HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2006, 07:28 PM
Portugal
Joined May 2005
235 Posts
Discussion
Need plan for scale 70'' Piper J-3 Cub (going to build in 6mm Depron) !

Hi everybody !

I've been looking hard to find a detailed plan for a 70'' Piper J-3 Cub.

I intend to build it in a scale look, using 6mm Depron and fly it with an inexpensive 600 can motor + 3.1 Gearbox with 6-8 Nimh SubC cells.

Can any one email me a good set of plans or place a link to them ?
It doesn't matter if it isn't for a 70'' winspan. I will resize them later.

Anyway, I have a very good plan for a Piper PA18 Super Cub. Can I use it for a J-3 build ? What parts should I change to make it look like a J-3 ?

Thanks to everyone !
Ruben
ruben is offline Find More Posts by ruben
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2006, 11:39 PM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
Ruben, you might be able to get a set of plans from Sig. They sell a very scale 71" J-3 kit.

The main differences between the J-3 and PA-18 are from the windshield pillars forward. The PA-18 has the pressure cowl, of course, and the forward part of the fuselage is tapered less forward of the windshield pillars. The forward cabin braces on the PA-18 form a "V" shape, coming together at the top of the cowl. On the J-3 they form an inverted "V" coming together at the frame member at the top center of the windshield.

The skylight is much larger in the PA-18. All of the later Super Cubs had flaps, where the J-3 didn't, unless added later.

The rudder is more rounded at the back and is a little more pointed at the top on the PA-18. The elevator has balancers at each end on the PA-18, where the J-3 elevator is straight through the hinge line, clear out to the tips.

There are probably other subtle differences that show up externally that I have neglected to mention, but this should give you an idea of the major ones that affect the outward appearance of the planes.

Good Luck with your project, and keep us posted as to your progress. This sounds like an interesting project.

AmpAce
AmpAce is offline Find More Posts by AmpAce
Old Jan 02, 2006, 04:28 AM
Portugal
Joined May 2005
235 Posts
Hi AmpAce,

Thanks for your reply.

I will try to contact SIG to get a set of plans.
I may also find a 3 view drawing of a J-3 and PA-18 just to check the diferences between them and use my PA-18 plan for the build.

I will post the progress report in this forum.
Old Jan 02, 2006, 05:16 AM
Joinville -France
Joined Dec 2004
468 Posts
Hi ruben ,
You should try Fly international, a french magazin who got the plan for a 1.8m speed 600 w/gearbox powered CUB. AUW is 1.8kg.... conventional building (balsa and ply)

regards

Fred
fredok is offline Find More Posts by fredok
Old Jan 02, 2006, 10:53 AM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
Hi, Ruben, Just another thought---If you can get a set of plans for the J-3, in any scale, and have access to a copy machine that shrinks or enlarges, you can copy the key parts needed to get the scale right on it, and shrink or enlarge the amount needed to get the scale right. That way, you could use your PA-18 plans and just change the things needed to make a J-3 from them.

That's what I did when I built my Super Cub from the Dare J-3 kit. I had an old set of plans for a 46" Hobby Lobby/Aerocraft Super Cub. and enlarged the firewall, tailfeathers, cowl, etc, to get the shape right for the Super Cub.

Hope that makes sense!!??

AmpAce
Old Jan 02, 2006, 12:12 PM
Portugal
Joined May 2005
235 Posts
Fredok:
Thanks but I want a free plan ...

AmpAce:
Thanks for your advice.
I'm used to enlarge the plans at home. If they are in dwg (or CAD) format it is very easy to do it. Normaly I will print then into a pdf printer, and then glue all the A4 sheets. Lots of work but very cheap.
My 51'' depron Spitfire was built this way.

I've already done-it with the PA-18 plan (35 A4 sheets, I think...), to give me the 70'' wingspan.
Today I've searched a lot in the Internet and joined lots of documents, schemas, tree-view, etc from Piper J-3. But I didnīt find any good plan.
I will compare this documents with the PA-18 plan and decide if it will be a straight build or not.

I will post the report.
Old Jan 04, 2006, 06:00 PM
Portugal
Joined May 2005
235 Posts
Hi guys,

I just want to say that I've found a plan that was published in Modele Magazine.
It is a for a Piper J-3 1.80m Wingspan. No more details in the plan. No motor specification, no weigth target, no location for servos, etc etc...
I will use this plan, together with the very good Super Cub plan that I've mencioned.
The new thread will start in a few days. I have to finish this until midle February. After that I don't have time to build.
I want this build to be fast, light, strong, scale and... inexpensive !

The link for the new thread will be posted here.

Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 04, 2006, 06:45 PM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
Hi Ruben,

Happy to hear you found a plan!

Your objectives sound like a tall order, especially if you want to be finished by mid February! You must build much faster than I!

Will be watching for your thread, after all if you can acheive all of your goals, or even
a good portion of them, I will certainly learn something from reading it!

Good luck with the build!

AmpAce
Old Mar 13, 2006, 07:29 PM
Portugal
Joined May 2005
235 Posts
The build started !

Hi everybody !

I just want to say that I've started the Piper J-3 build at
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=491327

Thank you guys !