HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2006, 08:27 PM
Joined Nov 2005
41 Posts
Discussion
Rudder servo control on (left)throttle stick -vs- rudder control on (right)stick.

My son is experienced Slow Stick flyer with rudder control on right control stick. We now have purchased 3D plane with ailerons. Does anyone have any expert advice regarding keeping the rudder control on the right stick and moving the aileron control to the left stick?
chewbaca is offline Find More Posts by chewbaca
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2006, 08:29 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,370 Posts
You're better off connecting the ailerons to the right stick.
After all, he learned to turn in the air, using the right stick.
The ailerons will turn better than the rudder.
The rudder then goes on the left stick.
And he'll be able to fly other people's airplanes which are set up this way.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2006, 08:40 PM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,845 Posts
Typically, the primary yaw control is put on the right stick. On a rudder-elevator plane, the primary yaw control is the rudder. But on a rudder-elevator-aileron plane, primary yaw control becomes the ailerons and the rudder is used for different purposes.

Move the rudder to the left stick. The learning curve is quite minimal.

Pete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Old Jan 01, 2006, 08:41 PM
Joined Nov 2005
41 Posts
Thanx. We did move the rudder control on his Slow Stick to the throttle stick and he crashed right away because it was so foreign to him. Note: he is very experienced with turning the plane with the right stick; however, it was my suggestion that we move rudder control on Slow Stick so he gets familiar with rudder on throttle stick. Do you have any suggestions on how he can make the migration to left stick rudder? Perhaps i don't realized that the ailerons will now provide the majority of the turning?
Old Jan 01, 2006, 08:42 PM
Joined Nov 2005
41 Posts
Can you explain "Yaw" ? (new term for us)
Old Jan 01, 2006, 09:12 PM
PGR
Low AltiDude
Joined Jun 2004
7,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbaca
Can you explain "Yaw" ? (new term for us)
The way I meant yaw is synonymous with bank or lean.

I wouldn't move the rudder to the left stick on a plane without ailerons. Leave it on the right stick. You typically only put the rudder on the left stick on a plane with ailerons because they replace the rudder as your primary bank or yaw control.

Pete
Old Jan 01, 2006, 09:17 PM
Joined Nov 2005
41 Posts
Thank You! This forum has made all the difference with my son learning to fly rc planes.
Old Jan 01, 2006, 09:32 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,370 Posts
The three motions of a plane are:
Pitch... around an axis extending out the wing.. Vertical rotation around that axis is usually controlled by the elevator.
Roll... rotational motion around a line going from nose to tail, generally along the center of the fuselage. Usually controlled by the ailerons.
Yaw... rotational motion around a vertical axis extending up and down thru the airplane's center of mass. Usually controlled by the rudder.
The rudder when used as the turning control relies on the wing's dihedral to achieve the change in the roll axis which moves the nose around in a turn due to the imbalance of forces on the dihedralled wing.
With no dihedral, rudders tend to be ineffective.
Ailerons turn the plane by creating an unbalance of forces around the longitudinal axis.. more on one side, less on the other.. the airplane turns toward the side with the lesser force.
Due to the force setups in the other axes, the plane turns as well as rolls.
Ailerons tend to be the primary flight control for most models..
Rudders tend to ineffective with most planes at speed, so these are considered secondary flight controls.
drawings to follow:
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Sparky Paul; Jan 03, 2006 at 12:09 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2006, 12:31 AM
PGR
Low AltiDude
Joined Jun 2004
7,845 Posts
Ok, when I said yaw I meant roll but bank will work too. Of course a rudder-elevator plane typically has exaggerated dihedral which causes the plane to roll or bank when the rudder yaws it so ....

Aw, never mind!

Pete
Old Jan 02, 2006, 12:42 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGR
Ok, when I said yaw I meant roll but bank will work too.
Well - say what you mean and mean what you say..

Yaw and roll are completely different..

You can "yaw" the airplane and keep the wings level.. You cannot roll the airplane and keep the wings level..
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Jan 02, 2006, 01:29 AM
Toof-fairy
Perth, Australia
Joined Sep 2005
802 Posts
ive flown a 3 channel and then convert to 4 channel.

It was only natural to have the primary turning control on the right. The rudder becomes a secondary part of flying that you re-learn to use in an aileron plane for onlly balancing the turns (initially)

Owen
osmium_192 is offline Find More Posts by osmium_192
Old Jan 02, 2006, 01:42 AM
Supersonic hover
Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
1,043 Posts
Hey Tram I think you CAN roll a plane and keep the wings level - if you're landing on a rolling carrier deck! Depends on your point of reference.

Speaking of which - rudder on the right when it's all you've got, move it over to the left when you have ailerons. Keeps the thumbs happy and lets everybody else fly your model, which is what we all want... right?

-Matt
Esprit440 is offline Find More Posts by Esprit440
Old Jan 02, 2006, 06:48 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
You'll want the "primary turn control" on the right stick, no matter what you call it.

So on a R/E only model, rudder on the right. On a model with ailerons, however, put them on the right, rudder on the left. On an aileron ship, you won't use a rudder to turn as you did on the R/E one..

..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jan 02, 2006, 11:55 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprit440
Hey Tram I think you CAN roll a plane and keep the wings level - if you're landing on a rolling carrier deck! Depends on your point of reference.
If you land on a rolling carrier deck - your wings are level with the ship's deck but not the horizon.. The attitude indicator would still indicate a roll..
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Jan 02, 2006, 01:55 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGR
Typically, the primary yaw control is put on the right stick. On a rudder-elevator plane, the primary yaw control is the rudder. But on a rudder-elevator-aileron plane, primary yaw control becomes the ailerons and the rudder is used for different purposes.

Move the rudder to the left stick. The learning curve is quite minimal.

Pete
you said that exactly right, except for one phrase.

Substitute "turn control" for the three uses of the words "yaw control".

As other have mentioned, roll and yaw are not the same thing...
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel