished up the main wing on my 109.I'll wait a day or two till the paint is good & dry and give it a coat of Minwax water base polycrylic to seal it.Then i'll install the electronics and wait for spring to maiden her.I have a GWS Formosa still in the box for my next build!
ltz400 is offline Find More Posts by ltz400
Old Jan 03, 2006, 01:00 AM
USA, DE, Seaford
Joined Apr 2004
104 Posts
looks great! I think I might mimick that scheme a little...perhaps go a deeper blue and grey. Still not sure if I will Monokote or glass/fill/paint the kit.
Old Jan 05, 2006, 10:53 AM
Ottawa, Canada
Joined Apr 2005
119 Posts
White Winter Scheme

RC Sumo, Scott...

If your planning on painting a winter scheme there's some really good schemes at http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com, I painted mine based on this:
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.co...er/gal1645.htm
There's also tons of other schemes as well, just go to Gallery -> Propeller and look for the planes you want.

About glassing, it's easy and if you are carefull it won't take much more weight, mine took less than 1oz more, I used .56oz cloth and one coat of Minwax WBPU, it added a lot more of strength, specially to the wings.

Here's the final result:

Click to enlarge
jreneponce is offline Find More Posts by jreneponce
Old Jan 05, 2006, 10:59 AM
Ottawa, Canada
Joined Apr 2005
119 Posts
Jeez...

The gallery link doesn't work for me, here you'll find the pic:

http://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/show...cat=500&page=1
jreneponce is offline Find More Posts by jreneponce
Old Jan 05, 2006, 06:34 PM
USA, DE, Seaford
Joined Apr 2004
104 Posts
wow...that looks great jreneponce! My concern would be visibility in the air. You did such a good job with the paint I would wonder if you lose it in the air!
Old Jan 05, 2006, 08:14 PM
I feel the need for SPEED
SoCal
Joined Oct 2005
39 Posts
Well I guess the GWS 109 was a popular gift this Christmas, I got one as well. These are all great suggestions that have been posted so far. I particularly was interested in the glassing thread posted, I think I will probably do that to mine. If it adds strength with minimal weight gain, with the way I sometimes fly I need the strength.

One other option that you may want to consider, particularly if you want to give the plane an even more scale look is to add struts to the horizontal stab and add the antenna mast just behind the cockpit area. Before I add the antenna mast on mine I am going to make it just large enough to allow my receiver antenna to pass through it and then route it through the top of the rudder stab. Gets it out of the way, keeps it clear of interference and looks a little more scale.

Just my two cents worth,
"6"
onur"6" is offline Find More Posts by onur"6"