SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 31, 2005, 02:03 AM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
Careful!
First glitch with Spektrum DX6 system

I was in the warm southern California for almost 5 days with the glitch free Spektrum Dx6 on my Trex. I was perfoming great with no problem. I was flying as far as I could with no glitch nor strange behaviors. I removed all the ferrite rings I got previously with the JR R700 and Electron 6. I saved some weights when doing so and switching to Dx6 system.

After vacation, I went back to the dry & cold east coast (Maryland to be specific) after the vacation with no change in the system of my heli. Here, in my my bedroom, I was hovering and noticed the heli made some suddent moves on its own. It could either jump up, drop altitute, or even have some hard cyclic movement very briefly.

I set the heli down, remove the main blades after it hit me once in my left eye when I accidently bump the left stick a little. . I spun it up, and I see, ocasionally, all three servos moving up & down in a fraction of second. Playing with heli in that condition, especially when I reduce the range of the TX, could result in that ESC cuts off, stops, and flashes its red led. Problem only appears when the heli is spinning.

I first thought I had some wires loosing or a servo going bad. After trying finding that for a while and think about it on glitch perspective, I got a coper wire with two clips and connected the frame to the negative side of the battery. The problem was still there. I didn't do this when I had my JRR700 or Electron 6, they were fine and having some tail wags at distance but that was it. It was still flying good.

I then wildly connected the frame to the tail case. I saw a spark when the wire touched the alum tail case. To my surprise, the problem is gone. I'm really happy to see it's gone though

My concern is that I didn't fly with any wires between frame & tail case for almost 8 months. I've been also flying it in sub freezing cold weather (20*F) with no problem. Yesterday, it was around 72*F indoor with hummidity about 40 - 50%. Maybe I just recently replaced the mH tail rotor shaft with CNC pulley by the Align one with the plastic pulley and that causes the static to build up. This replacement was done probably a week before I received and installed the DX6 system, and I didn't observe before having the Dx6.

So I guess each system reacts with glitch differently. DX6 is solid, but I guess it's still sensitive to those sparks or static base glitch. I guess we need to take care of all possible the source of glitch in any system.

Here is a picture of how I connect the wire

thanh
thanhTran is offline Find More Posts by thanhTran
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2005, 02:07 AM
United States, ID, CDA
Joined Aug 2005
624 Posts
Amazing!
marter1229 is offline Find More Posts by marter1229
Old Dec 31, 2005, 02:49 AM
But it wasnt like that b4
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2004
186 Posts
something to be said for aluminium tail booms??
The RC Rat is offline Find More Posts by The RC Rat
Old Dec 31, 2005, 03:05 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Apr 2004
4,930 Posts
Glad you found and fixed the problem Thanh. Are you some kind of scientist or something?

Hey I didn't know you came to LA. Where did you fly at?
EddieNewYork is offline Find More Posts by EddieNewYork
Old Dec 31, 2005, 03:49 AM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The RC Rat
something to be said for aluminium tail booms??
I guess if it was an aluminum boom, I will have a wire between the boom and the frame (just like others have done to cure their glitches)
Old Dec 31, 2005, 03:56 AM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieNewYork
Glad you found and fixed the problem Thanh. Are you some kind of scientist or something?

Hey I didn't know you came to LA. Where did you fly at?
Hi Eddie, Thanks. Yah I'm glad to see that problem before the motor shutdown in the middle of a flight due to glitch. When it has glitch, it recovers very fast so have I not hovered closely, I wouldn't see it.

I went to OC so briefly that I didn't pm you and didn't have a chance to see your toys . I was flying at a park in walking distance from my parent-in-law house (across the back yard actually, but I couldn't cross the high private fence ) in Westminster, California. I was able to meet LowFlyer101 and my uncle in law. Both were flying Trex. It was fun actually. That was my first time flying with someone else.

thanh
Old Dec 31, 2005, 09:50 AM
Old new guy
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Sep 2004
3,152 Posts
Westminster is 10 minutes from me.
TheX is offline Find More Posts by TheX
Old Dec 31, 2005, 11:17 AM
RC-Nut-Job!
New York
Joined Jul 2001
970 Posts
Very disturbing.......while using the DX6 system.

