HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 04, 2006, 08:48 AM
United States, MA, Webster
Joined Feb 2003
2,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig
The Easy Star is not really a good looking model and the original thread started rather slowly - if I remember correctly - but the design and the flight characteristics are ideal for beginners.

The new MiniMag however is the ideal model after the Easy Star - and looks good as well.

Jürgen
Jurgen:

Thanks for the feedback. When will the MiniMag be available in the U.S. ? Is there a link to pix of it ??

Thanks,

Russ
MiniBoy is offline Find More Posts by MiniBoy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2006, 09:41 AM
Joined Sep 2004
2,744 Posts
Mini Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniBoy
Jurgen:
Thanks for the feedback. When will the MiniMag be available in the U.S. ? Is there a link to pix of it ??
Thanks,
Russ
There is a very good site here; lots of good info and several photos.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=455206

Good Luck,
LarryR
LareeRudee is offline Find More Posts by LareeRudee
Old Jan 04, 2006, 12:44 PM
Joined Feb 2003
2,411 Posts
Larry:

Thanks for the MinMag link .. Good One !! I especially like the floats .. I live on a lake .. could put skis on for the winter too ?!?

Russ
Old Jan 04, 2006, 06:45 PM
all thumbs
Upstate NY, USA
Joined Dec 2005
201 Posts
jwilliam: "I have been looking at this radio [Spektrum DS6] have you or anyone else for that matter used it with FMS?"

I use one from Mile High Wings that originally had a Futaba jack for those antiquated 72mHz FM radios. It was easy to convert to the JR (micro headphone) plug, and they will send you one with any connector you select.

I first used a Saitek "Rumble Force" game controller from Wally World, but it looked difficult to remove the centering spring on the throttle stick. Using the actual transmitter has likely saved my EZ some dings, because my thumbs were trained before I flew it. I did considerable strengthening to my EZ when I built it, burying kevlar thread in the fuselage, carbon in the wing, duct taping nose/leading edges, but now I think that the FMS sessions were the best defense against damage.

I also found the EZ Star virtual model very similar in flight characterisics to the real thing. I did bump up the rudder throws slightly to match the enlarged rudder on my EZ.

For newbies like me, I think the USB interface is a wise investment.
Padesatka is offline Find More Posts by Padesatka
Old Jan 04, 2006, 10:02 PM
I make ARFs out of RTFs..
Wexford, PA USA
Joined Jun 2004
641 Posts
I will be building an EZ for my son, and I have a few questions. I tried to go through the EZ threads, but the volume is just unbelievable ! I hope you won't mind answering my questions .

What are the alternatives to using CA? I am allergic to standard CA. Foam safe CA seems to be OK. But the instructions specifically state not to use the foam safe version. The alternatives that I would like to consider are:
1) Ultimate (Gorilla) glue
2) GWS glue that comes with their kits
3) 3M poster tape
4) 3M 77 spray glue
I like the idea of using the poster tape. I can have my son participate even more in the building process (he is 5 yo). I read that this is how Multiplex puts together the RTF version. Are there any posts showing how it is done?

I am planning to use the stock motor and the propeller, a Hobby Zone Aerobird 6 cell NiMH (900 mAh) battery and a GWS ICS 480 ESC. I will use the radio and servos that came with my Parkzone Typhoon 3D. The parkzone servos have almost identical dimensions as HS 81s. Does this set-up make sense?

I will appreciate your help.

ATAC
A.T.A.C. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.A.C.
Old Jan 04, 2006, 11:46 PM
SLC, Utah
Joined Dec 2005
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padesatka
jwilliam: "I have been looking at this radio [Spektrum DS6] have you or anyone else for that matter used it with FMS?"

I use one from Mile High Wings that originally had a Futaba jack for those antiquated 72mHz FM radios. It was easy to convert to the JR (micro headphone) plug, and they will send you one with any connector you select.

I first used a Saitek "Rumble Force" game controller from Wally World, but it looked difficult to remove the centering spring on the throttle stick. Using the actual transmitter has likely saved my EZ some dings, because my thumbs were trained before I flew it. I did considerable strengthening to my EZ when I built it, burying kevlar thread in the fuselage, carbon in the wing, duct taping nose/leading edges, but now I think that the FMS sessions were the best defense against damage. Thanks again for the information! Jerry

I also found the EZ Star virtual model very similar in flight characterisics to the real thing. I did bump up the rudder throws slightly to match the enlarged rudder on my EZ.

For newbies like me, I think the USB interface is a wise investment.
Well I have a Saitek P990 that I purchased to use with FMS, and I also have the model, but thanks for the link . I guess that I don't know much about how radios work, since I didn't realize that the throttle stick is different when it comes to centering. But again that is why I want to practice with the real thing. My LHS has the USB with the JR connector. I have heard with other radios that they take out the crystal or module so that they aren't really transmitting when they use the radio with FMS and it also saves on batteries.
When you use your Spektrum radio is it transmitting? Or is there a way to turn it off? I would guess that it wouldn't hurt to transmit , but would save batteries if it didn't.
Thanks for the information!
Jerry
jwilliam is offline Find More Posts by jwilliam
Old Jan 04, 2006, 11:52 PM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,759 Posts
Quote:
Larry:

Thanks for the MinMag link .. Good One !! I especially like the floats .. I live on a lake .. could put skis on for the winter too ?!?

Russ
Why not just use the floats in winter too?

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Jan 05, 2006, 08:30 AM
Joined Feb 2003
2,411 Posts
Hi Jurgen:

There are times when the snow is fresh and soft that the floats wild be fine. However, in southern New England, we often get mixtures of snow, sleet and rain, then the snow freezes into "cement". Where the foot prints, snowmobile tracks, ice fishing holes. etc. freeze, foam floats would take quite a beating, Im afraid.

