HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old May 19, 2006, 01:49 AM
A.K.A. Reaper Keeper
United States, NV, Sparks
Joined Feb 2006
177 Posts
Looks like the spar is ~19 1/2inches stock. I cut mine down to 19 1/4in and it fits perfect.
SMonkey is offline Find More Posts by SMonkey
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2006, 06:40 AM
Joined Apr 2006
48 Posts
My EasyStar comes from a kit and I also had to cut 1/4 inch from the spar in order to fit. It looks like everybody has to cut the spar. Strange that the building instructions never mention that? Maybe that the composite rods supplier goofed a bit! Who knows?
JB48 is offline Find More Posts by JB48
Old May 19, 2006, 08:05 AM
"SARGE"
Fairfax Station, (Northern) Virginia
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB48
My EasyStar comes from a kit and I also had to cut 1/4 inch from the spar in order to fit. It looks like everybody has to cut the spar. Strange that the building instructions never mention that? Maybe that the composite rods supplier goofed a bit! Who knows?
Leave it at 19.5. The only thing you have to do is push/twist it in only 1/8 " more on each wing. That's EZ.

You guys can do this. Check where I've replaced the 19.5 with a 26" CF rod. I had to do some pushing and twisting to get it to fit.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&page=20&pp=15
Post 296
sargentw is offline Find More Posts by sargentw
Last edited by sargentw; May 19, 2006 at 08:14 AM.
Old May 19, 2006, 08:07 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianRickman
Very nice.

Is that EPP foam?
What size box will you use?
Do you know how much it will cost to mail yet?

Brian,

Thanks. The foam is packing foam, used in shipping to help secure items in a box during shipment. I found this site, it looks like it's the same stuff. I've seen this foam around for 20 years now, so it's a common item. Maybe check with your shipping dept at work if you have one?

The box measures 43 x 21.5 x 11. I do not know how much it will cost to mail yet. When I know, I'll post it.

Frank
Murocflyer is online now Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old May 19, 2006, 04:42 PM
Not so fast....
Boulder, Colorado
Joined Apr 2005
518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Adam
Brian - I'm sure the EZ* is perfect out of the box but there's nothing in this world that can't be improved . My EZ* is lighter, less noisy and stays aloft for 30+ minutes.

Adam

I am thinking of going brushless, mostly so that I can get my EZ up high as soon as possible (I fly in a quite small area). I fly very early in the mornings, so having a less noisy motor would also be useful. Is a brushless motor really appreciably quieter than the stock brushed one?
jellied is offline Find More Posts by jellied
Old May 19, 2006, 05:26 PM
Marlborough, Massachussetts, United States
Joined May 2002
1,878 Posts
How small is "quite small" ? Landing may be a problem if it's smaller then a baseball field.

If the two motors turn the same prop at the same speed, then they will make the same amount of noise. If the brushless motor turns the same prop faster, it will make more noise.

The only way the brushless would be quieter is if it were spinning a bigger prop at a lower speed. This would produce more thrust, which is good if you are trying to get up high in a hurry. The bad part is that to use anything bigger then a 6" prop you will need to mount the motor higher up, which will require a bit of creativity.

I often fly at 6AM at a local park. The people out walking and/or jogging do not appear to mind the noise of the stock motor/prop combination, but there are no houses nearby. I find that once the ES is over 100 feet up, it seems to get much quieter. Running at half throttle also reduces the noise level substantially, and still provides enough power to climb. Using 1/2 throttle when it's above 300 feet I can barely hear it.
BrianRickman is offline Find More Posts by BrianRickman
Old May 19, 2006, 06:03 PM
Joined May 2006
8,108 Posts
After lurking a reading for a while I finally ordered my EZ* today from hobbly-lobby. I got the ARF kit witht he "everything you need package".

I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I'm sure I'll be bugging y'all with questions sometime soon.

S

PS - Has anyone tried the Coldheat soldering tool they show on TV?
Socomon is offline Find More Posts by Socomon
Last edited by Socomon; May 19, 2006 at 06:16 PM.
Old May 19, 2006, 06:17 PM
A land Far, Far away
Joined Aug 2002
207 Posts
Welcome Socomon, You will love this plane...
Just made my first flight with a camera. Would like to show the video but can't seem to get it posted????
This is the very best plane for shooting video that I have found! So easy to fly that you have time to look around and think of what you want to shoot...now if I could just learn to edit,,,
ElectroBill is offline Find More Posts by ElectroBill
Old May 19, 2006, 06:23 PM
Joined Jun 2004
2,125 Posts
gone fishing
FRAMEDNLVS is offline Find More Posts by FRAMEDNLVS
Last edited by FRAMEDNLVS; Aug 03, 2006 at 11:10 PM.
Old May 19, 2006, 07:47 PM
Not so fast....
Boulder, Colorado
Joined Apr 2005
518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianRickman

If the two motors turn the same prop at the same speed, then they will make the same amount of noise. If the brushless motor turns the same prop faster, it will make more noise.
I thought that the motor itself was less noisy because there is much less friction without the brushes?

I fly in a baseball field, and landing is sometimes a problem, for sure. The EZ loves to glide and so my approaches have to be nice and long. How do you all get your EZ back to earth in small spaces? You can't side-slip it (which works great on full scale aircraft) because there are no ailerons!
jellied is offline Find More Posts by jellied
Old May 19, 2006, 08:00 PM
What fence?
Henderson, NV
Joined Nov 2005
98 Posts
Stock prop question

Will the stock prop do 45,000 rpm, ie. will it work on a 4000kv brushless motor at 11.1v? It has flown off twice when I've tried it on a bench test. The epoxy doesn't seem to bond very well with the smooth inside lining of the rubber spinner/grommet that holds the prop onto the shaft. I understand that the included Permax Speed 400 does 2900kv and is rated for 7.2-8.4v (21,000 to 24,000 rpm).

I'm concerned that not only will the rubber prop spinner not handle the increased power, but that the prop itself may come apart if spun twice as fast. I kept everything original on my build except the motor -- but now I'm wondering if the prop & spinner have to go too.
EricUtah is offline Find More Posts by EricUtah
Old May 19, 2006, 08:41 PM
"SARGE"
Fairfax Station, (Northern) Virginia
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socomon
After lurking a reading for a while I finally ordered my EZ* today from hobbly-lobby. I got the ARF kit witht he "everything you need package".

I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I'm sure I'll be bugging y'all with questions sometime soon.

S

PS - Has anyone tried the Coldheat soldering tool they show on TV?
Welcome aboard! I'd avoid the Coldheat soldering tool. Don't get me started again on similar products like Ronco's Mr. Michrophone or the Pocket Fisherman...
sargentw is offline Find More Posts by sargentw
Old May 19, 2006, 08:53 PM
Joined Jun 2004
2,125 Posts
gone fishing
FRAMEDNLVS is offline Find More Posts by FRAMEDNLVS
Last edited by FRAMEDNLVS; Aug 03, 2006 at 11:10 PM.
Old May 19, 2006, 09:00 PM
Tenino WA.
Joined May 2004
1,195 Posts
Chris bet ur gonna get swamped ++++++++++

AS SEEN ON TV ???????????????????????
CRASHED AGAIN is offline Find More Posts by CRASHED AGAIN
Old May 19, 2006, 09:42 PM
A land Far, Far away
Joined Aug 2002
207 Posts
Try posting here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=273
I did, no luck!
Don't know what im doin' wrong, but thanks anyway it's a lot of fun combining flying and photography (two expensive hobbies I might add!)
ElectroBill is offline Find More Posts by ElectroBill
Closed Thread