HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2006, 07:59 PM
Fly lower!
West Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,391 Posts
Discussion
Mini JAR (Just Ain't Right) hovering machine

This has been my fall project, which is a Mini JAR, designed by Gary Jones. This thing is great to fly, but took some getting used to. After I got it trimmed, I have been attempting to learn to hover, which is a lot harder than it looks.

What immpressed me with this design is how quickly it can be built, once the foam has been cut. I used double sticky foam tape to mount the servos, attached the speed control and receiver with velcro, and away she goes! Here are the specs:

22.7 mm stator
Strong RC kit, with GoBrushless threaded long shaft and bearing tube
16 turns of 26 awg wire
CC Phoenix 10 ESC
GWS R4PII receiver
2-GWS Pico servos
1-SL 110 super micro servo
Dubro control horns with 1/64 ply for extra support
Painted with cheap hobby craft paint
GWS HD 7 x 3.5 prop
Thunder Power 2 cell lipo 840 MaH battery

weight without battery is 3.5 oz AUW is about 4.7 oz
aerolite is online now Find More Posts by aerolite
Last edited by mini ifo; Jan 01, 2006 at 08:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2006, 12:54 PM
Flying...Pushing Air Down
Clovis, NM, USA
Joined Nov 2000
3,548 Posts
WooHoo !

Dennis,

Way COOL ! I hope you have as much fun with it as I do with mine. Nice to know that when it gets destroyed, you can have another ready in a couple of hours. Ask me how I know.

Gary
sr71fan is offline Find More Posts by sr71fan
Old Jan 02, 2006, 01:45 PM
Fly lower!
West Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,391 Posts
Gary, do you have a flight video, or some photos for us to view? Thanks again for all your help. And I already have others ready to go when this one gives it up! Even a couple of additional CD rom motors wound and ready for flight. Mini Ifo
Old Jan 03, 2006, 07:32 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,109 Posts
ALL SR's stuff flies GREAT !!!!
HOVER=PRACTICE
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Jan 03, 2006, 07:49 AM
Fly lower!
West Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,391 Posts
gpw, your right, sr71fan has come up with some amazing planes, and has everyone wanting them at fly-ins. I know too well about practice=hover. I'm working on it, and even have the great planes G3 sim program to help with the hover practice. It will be interesting to see if it helps with the real thing. Mini Ifo
Old Jan 03, 2006, 07:56 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,109 Posts
***SECRET of great hovering!!! ...... If the plane is balanced right(cg far back enough ) it will EASILY hover by itself .... I have one particular Albatross VTOL , that will readily hover hands off for as long as the power /motor lasts ... subject to the wind , of course ...
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Jan 03, 2006, 08:23 AM
Fly lower!
West Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,391 Posts
Thanks for the tip gpw, learning outside in the wind has been tuff, and flying indoors in a gym has been tuff on the plane. I'll keep working on it so I can get good enough to bring it indoors and take it to the next level, or just build a bunch of planes for practice. I have my motor glued directly to the foam, and it keeps getting bumped loose on not so perfect contact with the ground.
Old Jan 03, 2006, 09:07 PM
Clovis, NM, USA
Joined Nov 2000
3,548 Posts
Oops!

I would edit "espessially" in picture number 8, but it is TOO much trouble.

Gary
Old Jan 04, 2006, 07:56 AM
Fly lower!
West Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,391 Posts
Gary, thanks for the great photos and support. Do you trim your JAR's to fly at the high angle of attack, as seen in many of your photos? As soon as I let the nose drop, and gain some airspeed, mine gets hard to fly, especially with the CG rearward. Any thoughts? Most of my flying has been outdoors, and I know the light wind doesn't help. I hope to get JAR #2 going soon, and will begin indoors.

Thanks again, Dennis
Old Jan 04, 2006, 12:36 PM
Clovis, NM, USA
Joined Nov 2000
3,548 Posts
Hard To Fly

Dennis,

The JARs weren't meant to fly fast. They are pitch sensitive at high speed. I never go above half throttle unless I'm hovering or climbing. If you want to fly fast outdoors, moving the battery forward will help, but not much. Mine are balanced at about 28% of the entire chord, including elevons.

Gary
Old Jan 04, 2006, 02:01 PM
Fly lower!
West Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,391 Posts
Gary, the photo with the CG is very helpful. As always, thanks for the info.

Do you trim yours to fly nose up at a high angle of attack? That may make my slow flight easier. Thanks again. Dennis
Old Jan 04, 2006, 06:33 PM
Clovis, NM, USA
Joined Nov 2000
3,548 Posts
Trim

No, I hold the nose up with a little back stick. But that's just personal preferrence.

Gary
Old Jan 04, 2006, 08:22 PM
Fly lower!
West Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,391 Posts
Gary, flew again tonight, and it went much better. Half throttle, except when climbing, or attempting to hover. Worked great! I trimmed with a little up to help smooth things out.

I shot the attached photos myself while flying. This is much more difficult to do than I had imagined. I won't attempt this stunt again!!!!

If you like, PM me with your address, and I'll send you a new cut down prop that I think you will like. The GWS 7 x 3.5 are ideal, but have been a little fragile for me, and I have broken several.

I took a GWS 8 x 4 HD, and cut it down to a 6 1/2 x 4, and it was awsome. I'll send you one to try, let me know what you think. This prop is very durable, and my 16 T x 26 awg motor turned at 9000 rpm, at 4.1 amps. Dennis
Last edited by mini ifo; Jan 04, 2006 at 09:40 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2006, 05:37 AM
Clovis, NM, USA
Joined Nov 2000
3,548 Posts
Props

Thanks Dennis, but save your props. You're going to need them. Or maybe I'll see you in Big Spring and I'll try one then. I've been building motors with more turns lately to swing bigger props. 18 and 20 turns will swing an 8/4.3, and 22 will swing a 9/4.7. I like the quiet slower-turning props and the added airflow over the control surfaces. See Ya soon.

Gary

P.S. Nice picture!