HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old Jan 14, 2006, 03:41 PM
Registered User
United States, MA, Webster
Joined Feb 2003
2,402 Posts
Bill:

Is that the same flight where the airplane was "Zooming", and you had to use a lot of up elevator to keep it level ??

Edit:
SORRY, went back to look, and it was "mucho DOWN elevator" , my mistake,


Russ
MiniBoy is online now Find More Posts by MiniBoy
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2006, 03:58 PM
Unconventional
Time4RC's Avatar
Eastern Washington
Joined Jan 2005
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddybill
Russ,
The COG was at 78 mm on my last flight. The plane was in balance on my COG jig.
Question... to adjust my COG to 75 mm, should I move my battery towards the nose or torwards the tail? What do you think?
Bill
The measurements are being quoted from the leading edge of the wing. Move the battery forward to get the COG a shorter distance from the leading edge of the wing.
Time4RC is offline Find More Posts by Time4RC
Old Jan 14, 2006, 10:40 PM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2005
19 Posts
Russ,
Yes, that's the same flight. Haven't been able to get her out since then for the WX and other reasons.
Bill



Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniBoy
Bill:

Is that the same flight where the airplane was "Zooming", and you had to use a lot of up elevator to keep it level ??

Edit:
SORRY, went back to look, and it was "mucho DOWN elevator" , my mistake,


Russ
daddybill is offline Find More Posts by daddybill
Old Jan 14, 2006, 10:42 PM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2005
19 Posts
Thanks for the input. Will try that adjustment next time we go out.
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time4RC
The measurements are being quoted from the leading edge of the wing. Move the battery forward to get the COG a shorter distance from the leading edge of the wing.
daddybill is offline Find More Posts by daddybill
Old Jan 14, 2006, 11:56 PM
Registered User
United States, MA, Webster
Joined Feb 2003
2,402 Posts
Bill:

We all know this is a complex issue for a beginner, and some of us oldtimers, too !!. Try to think of it this way. We humans can make the plane balance anywhere we want to .. put the COG jig anywhere you want, and then move the battery pack around, add lead, hang a steam iron off the nose or tail .. and the airplane balances !! YEahhh ... BUT ... that will not necessarily make the airplane happy and fly correctly.

Let's do this backwards .. do us a favor ... first, move the battery pack forward a 1/2 inch, then put the airplane back on the COG jig, move the airplane fore and aft on the COG jig until it is nicely balanced, and then report back to us with where the new COG, measured from the leading edge of the wing, ends up.

Hope I'm not confusing you, just trying to help,

Click on the link below, an go down the page to the video clips .. the EZ pilot actually puts the TX on the ground and launches the thing !!! This is exactly how it flies when trimmed out and balanced. Mine did this on the second flight .. ( after moving the battery pack forward ).

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/easystar-rtf.htm

Russ
MiniBoy is online now Find More Posts by MiniBoy
Old Jan 15, 2006, 01:11 PM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2005
19 Posts
Russ,
Thanks again for all your help. Too windy to fly today so no field results to report. I moved the battery pack forward 1/2 inch and now the COG is 76mm from leading edge. I liked that video clip.
Bill





Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniBoy
Bill:

We all know this is a complex issue for a beginner, and some of us oldtimers, too !!. Try to think of it this way. We humans can make the plane balance anywhere we want to .. put the COG jig anywhere you want, and then move the battery pack around, add lead, hang a steam iron off the nose or tail .. and the airplane balances !! YEahhh ... BUT ... that will not necessarily make the airplane happy and fly correctly.

Let's do this backwards .. do us a favor ... first, move the battery pack forward a 1/2 inch, then put the airplane back on the COG jig, move the airplane fore and aft on the COG jig until it is nicely balanced, and then report back to us with where the new COG, measured from the leading edge of the wing, ends up.

Hope I'm not confusing you, just trying to help,

Click on the link below, an go down the page to the video clips .. the EZ pilot actually puts the TX on the ground and launches the thing !!! This is exactly how it flies when trimmed out and balanced. Mine did this on the second flight .. ( after moving the battery pack forward ).

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/easystar-rtf.htm

Russ
daddybill is offline Find More Posts by daddybill
Old Jan 15, 2006, 01:33 PM
Registered User
United States, MA, Webster
Joined Feb 2003
2,402 Posts
Bill:

Good, I think you will see a positive improvement. If you find the liitle honey is still trying to to climb in a low throttle or no throttle glide, move the pack forward some more. Keep in mind though, the airplane will climb at full throttle simply because the airspeed increases, thus, the lift of the wing increases also. That is normal for almost all aircraft with a flat-bottomed wing.

Keep us posted.

