HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2005, 09:47 PM
Joined Sep 2005
8 Posts
Discussion
Sterling BB Uss Missouri

It has taken me a while to get the bugs out of my old computer, but I have finally gotten this far. I read your posts with great interest and even awe sometimes. My brother, Jim, posted a while back that I had found an old Sterling Chris Craft kit at a yard sale. I still have that kit. In combing through the basement I found another old Sterling kit. This one is the USS Missouri. It states 55" 1/2 long and a beam of 6 3/4". It also has the B-17 F fitting kit. I suppose there would be a market on E-Bay for this thing, but I thought I might mention it here first. I also doubt that I would be able to complete this kit in a respectable fashion........or time.

JP Duda
JP Duda is offline Find More Posts by JP Duda
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2005, 10:19 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,611 Posts
There is DEFINITELY a market for it on the Bay, it's a collectors item, someone would pay big bucks for it. My suggestion to you would be if you really want to get into boats, put it away and keep it. Start off by building simple models and working your way up to more challenging models to develop your skills. Then there will come a day when you will say to yourself, I can do that, it's a piece of cake.

Right now you see it as a major project and it will get the best of you if you try building it now. You wouldn't be happy with the results and it would discourage you from building anymore.

If you still insist on getting ride of it, I can give a nice home for 20 bucks
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Dec 30, 2005, 11:33 PM
Joined Sep 2005
8 Posts
That may be a solution. I did look inside the box to make sure that the fitting box was inside. It reminded me of the stick and tissue planes I built as a youngster. The people on this BB have certainly helped my brother. Are there some "first time" kits that would help a guy dip a toe in the water?
Old Dec 31, 2005, 12:09 AM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,611 Posts
About the simplest/fastest boat to get into the water I would say is the Vac-u-tug. http://vac-u-boat.com The gentleman who owns the company came to our last regatta to show off his wares, great guy-could talk to him for hours, there is a picture page on his site. They are a simple build and go together fast so you don't get discouraged. The instructions are well written. You can add more detail as you see fit.

Regarding the Sterling BB, the kit is set up for a single screw drive. I have seen an article somewhere on converting it to a 3 screw just like the original. For the life of me I can't remember where I saw it but I know it is out there.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 06:24 PM
Gravity won...!
Austin, TX USA
Joined Jan 2001
399 Posts
Your big brother - the wimp!

Hey John - you could wimp out like I did and get a RTR (Ready To Run) and be ready to go at the lagoon as soon as the ice melts...(wink)

Seriously, you could "detail" the Vac-U-Tow with your airbrush, add tug fittings, tires, etc., and end up with a neat little rescue boat.
Jim Duda is offline Find More Posts by Jim Duda
Old Dec 31, 2005, 07:13 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,817 Posts
Hi guys, just read the post on the STERLING battleship and hav eto agree that if you think that the model is beyond you at this time, put it away for a future build. This is a very sought after model and if you give it up now, you may kill yourself latter when you think of the fact that it was in your hot little hands. By the way GREENBOAT the real battleship had 4 screws, 4 engine rooms, 8 bolier rooms, 2 rudders. On the real ship the inboard props were 4 blade and the outboard props were 5 blade. The 2 starboard props turned clockwise, the 2 port props turned counter clockwise looking forward form the stern. By the way who ever offered $20.00 for the kit is NOT YOUR FREIND. Have a HAPPY NEW YEAR guys!!!
frankg is online now Find More Posts by frankg
Old Dec 31, 2005, 08:30 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,611 Posts
I stand corrected, frankg is right there are 4 screws on the BB. I don't know what I was thinking, it was late and it had been a busy work week.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 01:46 PM
Let er Rip
Long Island, NY
Joined Oct 2003
3,111 Posts
Sterling USS BB63 Missouri

Here's mine, makes a nice model. Set up for single screw, gearing in for three screw, but runs fine on the single.

Extra lead detailing as well as Brass etch sheet work.

I've seen these kits, (when you can find one) go for anywhere from $160.00 to over $300.00 on Ebay. Scarce nowdays.

Jim
Pilot44 is offline Find More Posts by Pilot44
Last edited by Pilot44; Jan 10, 2006 at 02:29 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 02:59 PM
Joined Sep 2005
8 Posts
Well, maybe I will have to hang on to this kit for a while. I may have to learn how to build after all! Spectacular!
Old Jan 10, 2006, 05:47 PM
"Old 8140"
Arizona Via NH
Joined Mar 2005
279 Posts
You can not go wrong with a VAC-U-TUG !!!! These kits are awesome and you can detail them all you wish, Go to the web site and look around. Go to the special boats section and see what can be done.

Jim
Old 8140 is offline Find More Posts by Old 8140
Old Jan 19, 2006, 03:45 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1 Posts
When it rains it pours: there are 2 kits available on ebay right now. One is asking 250 (249.999999) starting bid, the other is asking 150 starting bid. Interestingly enough, they are from opposite sides of the US from different sellers but end within a couple hours of each other. 6030288778, 6030310778
noobie builder is offline Find More Posts by noobie builder
Old Jan 19, 2006, 04:36 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,417 Posts
As an interim, you might make a copy of the plans. People often seem to find that kit but not always with the plans. You could provide a service there.

Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Jan 19, 2006, 05:00 PM
Let er Rip
Long Island, NY
Joined Oct 2003
3,111 Posts
I Have the original plans and layout.

Other then my boat, I have seen few, finished Sterling Kits, BB63 Missouri. such as mine.

Anybody got one???? Be nice to see how other folks rendered this kit.

The kit is a classic, you can bring detail to my level or go max on detail. I'm always adding more when its raining outside...

Jim
Pilot44 is offline Find More Posts by Pilot44
Old Jan 20, 2006, 11:42 AM
Newburgh New York
Joined May 2005
823 Posts
nice jim.
like the two shows size.
wingnut163 is offline Find More Posts by wingnut163
Old Jan 21, 2006, 06:22 PM
Central Missouri,USA Along the banks of the Missouri River
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
Apprasial needed

Hi,I have a Sterling Missouri,just the box 2 sets of plans and alot of pieces and parts.The box is in very nice condition.What do you guys think its worth??I paid $5.00 for it at an antique store.Thanks
tim slocum is offline Find More Posts by tim slocum