I doubt VERY much it was any interference.. (except for sorta like an ESP=Electric static pulse)

As you mention you didn't ground the tail section which should be done no matter what system you are using as when that bolt of electrical static jumps...it doesn't matter, it's going to knock your system for a loop...
That belt going very fast in any tube CF or Alumn is creating friction and works like a hall effect....Once you have to much buildup it must go somewhere.........

I wouldn't have called it a glitch.......Electrical Static pulse (Buildup) is NOT a glitch......You got hit.....

If I read correctly DX6 system doesn't say is bullet proof against HITS (ESP)...it does say it pretty much bullet proof as for the signal and any interference in that area.....Like I said...Even NASA quality stuff get HIT and gets knocked out!

Everyone, should ground that tail boom you MUST have a good ground throughout the Heli..this has been discussed to death....I've been grounding frame, motor plate, tail boom on my Helis for 5 years now and NEVER get HIT.....

I'm usually the cause of all my crashes......Dumb Thumb it!

BUT as you said you worked it out....And also for the life of me..I don't know why the makers don't put it in the book to ground the tail boom....It's the law of physics.......that belt is going to make static NO MATTER WHAT....the thing is is to create a good solid drain to ground....

Also I use ONLY aluminum Booms......
Lv2Fly is offline Find More Posts by Lv2Fly
Old Dec 31, 2005, 11:51 AM
Hotep
UK
Joined Dec 2005
2,395 Posts
Maan, reading the 1st post got me worred, but after reading the rest.. i can now rest.
Pheeew
ShuNut is offline Find More Posts by ShuNut
Old Dec 31, 2005, 03:49 PM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2Fly
Very disturbing.......while using the DX6 system.

I doubt VERY much it was any interference.. (except for sorta like an ESP=Electric static pulse)
I wouldn't have called it a glitch.......Electrical Static pulse (Buildup) is NOT a glitch......You got hit.....
I agree with you that static causes this. But I think that's a definition of glitch, something unwanted. What I'm trying to say is, without proper setup, nothing is good against glitch or ESP or whatever you call it.

CF boom is just like alum boom. They all conductive! You can measure the resistance between the two ends of the boom.

The plastic that hold the boom, bearings, the plastic pulleys that run on the shaft are those non conductive stuff. And those cause static to build up. Remember that I didn't ground the boom. I connected the tail case to the frame. The frame is not connected to ground (i.e neg side of the batt.)

Because of this experience, I think I need to ground the main shaft as well. I don't have the aluminum bearing block which can drain the static to the frame. The blade spins fast in the air, a hell of static is there in the blade.

thanh
Old Dec 31, 2005, 03:52 PM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheX
Westminster is 10 minutes from me.
That's close. Sorry I didn't see you. I will have to see you next time I'm there

thanh
Old Dec 31, 2005, 03:54 PM
Old new guy
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Sep 2004
3,152 Posts
We can have a T-Rex fun fly.
TheX is offline Find More Posts by TheX
Old Dec 31, 2005, 03:56 PM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
yup, yuuup, yuuuup
Old Dec 31, 2005, 04:19 PM
Southeast PA
Joined Oct 2005
2,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2Fly
Everyone, should ground that tail boom you MUST have a good ground throughout the Heli..this has been discussed to death....I've been grounding frame, motor plate, tail boom on my Helis for 5 years now and NEVER get HIT...........

I'm kinda new at this, but I was wondering if you know of a particular post that deals with how to ground your heli. Thanks if you can help...
Vario3 is offline Find More Posts by Vario3
Old Dec 31, 2005, 05:08 PM
RC-Nut-Job!
New York
Joined Jul 2001
970 Posts
Vario3

Its been talked about many times in many threads.
On SMall Heli and mostly Large Electric Heli...

Alot of info was talked about the Logo-10 wih this very problem, I will look for threads and post some as I can find them.

You can also do a search in this forum and larger Heli on search "Grounding tail boom"

See what come up....You will find it has helped MANY....

thanhtran:
yes many of the other parts do creat Noise and staic. The Bearings can be changed to ceramic to make sure they dont cause static and or rf noise.
The only thing I've ever done is, ground everything well, use RF choke "Ferriet Ring" and keep all RX, ESC, BEC far from each other as possible and have BEEN VERY LUCKY with no major problems.

.Everyone have a happy New year....I'm off to party!
Lv2Fly is offline Find More Posts by Lv2Fly