Closed Thread
Old Mar 12, 2006, 06:56 PM
Whaddya Mean, I Procrastinate?
United States, MA, Webster
Joined Feb 2003
2,505 Posts
Fred:

Where is your CG ?

If it's dead on at 78mm from the wing leading edge at the root ( per the manual ), you really should try moving it forward to 73 / 74mm.

There have been many discussions on this subject, and it is pretty much agreed that the CG figures in the manual are not correct.

My two cents,

Russ
MiniBoy is offline Find More Posts by MiniBoy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MiniBoy; Mar 12, 2006 at 07:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2006, 07:23 PM
Fresno, Calif
Joined Aug 2005
888 Posts
Mark
I have to say it never really got going. It would climb so steeply that I just shut it off. I only tried it 4 times. It was obvious I needed to do something different. I can't figure how to post a picture my files are to big.

Russ I missed that on the CG. It is set at 78MM. I have changed the incidence of the HZ stablizer and I think the wing problem has been fixed. I will move the CG 4 mm forward. Which is quite a bit. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I'll try again tomorrow.
Thanks for the help
Fred
fredeich is offline Find More Posts by fredeich
Old Mar 12, 2006, 07:41 PM
Joined Feb 2003
2,505 Posts
Fred:

I am quite sure you were trying to fly a "tail heavy" aircraft, and over the couple of years that this EZ* forum has been in existence, this subject has surfaced several times.

There is also a saying, and I'm not sure I have it totally correct, but it's something like

"a nose heavy airplane will fly poorly, but a tail-heavy airplane will crash" ... I hope to be corrected by others if I'm wrong

Also, don't forget the "test toss" into some tall grass .. power off, you should get a 50 ft. descending glide to the ground.

Russ
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MiniBoy; Mar 12, 2006 at 07:49 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 08:09 PM
Australia, NSW, Mona Vale
Joined May 2002
5,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredeich
Mark
I have to say it never really got going. It would climb so steeply that I just shut it off. I only tried it 4 times. It was obvious I needed to do something different. Fred

FRED.

Did you really mean what you said there ? If you went near vertical under full power and then abruptly cut power, you would expect the plane to instantly stall. Did you have full down stick on the elevator before you cut the power??

Cheers. Patrick.
oldpilot is online now Find More Posts by oldpilot
Old Mar 12, 2006, 08:15 PM
Joined Jul 2005
72 Posts
Sorry to interrupt....but here is the second video from another member of the unofficial EasyStar Portugal Team:
http://www.ciberjohn.com/careka.wmv

And for the ones who might not have seem and might wanna:
http://www.ciberjohn.com/easystar.wmv

Both Movies made and edited today

HUGS
ciberjohn is offline Find More Posts by ciberjohn
Old Mar 12, 2006, 08:45 PM
Joined May 2002
5,450 Posts
SUPER VIDS---Both.

Congratulations.

Cheers. Paddy.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 09:22 PM
Joined Feb 2003
2,505 Posts
CiberJohn;

Great work on those vids !! The second one: ...

http://www.ciberjohn.com/easystar.wmv

... has terriffic titling and editing !! Also, the forward facing camera seems so much "niftier" to me.

Russ
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2006, 12:46 AM
3 Blades to the Wind
Atascadero, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
4,085 Posts
Some EZ*'s are dead on CG at 78mm, some like it further forward. I think someone even said theirs ran best at 79-80mm. I think it has a lot to do with the variances in the empennage, boom and wing saddles that come with formed foam as well as with building style but this is just a guess. I've found the plane to be very forgiving slightly forward of 78mm, gone as low as 73mm but it was a struggle to keep the plane flying it was so nose heavy, it kept wanting to dip so much.

If it zooms power off, just hand tossing, and your elevator is 'flat' with the bottom of the horizontal stabilizer, then sounds like you have an angle of incidence problem on the plane, but this is just my guess. I'd try to move the CG to 76mm and trim out the zoom tendency with hand tosses and the trim settings on the elevator. If the elevator is 'way' off on trim (say more than 5 clicks or so) use strapping tape lengthwise on the bottom of the boom to 'pull' down the tail a bit. Leave the tape on and start with the trims at zero again, then do hand tosses to trim it out again. Rinse, wash and repeat until you are under 5 clicks of trim. The plane should then fly right and not zoom under medium power (say 40-60%) under higher power, you will need to be on the elevator to keep it from zooming as this is a high lift plane. Speed will always make it climb like a banshee. Brushless EZ*'s are well known to zoom under power.

All of this is just my opinon, the more advanced pilots can correct me as I could be wrong!
Shaun Hendricks is offline Find More Posts by Shaun Hendricks
Old Mar 13, 2006, 12:57 AM
Joined May 2002
5,450 Posts
RIGHT ON THE BUTTON SHAUN.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 03:23 AM
Part-Time Super Hero
Aberystwyth, UK
Joined Sep 2004
3,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredeich
Mark
I have to say it never really got going. It would climb so steeply that I just shut it off. I only tried it 4 times. It was obvious I needed to do something different. I can't figure how to post a picture my files are to big.

