Old Jan 01, 2006, 10:08 AM
Seismic
Turkish Republic
Joined Feb 2004
52 Posts
Discussion
new 11.1V 1200mAh 10C Li-Po doesnt charge shows 8 Volt

Hi,
i searched a post like my problem but i couldnt find.

I purchased new lipo. First charge was wonderful, it's charge was 11.1 volt and my Slow Stick flied like a bird but my next flight (first fly wasnt to long 4-5 minutes) motor didnt start it was working but too slow, after that i want to learn my lipo battery's volt and I measured it, it was 8 volt so i tried to charge it, (i have a hobbico field charger) but charger didnt charge it, at 8 volt charger suddenly stoped (this means battery is full), i dont understand the problem, i couldnt charge it, i used a old motor to finish battery energy, now it's 4 volt and charger stop at 4 volt.
i have a same problem with my old lipo, after a crash it wasnt charged full but this lipo is new and i couldnt resolve problem.
seismic is offline Find More Posts by seismic
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2006, 10:21 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
You over discharged the LiPoly. At the end of a flight the voltage nust be atleast 10.5 volts and really should be 11.1-11.4 if you want the battery to last a long time.

A fully charged 3S LiuPoly is 12.6 volts and the normal charged range is 12.40 --12.48 .

You need to be using an ESC with a LVC which is LiPolys safe. It should be set to cut the motor off at no lower(less) than 3.0volts per cell (9 volts for a 3S/11.1V LiPoly).When the motor cut off the voltage will increase some. Do not continue to fly as the battery needs to be recharged at this point.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...28&postcount=2

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jan 01, 2006, 10:33 AM
Seismic
Turkish Republic
Joined Feb 2004
52 Posts
thanks for the answer everydayflyer

is there a way to recharge it or
now it's garbage

my speed control is Jeti 30 Amp Microprocessor Motor Controller and i plug it "lipo on" mode
seismic is offline Find More Posts by seismic
Last edited by seismic; Jan 01, 2006 at 10:41 AM.
Old Jan 01, 2006, 11:28 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Quote:
my speed control is Jeti 30 Amp Microprocessor Motor Controller and i plug it "lipo on" mode
Some ESCs in the LiPoly mode have auto cell count. This works OK if the battery is fully charged however it does not work correctly if the battery is not fully charged.

Example. You connect a fully charged 3S that has a voltage of between 12.45-1255(normal trange) and it sets the cutoff correctly for 3S (approximatelt (2.7-3.0 volts per cell) as different ESCs use different values.

If the battery is a 3S but was not fully charged as in has been flown without recharging or was never charged to begin with then the voltage could be in the range of the voltage for a 2S battery. The ESC would then set the cutoff to low.

There are means by which an over discharged LiPoly can be saved. These practices are best left to those with the proper equipment and experience. The LIPolys so revived will never be as good as they were.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jan 01, 2006, 12:34 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
Or if you left the battery plugged into the speed controller by accident after your flight that would drain down the voltage.

Jim
BrunswickOH is offline Find More Posts by BrunswickOH