Closed Thread
Old Jul 09, 2006, 08:03 PM
"No, I'm not too old"
Indianapolis, Indiana
Joined Feb 2006
362 Posts
Tail Kick-out Problem/Solved

Hello All,

Just had great weekend flyn' round my HBFPII and found the answer to my post of #708.
I usually don't adjust things outside, but I thought, "What the heck I have spare parts if I adjust too much and CRASH, I can fix it" Well much to my surprize I had the gyro about 1/4 on (allowing for easy tail rpm changes), so I gave a little more clockwise adjustment on the gyro, problem solved!
I "fly" the tail so much I forget there is another brain here to help fly our favorite heli.

Regards, Stephen Happy Flying
ritzheli is offline Find More Posts by ritzheli
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2006, 12:45 AM
United Kingdom, England, Redditch
Joined Jul 2006
199 Posts
Oww and hummy thread ! great, yes I love mine with a passion. its had .. let me think back now. 3 sets of landing gear , oww I do hate them mine is mainly epoxy and carbon firbe now and now I have found the JOY and I mean absolute JOY of a 7.2v 2 cell lipo and 20 mins flight time.

I have used it a few times to take arial videos with one of the little wireless cams but I have noticed with the FP when you back off the power alot to bring her down she does like to go on a trip all by herself, gently gently with the downwards motion is what i've learned, I have the PRO cp too, but the FP is the one that goes with me everywhere and so its the one I asociate with the "Owww look at that mummy" and the "ahhh look a helicopter!" suprising how many people own one of these things and how rare they still are.

and the radio gear that comes with the HB is just the most sexy of ALL the cheap 4 channel kits, I mean it LOOKS like a proper set all metal front crome here and shiney here, LCD display so I can pretend its my second JR 347 carry handle ! top bit of kit even if the handing gear was about as much use as a chocolate teapot
foxabilo is offline Find More Posts by foxabilo
Old Jul 10, 2006, 08:27 AM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxabilo
I have noticed with the FP when you back off the power alot to bring her down she does like to go on a trip all by herself
I noticed that too, and if you are hovering, there's not much you can do to fix it. But if you are in forward flight and want to come down/transition back to hover, just ease back on the power but keep some forward cyclic in. This keeps the speed up and the control response is still there. As you get close in / low down, ease back on the cyclic and push up the power. I like to spin the tail around too for a quick 180 back to tail-in. Great fun, and looks fancy too!

-Chris
JustPlaneChris is online now Find More Posts by JustPlaneChris
Old Jul 10, 2006, 08:36 AM
United Kingdom, England, Redditch
Joined Jul 2006
199 Posts
Ahh yes, I have heard speak of the tail spin get out of jail free manover but never tried it, apperently that is taught to real 1:1 heli pilots incase they ever settle into there own downwash, forward cyclic and a 180 and your in virgin new air. I think the FP loss of control while decending is a problem common to all FP heli's because lets face it what your doing when going down is removing alot of the rotational spin thats keeping the dam thing stable in the first place. I will always rember the first time I took a raptor CP up and was expecting it to have the jitters like a hummy FP, and the dam thing just sat there 3 feet in the air and with a look on its nose of "Ok i'm hovering boss, what next?" but I will always be greatfull I did learn with a FP because it teaches you to be Sooo much more responsive and delicate AND you get to kill the power when the rotors head south , (edit: Oww and the 4 channel gear on FP can be reused !!! not like the cheapo CP's)
foxabilo is offline Find More Posts by foxabilo
Old Jul 10, 2006, 03:08 PM
it ain't got no gas in it
misery, USA
Joined Jun 2006
321 Posts
OK I think I crash so much because my heli is out of trim, I cant hover yet so how do I tell if my heli is out of trim?
xmod heli alloy is offline Find More Posts by xmod heli alloy
Old Jul 10, 2006, 03:29 PM
small electrics r BIG FUN
Iowa
Joined Aug 2000
4,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmod heli alloy
OK I think I crash so much because my heli is out of trim, I cant hover yet so how do I tell if my heli is out of trim?