Russ I missed that on the CG. It is set at 78MM. I have changed the incidence of the HZ stablizer and I think the wing problem has been fixed. I will move the CG 4 mm forward. Which is quite a bit. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I'll try again tomorrow.
Thanks for the help
Fred

Hi Fred,

Yes it does sound like a CG issue. I run my EZ with the CG 8mm forward from the recommended position and have no bad habits. Also make sure you have quite a lot of throw on your rudder, it helps.

Mark.
MarkJayne is offline Find More Posts by MarkJayne
Old Mar 13, 2006, 03:41 AM
Part-Time Super Hero
Aberystwyth, UK
Joined Sep 2004
3,289 Posts
You know I've just been reading through my ESC hand book, and if I set it to Air 3D I will be able to use reversed thrust. Can't imagine the stress that might inflict on an EZ. Mmmm

I'll do anything for a biscuit.

Mark.
MarkJayne is offline Find More Posts by MarkJayne
Old Mar 13, 2006, 10:57 AM
"SARGE"
Fairfax Station, (Northern) Virginia
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Hendricks
Some EZ*'s are dead on CG at 78mm, some like it further forward. I think someone even said theirs ran best at 79-80mm. I think it has a lot to do with the variances in the empennage, boom and wing saddles that come with formed foam as well as with building style but this is just a guess. I've found the plane to be very forgiving slightly forward of 78mm, gone as low as 73mm but it was a struggle to keep the plane flying it was so nose heavy, it kept wanting to dip so much.

If it zooms power off, just hand tossing, and your elevator is 'flat' with the bottom of the horizontal stabilizer, then sounds like you have an angle of incidence problem on the plane, but this is just my guess. I'd try to move the CG to 76mm and trim out the zoom tendency with hand tosses and the trim settings on the elevator. If the elevator is 'way' off on trim (say more than 5 clicks or so) use strapping tape lengthwise on the bottom of the boom to 'pull' down the tail a bit. Leave the tape on and start with the trims at zero again, then do hand tosses to trim it out again. Rinse, wash and repeat until you are under 5 clicks of trim. The plane should then fly right and not zoom under medium power (say 40-60%) under higher power, you will need to be on the elevator to keep it from zooming as this is a high lift plane. Speed will always make it climb like a banshee. Brushless EZ*'s are well known to zoom under power.

All of this is just my opinon, the more advanced pilots can correct me as I could be wrong!
I agree. Right on button here. My COG line is at 78. I'll push it to 79-80 for hunting thermals because any little puff of lift makes the plane jump and helps detect lift. However, care has to be taken because too far back the EZ gets very flaky on the controls.

If pushed my brushless EZ will zoom all the way over backwards. I could program a little down elevator into the throttle stick....... Or just tap the down elevator as it's going up.

The 4.7x4.7, 5x5, 5.2x5.2 props will stall on the EZ, especially when launching. These props won't bite the air until the speed is up. The 6x4, 5.5x4.3, 6x3, 5x4 are good EZ props. I'm not into the Aerobird type push on props because there are inexpensive better choices out there.

Sarge
sargentw is offline Find More Posts by sargentw
Old Mar 13, 2006, 04:18 PM
Vaulnaveys-le-bas, France
Joined Apr 2005
745 Posts
Maximum payload on EasyStar ?

What is the maximum payload that the stock EZ* will handle ? Running with stock motor + stock prop, with 2S small Lipos ?

According to MotoCalc, under those conditions, the plane can weight up to about 930 g total, which means 320 g of payload. Has anyone experienced that ? At that weight, the rate of sink will be -0.9 m/s, which is not bad, compared to the one at regular weight (-0.7 m/s) !

To take care of the CG problem, it must be possible to attach the Lipos far back on the plane, to balance the load ?

Of course, the goal is to do AP

Marc
marckossa is offline Find More Posts by marckossa
Old Mar 13, 2006, 05:04 PM
Master of 1 point landing
Naperville, IL
Joined Jul 2005
2,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJayne
You know I've just been reading through my ESC hand book, and if I set it to Air 3D I will be able to use reversed thrust. Can't imagine the stress that might inflict on an EZ. Mmmm

I'll do anything for a biscuit.

Mark.
what esc? Spinning a prop the wrong way will not reverse its thrust unless you are using a vario prop.
ImaBiggles is offline Find More Posts by ImaBiggles
Old Mar 13, 2006, 05:15 PM
Master of 1 point landing
Naperville, IL
Joined Jul 2005
2,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTA1
I THINK This is pretty high. will post more (in elect air vid section) when weather is better.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...00631393226997
Hey you body steer when u land too!!!
ImaBiggles is offline Find More Posts by ImaBiggles
Closed Thread