Russ
MiniBoy is online now Find More Posts by MiniBoy
Old Jan 15, 2006, 03:52 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2004
2,125 Posts
gone fishing
FRAMEDNLVS is offline Find More Posts by FRAMEDNLVS
Last edited by FRAMEDNLVS; Aug 04, 2006 at 01:42 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 05:16 PM
I make ARFs out of RTFs..
Wexford, PA USA
Joined Jun 2004
641 Posts
I maidened the EZ* today. The conditions were not optimum, winds up to 12 mph, sunset, 25 F temp. She flew nicely at first flight. She had a tendecy to porpoise when the throttle was off. I had the CG set for 76 mm. from the leading edge. I moved the battery ~1cm forward. She flew perfectly. I gave the Tx to my 5-years-old son when I was up two mistakes high. He was able to fly it! I landed the plane with a nice smooth landing, dead stick. The Parkzone radio worked really nicely, allowing us to have dual rates. Overall, my son and I are very pleased with this plane.
A.T.A.C. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.A.C.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 05:34 PM
Registered User
United States, MA, Webster
Joined Feb 2003
2,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T.A.C.
I maidened the EZ* today. The conditions were not optimum, winds up to 12 mph, sunset, 25 F temp. She flew nicely at first flight. She had a tendecy to porpoise when the throttle was off. I had the CG set for 76 mm. from the leading edge. I moved the battery ~1cm forward. She flew perfectly. I gave the Tx to my 5-years-old son when I was up two mistakes high. He was able to fly it! I landed the plane with a nice smooth landing, dead stick. The Parkzone radio worked really nicely, allowing us to have dual rates. Overall, my son and I are very pleased with this plane.
CONGRATULATIONS to you and your son!! I think "DaddyBill" will be happy to hear of the COG issue, too.

Wishing you and your son many more enjoyable flights with the EZ Star,

Russ
MiniBoy is online now Find More Posts by MiniBoy
Old Jan 15, 2006, 06:00 PM
I make ARFs out of RTFs..
Wexford, PA USA
Joined Jun 2004
641 Posts
Russ, thanks!

I can understand the popularity of this plane. It is truly easy to build and fly. I will be recommending it to anyone who is serious about trying R/C flight.

Atac
A.T.A.C. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.A.C.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 08:01 PM
Registered User
United States, MA, Webster
Joined Feb 2003
2,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T.A.C.
Russ, thanks!

I can understand the popularity of this plane. It is truly easy to build and fly. I will be recommending it to anyone who is serious about trying R/C flight.

Atac
A.T.A.C. :

For those reasons, this airplane, as well as this amazing thread, has brought many new-comers to the RC world ... WITH succesful first or second flights ... and, in many cases ( as with myself ), NO club, NO instructor ... Just Do It !!! ( with REASONABLE CAUTION ) !!

We must thank Jurgen Heilig for getting us "hooked" on the EZ Star in August of 2003:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144078

And to all of the hundreds of contributors to this thread, which is now approaching 14,000 posts !!

Russ
MiniBoy is online now Find More Posts by MiniBoy
Old Jan 15, 2006, 08:08 PM
"SARGE"
sargentw's Avatar
Fairfax Station, (Northern) Virginia
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDNYJERY
Question gentlemen, Do I have to modify the rudder and if so how much bigger should I make it for the best flying out of this great airplane???? thanks much
All the Best NYFDJERY

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutat
I just used Sarge's rudder mod - about 20 seconds with a saw and some sandpaper. No nee for balsa IMHO.
Right this one is quick, easy, and effective.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350408


Here is a more advanced replacement of the rudder which will give you good "rudder" rolls and yet follows the natural lines of the plane. Check Post 116

Sarge
sargentw is offline Find More Posts by sargentw
Last edited by sargentw; Jan 15, 2006 at 08:14 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 08:41 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2004
5,237 Posts
Sarge, to fill the gap when you enlarge the rudder I used hot glue rather than trying to fill it with foam, etc. I'll post some pics.
rutat is offline Find More Posts by rutat
Old Jan 15, 2006, 10:32 PM
Registered User
Reno,Nevada
Joined Oct 2005
61 Posts
Newbie ??'s

Hi,Im new to this thread and I've read quit a bit of it.
I have a few ??'s I hope someone could give some suggestions on.I recently purchased a used EZ from the for sale forum.It will be my first plane that,I will attempt to fly.I will be using a 6ch futaba TX.I was wondering If someone could briefly explain what settings on my TX I should change or leave alone such as trim settings,D/R's,Etc. Should I leave them at neutral or 100%?For my maiden.
How do I dertermine the cog without a jig?Do I need a cog jig? And If so where can I pick one up?How much do they run?I understand this a little from the previous posts here,as far as so many mm's from the leading edge.
I appreciate any help anyone could provide.

Ps:The plane is equipped with an axi brushless,25 amp CC ESC,hs55 and 81's,electron 6,and has modded balsa elevator and rudder (enlarged),is also set up with ailerons.

Thanks
jessnlaurie is offline Find More Posts by jessnlaurie
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question Multiplex Easy Star brucie1dog Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 12 Dec 01, 2009 09:32 PM
Multiplex Easy Star Built on time! Speed E Freak Foamies (Kits) 10 Sep 01, 2009 11:30 AM
Discussion Multiplex EasyStar 2007 A discussion of anything Easy Star and sometimes more alexeames Foamies (Kits) 10990 Dec 31, 2007 06:12 PM
Discussion Multiplex Easy Star Thread #21 - what more can I say?? Gort@69 Foamies (Kits) 2015 Dec 31, 2005 10:33 PM
Question Multiplex Easy Star RTF Help! brucie1dog Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 2 Feb 22, 2004 11:49 AM