Russ
Last edited by MiniBoy; Jan 05, 2006 at 08:41 AM.
Old Jan 05, 2006, 02:51 PM
3 Blades to the Wind
Atascadero, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
4,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T.A.C.
I will be building an EZ for my son, and I have a few questions. I tried to go through the EZ threads, but the volume is just unbelievable ! I hope you won't mind answering my questions .

What are the alternatives to using CA? I am allergic to standard CA. Foam safe CA seems to be OK. But the instructions specifically state not to use the foam safe version. The alternatives that I would like to consider are:
1) Ultimate (Gorilla) glue
2) GWS glue that comes with their kits
3) 3M poster tape
4) 3M 77 spray glue
I like the idea of using the poster tape. I can have my son participate even more in the building process (he is 5 yo). I read that this is how Multiplex puts together the RTF version. Are there any posts showing how it is done?

I am planning to use the stock motor and the propeller, a Hobby Zone Aerobird 6 cell NiMH (900 mAh) battery and a GWS ICS 480 ESC. I will use the radio and servos that came with my Parkzone Typhoon 3D. The parkzone servos have almost identical dimensions as HS 81s. Does this set-up make sense?

I will appreciate your help.

ATAC
The RTF version actually uses the poster tape and many people here recommend that. I have never worked with it so I can't comment on it. This is mostly used for the fuse L to R bonding. Some say it's not so hot for the tailfeathers.

I also hear expoxy works well on elapor. I used some for reinforcement of my landing gear axle bushing and it worked fine, but it's just a surface joint that spreads the landing load over more of the elapor and doesn't really hold any tension so I don't know how well it would do for other joints on the plane.

Polyurethane glues (Gorilla) should work but I have no idea on its adhesion abilities with elapor. I'd dampen the surfaces to be glued first so that that glue works its way deep into the foam as it sets and use tape to control the 'expansion' of the glue as well as to hold things firmly. This would be where I'd start and I'd start with a non-critical surface first like glueing the popsicle stick to the canopy or something like that for the stick and velcro mod (BTW, this is a highly recommended mod. The canopy clips are a joke after a few crashes.)

3M77 will work only for light bonds on this foam (decals, stickers, covering, etc.). I have not had good results with this glue on any foam but EPP. The newer versions (acetone based) melt most foams so you need to spray it from a significant distance and 'fog' the surface to be glued. This lets the nastier VOC's evaporate before they hit the foam in quantity. I don't know if elapor melts to this glue but I do know that too much CA Accelerator will melt elapor a bit so I wouldn't trust it with the 3M77 in 'puddle' quantities. Test first in an inconspicuous spot.

Hope this helps... good luck with the first flights! You'll love this plane!

(P.S. I disagree with Jurgen's opinion on the EZ*'s looks. I think it's a great looking plane. Then again, I like dolphins [their shape] and the plane reminds me of a dolphin. It would probably be a very successful full size plane if anyone every made it!)
Shaun Hendricks is offline Find More Posts by Shaun Hendricks
Old Jan 05, 2006, 03:21 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,759 Posts
Quote:
Hi Jurgen:

... foam floats would take quite a beating, Im afraid.

Russ
Hi Russ,

Elapor is pretty tough. They will even make wheels out of it.

Jürgen
Old Jan 05, 2006, 03:23 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Hendricks
...P.S. I disagree with Jurgen's opinion on the EZ*'s looks. I think it's a great looking plane. ...
Hi Shaun,

Be careful - I may start a poll.

Jürgen
Old Jan 05, 2006, 04:46 PM
Given up counting
Bicester, UK
Joined Sep 2005
2,372 Posts
Quote:
Hi Shaun,

Jürgen
Why not start one? I like the EasyStar's look too. But I don't know why so many people use the D-EGLG lettering. It's not as if it's scale or something.
Wouldn't it be better to put your mobile phone number on it instead, in case the plane goes AWOL?

I don't use any of the decals. But I like the shape of the plane, and I think it looks great in the air.
alexeames is offline Find More Posts by alexeames
Old Jan 05, 2006, 04:56 PM
3 Blades to the Wind
Atascadero, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
4,085 Posts
Quote:
Hi Shaun,

Jürgen
Go ahead... I do not base my opinions of things on what others think anyway! If the entire planet says "It sucks" and I say "It doesn't" then, in matters of taste and preference, mine is correct is it not? LOL!
Shaun Hendricks is offline Find More Posts by Shaun Hendricks
Old Jan 05, 2006, 06:37 PM
I make ARFs out of RTFs..
Wexford, PA USA
Joined Jun 2004
641 Posts
Shaun,

Thank you very much for your detailed reply. I will follow your recommendations. I will use tape to put the fuse together, and PU glue for other parts. I am also curious about the GWS glue. I may experiment with that as well. My son can't wait to start building!

I agree with you that EZ is a nice looking plane. It has character! I also wonder if there are any planes that came to life as a model, and became full scale later because of their superb flight characteristics. I am not talking about building scale models of a plane during R&D phase of development. I've always thought MM Switchback would make a nice full scale plane.

ATAC
A.T.A.C. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.A.C.
Old Jan 05, 2006, 07:10 PM
Joined Feb 2003
2,411 Posts
Quote:
Hi Russ,

Elapor is pretty tough. They will even make wheels out of it.

Jürgen
Jurgen:

On your suggestion, since the foam is Elapor, I will try the foam floats on the frozen snow / ice, and report back to you on the results ... easier than making skis !!?! My EasyStar sure did take her share of beatings .. with NO ill effects !! .. Do you have any idea when the MiniMag will be available in the U.S. ??

Thanks for your help,

Russ
Closed Thread