HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2003, 01:32 AM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,002 Posts
I hate that JW warren is refering to!

Damn thing clocked me in the back of the head
Good thing it was only the last 2" of the leading edge or i'd be in gaga land now!

Cheers
Paul
P.s THANKS BEN
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2003, 03:35 AM
speedfreek
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
3,159 Posts
Hey Paul,
You should have seen the Bat the other Sunday. It was absolutely ballastic!! The old Bat that I rebuilt (1140g now) actually flew faster than the new straight Bat. I think the extra weight helped.
Now that we are reaching such high speeds, we will have to start enforcing saftey rules to prevent another JW incident. The spectator area will have to be further away leaving only the pilot, camera man and speed gun man near the flight path.

Regards,

Wazza
alkoo is offline Find More Posts by alkoo
Old Jul 09, 2003, 09:56 AM
CaliforniaSailplanes.com
So California
Joined Dec 2002
1,789 Posts
Bat and others...

Wazza,

The Bat looks interesting, I might have to try one of those.

I've been on an extended search for the best performing foamie I could find. Started with a Moth, then a Bluto. I've seen almost everything out there including a Zipper. JW and M60 prototype.

I first heard about the Electron due to it's popularity up in the Bay Area of CA. People were raving about the speed, so I bought one to try:

It is without a doubt the fastest foam based aircraft I've flown.

I am the US importer of Canterbury, which is a GREAT line of planes, but they don't make anything like this. After trying it, I got hooked and am now selling them.

The price is very reasonable ($69.95 US), the weight unballasted is around 27 OZ, mine is 46 due to the heavy ballast I added. It screams, and carries energy extremely well.

More info and a video on my site.

The programmable mixing you indicated is also necessary here, I am using a Futaba 9c.

It would be cool to get all these planes together and fly them at a variety of locations .

Let me know about your new site!

Steve

californiasailplanes.com
stegre is offline Find More Posts by stegre
Old Jul 10, 2003, 06:02 AM
speedfreek
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
3,159 Posts
Hi Steve,
Ive seen the Electron 54 before and always wondered how it would compare to a M60, JW or Moth due to its similarities in design. I have been considering getting a M60 after reading up on its performance which is impressive. The only thing Im worried about is the strength of the fuse. Ive already seen and heard about snapped fuses which is something I dont have to worry about with the Bat (like the Bluto). And lets face it, we all get caught out trying that little bit too much and hit the deck at mach 2 while DSing. The Bat in the photo earlier is a testament to how well it handles punishment.
I guess the one thing that really makes the Bat stand out from the crowd is its low wind capability. It flies in 6 knots when many other foamies cant stay in the air, and yet its comfortable in 30 knots!! No other plane Ive seen or heard about excells in all conditions. Mind you, this is only after many changes to the original construction technique. My Bats weigh almost twice the recommended weight (see my previous comments & also on Windrider forum). Im now also considering including a ballast tube in my next Bat but am restricted to 5" due to the servo placement with standard gear. It is possible to use mini servos in the wings similar to the Bluto to allow for it, but that adds the cost of 2 new mini servos to it which would blow the budget at the moment. Ill see how I go.
You should get a Bat and consider using my construction technique which is considerable stronger (and heavier) than standard. I guess you could say Ive tweaked what appears to be an under-developed yet very good design. Im very interested in an opinion from someone with your experience, especially as you own and fly many of the planes Ive considered buying for the same purpose.
All the best.

Wazza

PS Ill keep you informed about speedfreeks.com
Old Jul 13, 2003, 02:09 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,581 Posts
New uploaded image

Dear All

Please see the newly upload image on Windrider website:
http://www.windrider.com.hk/image/image.cfm#1
http://www.windrider.com.hk/forum/forum.cfm?id=174

Very cool!

Thank,
Ming Lou
Ming is offline Find More Posts by Ming
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 14, 2003, 07:21 AM
speedfreek
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
3,159 Posts
New "Extreme Bat"

Hi all,
A lot has happened since my last post. My 2 Bats are both flying very well both on the front and DS. In fact, my 1 kilo Bat flew in 4-5 knots last week to everyones amazement.
But Im not here to tell you about that. Ive just finished and test flown my "Extreme Bat". This machine was made with 1 thing in mind......speed!! But to achieve this without handling would be pointless, so some thought was required.
After the initial assembly of the wings (including my twin spar system) everything else is modified. The battery is split into 2 x 2 cells and placed on either side of the moulded battery bay and a 12" ballast tube that can carry over 300 grams of removable ballast is placed along the COG, which is 4 3/8" from the nose (NOT 4"!!). In fact, this Bat's COG is 4 1/2"!!
This Bat also has HS-81 MG micro servos mounted BEHIND the spar at the MIDDLE of the elevon . This is very important, as putting the control horn in the middle of the elevon reduces the twist of the elevon by half, thus giving more control at DS speeds when ballasted up, which was a problem with the previous positioning. Be sure to make your linkages face straight ahead instead of at an angle like standard. This reduces drag.
I used the battery bay to accomodate a lead block I moulded to fit and gooped in. This particular Bat needed a block weighing 520g!!!!! Using the battery bay for balancing ballast is a much stronger option.
Also, I used some plastic tubing instead of the carbon rods for the fins. They bend in a bad landing and do not tear the rear of the covering or wing like the rods do, which is really annoying.

