HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2006, 10:02 PM
I Like Traffic Lights
Planet Earth
Joined Jul 2005
23 Posts
Question
Business Opportunity in Selling RC Products?

I have recently been pondering on possibly starting a business selling RC Products (specifically centered on electric airplanes and all things associated with them) and I was wondering if any of you have started such businesses or would be able to give me any advice as where to start it (i.e. Online business, store, home business...etc.) and also where and how to obtain products in larger quantities, i only want this to be a small business, but i do want to be relatively successful and possibly expand it to a larger, even more profitable "enterprise" Any help and/or information regarding this matter is GREATLY appreciated.
Branjo is offline Find More Posts by Branjo
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2006, 06:59 PM
Lazy Builder
Joined Jul 2005
183 Posts
Wow, you sound smart Brandon! Talk to Doug at MRS, he is thinking about opening up franchises and if you bought one in Bountiful, I would shop there and alot of other people.
The_Red_Baron is offline Find More Posts by The_Red_Baron
Old May 07, 2006, 09:16 PM
phillyphly
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Sep 2005
1,223 Posts
Quite frankly I hope you love the hobby and don't mind mixing work with pleasure - might just end up ruining both. I don't think you'll get rich selling this stuff as your competition has greater buying power, bigger inventory and worst of all, your competition is more likely than not, is gonna be asia.

Unfortunately, American business is tending toward the big box stores and a race to the lowest price and lowest common denominator in terms of service and buying experience.

I genuinely hope you prove me wrong (and my perspective on American business) but even if you're only mildly successful, you can earn some cash to fund this rc addiction!

Again, if you do this, I wish you the best of luck...
e-guru is offline Find More Posts by e-guru
Old Mar 27, 2008, 07:41 PM
Dave?
Joined Aug 2003
1,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-guru
Quite frankly I hope you love the hobby and don't mind mixing work with pleasure - might just end up ruining both. I don't think you'll get rich selling this stuff as your competition has greater buying power, bigger inventory and worst of all, your competition is more likely than not, is gonna be asia.

Unfortunately, American business is tending toward the big box stores and a race to the lowest price and lowest common denominator in terms of service and buying experience.

I genuinely hope you prove me wrong (and my perspective on American business) but even if you're only mildly successful, you can earn some cash to fund this rc addiction!

Again, if you do this, I wish you the best of luck...
I get Chinese companies trying to get me to sell thier stuff all the time, most of it is of poor quality, over-rated LiPo cells and other items more likely to cause me problems rather than expand my business. I swear there must be an R/C enterprise for 1 out of 5 Chinese Citizens. Christmas was really bad for solicitaions from these guys.

But the truth is as long as you guys buy that stuff from over there the less we will make over here. try to buy a NON Chinese toy at Toys R US. When we all deliver Pizzas to each other we will have learned our lesson.

Yes I know the topic is old, but it has merit.
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyCNC ProBoard...
Old Mar 27, 2008, 08:26 PM
Joined Dec 2005
915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWorks
I get Chinese companies trying to get me to sell thier stuff all the time, most of it is of poor quality, over-rated LiPo cells and other items more likely to cause me problems rather than expand my business. I swear there must be an R/C enterprise for 1 out of 5 Chinese Citizens. Christmas was really bad for solicitaions from these guys.

But the truth is as long as you guys buy that stuff from over there the less we will make over here. try to buy a NON Chinese toy at Toys R US. When we all deliver Pizzas to each other we will have learned our lesson.

Yes I know the topic is old, but it has merit.

.......Well Said....!

Fonzarelli
The Fonz is offline Find More Posts by The Fonz
Old Mar 27, 2008, 08:53 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,886 Posts
Scale and Sport Modeler's One Stop Supplier

There are a lot of smallish online model suppliers but they mostly limit themselves to motors, battery packs, chargers, R/C equipment, props and ARF model planes. There are only a few suppliers, mostly large online ones, that carry most everything needed for scale model plane and boat kit and scratch building, i.e., quality balsa and ply sheet and sticks, other sheet woods, music wire, brass and aluminum tubing in various sizes, variety of covering materials, including Doculam and other light weight coverings in various colors, paints, glues, wheels, props, spinners, clear acetate, plus the motors, gearboxes, speed controls, BEC devices, tiny servos and R/C systems, and the many Dubro and other brand fastners and bagged accessories. If a supplier can truthfully claim that they are the scale and sport model builder's "one stop supplier" and can provide most of the above, with few delays, at competitive prices and with very good treatment of Customers, they might eventually make money.
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Mar 28, 2008, 12:46 PM
Dave?
Joined Aug 2003
1,626 Posts
My way of doing it is do one thing well, cut foam kits... no electronics... I will expand to composites with foam cores... but that's about the limit.

Never try to be everyones everything, it never works out well and it gives you a headache.
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyCNC ProBoard...
Old Mar 28, 2008, 01:38 PM
RCAPA #005
USA, VT, Springfield
Joined Jan 2004
3,858 Posts
To succeed you have to have something to offer that other places don't. You won't beat the chinese companies dumping cheap garbage on the market. You won't beat the buying power of the big online sources on quality stuff... so you can be the local hobby shop, except then people will rag on you for being more expensive than the online chinese junk. Considering what it costs to start a business, even out of the house, you have to sell a good bit of stuff and invest quite a bit up front just to make a go of it at all. not trying to be a wet blanket, but everyone and their brother tries to be a hobby shop out of their basement. If you do it legit, you have to start a legit company and pay taxes etc. The guys who aren't will have the lower overhead advantage. There's always some moron who will sell something for $1 over cost and de-value the product line.
MGBGTRacer is offline Find More Posts by MGBGTRacer
Old Mar 28, 2008, 02:36 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,771 Posts
How to make a SMALL fortune as a hobby shop owner..................start with a LARGE fortune.

Maybe you could concentrate on ONE ITEM and be the leaders and experts in that field..........how about Servo Arrms R-Us.....or Prop Nut World......or maybe Linkage Land......Electrical Connector City......Motor Mount Masters.....or Crazy Fred's House Of Monokote Iron Socks ?.

Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Mar 28, 2008, 03:49 PM
Formerly Whizwaz
Bloomington, IN
Joined Jan 2006
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-guru
Quite frankly I hope you love the hobby and don't mind mixing work with pleasure - might just end up ruining both.
Been there, done that. In 99% of the cases, you will end up killing your drive for the hobby. (Different hobby, same poor end result.)
Armored_Hearse is offline Find More Posts by Armored_Hearse