Before I covered this Bat, I sanded the "dimples" off the surface and used spak-fill to smooth over any gaps or marks. I then coated it in 3 thin layers of Goop to add strength against tearing. I strongly recommend this as the finish is much better than with the bumps.

Lastly, I used crossed filament tape on this Bat and it is much stronger. However, having twice the fiber, it has twice the weight, so you cant wack too much on.

And the result........a 1285g-1600g Bat thats does not bend at all (havent tried it with 1600 yet though, he he), handles like a dream and flys in 12 knots to gailforce winds front side or DSing!! And best of all its EXTREMELY FAST!!!! There's nothing like a 100m high loop in 15 knots!!

Here are some photos.

Regards,

Wazza
Old Aug 14, 2003, 07:38 AM
speedfreek
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
3,159 Posts
New "Extreme Bat"

Hi all,
A lot has happened since my last post. My 2 Bats are both flying very well both on the front and DS. In fact, my 1 kilo Bat flew in 4-5 knots last week to everyones amazement.
But Im not here to tell you about that. Ive just finished and test flown my "Extreme Bat". This machine was made with 1 thing in mind......speed!! But to achieve this without handling would be pointless, so some thought was required.
After the initial assembly of the wings (including my twin spar system) everything else is modified. The battery is split into 2 x 2 cells and placed on either side of the moulded battery bay and a 12" ballast tube that can carry over 300 grams of removable ballast is placed along the COG, which is 4 3/8" from the nose (NOT 4"!!). In fact, this Bat's COG is 4 1/2"!!
This Bat also has HS-81 MG micro servos mounted BEHIND the spar at the MIDDLE of the elevon . This is very important, as putting the control horn in the middle of the elevon reduces the twist of the elevon by half, thus giving more control at DS speeds when ballasted up, which was a problem with the previous positioning. Be sure to make your linkages face straight ahead instead of at an angle like standard. This reduces drag.
I used the battery bay to accomodate a lead block I moulded to fit and gooped in. This particular Bat needed a block weighing 520g!!!!! Using the battery bay for balancing ballast is a much stronger option.
Also, I used some plastic tubing instead of the carbon rods for the fins. They bend in a bad landing and do not tear the rear of the covering or wing like the rods do, which is really annoying.

Before I covered this Bat, I sanded the "dimples" off the surface and used spak-fill to smooth over any gaps or marks. I then coated it in 3 thin layers of Goop to add strength against tearing. I strongly recommend this as the finish is much better than with the bumps.

Lastly, I used crossed filament tape on this Bat and it is much stronger. However, having twice the fiber, it has twice the weight, so you cant wack too much on.

And the result........a 1285g-1600g Bat thats does not bend at all (havent tried it with 1600 yet though, he he), handles like a dream and flys in 12 knots to gailforce winds front side or DSing!! And best of all its EXTREMELY FAST!!!! There's nothing like a 100m high loop in 15 knots!!

Photos soon.

Regards,

Wazza
Old Aug 14, 2003, 10:20 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,581 Posts
???

Alkoo

I can't see the picture you post, can you repost it?

Ming Lou
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 14, 2003, 04:26 PM
speedfreek
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
3,159 Posts
Photo

Hi Ming, Had a little trouble trying to get the photo on. Ill try again. If you cant see it this time its also on your forum at Windrider.

Regards,

Wazza
Old Aug 14, 2003, 04:52 PM
Just an A&P mechanic
Joined Sep 2002
372 Posts
Batski

This is a fun plane cept for the feet. im gonna change them to something i can see better inverted. this is a very easy to fly ship.
i set the controls to respond with a fraction of input from the sticks. zip starts for speed runs on flat ground are a hoot. so here is my version too. ! thanks ming. i want a queen bee next!
Spaceship13 is offline Find More Posts by Spaceship13
Old Aug 14, 2003, 08:57 PM
speedfreek
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
3,159 Posts
Nice job Fred. But can you please give us some more details. Like its weight, COG and what spar system you used. Mention any modifications you may have made and also any complaints or problems.

The more ideas the better.

Regards,

Wazza
Old Aug 15, 2003, 09:34 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,581 Posts
Batski

The Bat you post look like up side down, please see the picture as attach:

Ming Lou
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 15, 2003, 09:39 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,581 Posts
This Bat by Eric Wong in Hong Kong.
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 15, 2003, 09:49 AM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,002 Posts
Ming, i'll hopefully be receiving my bat in the next couple of days but i must say there's NO WAY i'm putting those chicken feet on the back I'll make my own shape fins

I do like erics colour scheme

Cheers
Paul

P.S You have posted those dozen or so bats to Newcastle AUS haven't you? The wind is starting to come back
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch
Old Aug 15, 2003, 09:54 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,581 Posts
Gouch

Hopefully, your bat is the fastest one on the slope, about the fins......up to you, any idea? or you may try like this:

Ming Lou
Site Sponsor