Hopefully you have installed the training gear, and you also have an area at least 10 feet square that is smooth. With your trims in the middle positions, very slowly add throttle and see which way the helicopter wants to go. Return to zero throtttle and apply a few clicks of opposite trim. Repeat as necessary for foreward, back, left and right. As has been mentioned before, just before liftoff, the helicopter wants to move to the left so take that into consideration. After liftoff a properly trimmed helicopter will not have the tendency to pull to the left. BUT you are not ready to lift off yet. After you have your trims set so you can control the helicopter as it gets light on the gear, practice scooting across the smooth surface in different directions. This will teach you what to expect from each control. Only after you can control the helicopter on the ground, then you can lift off for brief periods only while you get better at the controls. This worked great for me, your mileage may vary. Have fun !
Al P is offline Find More Posts by Al P
Old Jul 10, 2006, 03:37 PM
Iowa
Joined Aug 2000
4,310 Posts
One more thing.... Be absolutely certain you are not tail heavy!!! When using the stock battery pack, I had to add a quarter, a nickel, and a dime to the nose in order for it to balance correctly. A model not balanced properly is a nightmare to fly and impossible to trim properly.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 03:51 PM
misery, USA
Joined Jun 2006
321 Posts
OK I have a 100ft by 500ft place to fly but its all grass (no flat spots) and no traning gear.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 05:09 PM
Huntsville, TX.
Joined May 2006
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmod heli alloy
OK I have a 100ft by 500ft place to fly but its all grass (no flat spots) and no traning gear.

I cut as 20 x 20 foot area on the lowerest setting of the lawnmower. With the training gear on, I had very little problems of snagging. If I have to set the heli down in the taller grass I would considered it a crash.

Brian
bhbuster is offline Find More Posts by bhbuster
Old Jul 10, 2006, 06:14 PM
Iowa
Joined Aug 2000
4,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhbuster
I cut as 20 x 20 foot area on the lowerest setting of the lawnmower. With the training gear on, I had very little problems of snagging. If I have to set the heli down in the taller grass I would considered it a crash.

Brian

That's a great idea. My father in law had a couple big pieces of used carpet that we laid out on his lawn. It wasn't as nice as the cement floor of his carport, but was ok to get started on. The smoother the better, so the balls of the training gear don't snag. If you don't have training gear, smooth is more important because the skids are easier to catch on things and upset the helicopter.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 08:15 PM
Huntsville, TX.
Joined May 2006
394 Posts
Without the training gear you have to get it up off of the grass quickly. Even short grass is not very friendly for sliding around on stock gear.

Brian
bhbuster is offline Find More Posts by bhbuster
Old Jul 10, 2006, 08:31 PM
misery, USA
Joined Jun 2006
321 Posts
I am using a wood board as a takeoff place.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 06:18 PM
Tied to the whipping post
Warm-Sunny-no-Wind, Az.
Joined Dec 2003
2,479 Posts
I learned quickly with my HB FB that chopping the throttle the second you realize that you are doomed, saves alot of moving and electronic parts from breaking/burning. Hope that works out when I am flying the KING and TREX. . Just this weekend I was faced with a situation choosing between possibly hitting people or a 50ft Pine tree after losing orientation near dark. I took option 3 and chopped the throttle at 30ft and it fell to earth between the two. No damage!! I picked it up, dusted it off and went right into a hover.

A fuse may cause a crash, especially if its a fast blo IMHO.

-Mike
DangerBird is offline Find More Posts by DangerBird
Old Jul 11, 2006, 07:00 PM
What power line?
Rocky Mountains
Joined Aug 2004
3,507 Posts
Okay, I got my HH gyro in place. FP heli. I put the yellow wire on CH 5, and just switched out the other wires and connectors. Had to put it on upside down because of wire length issues. I don't think this will matter, as the axis is still correct.
Let's see what happens this time. Maybe I can fly!
PoudreDerf is offline Find More Posts by PoudreDerf
Old Jul 11, 2006, 07:14 PM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerBird
A fuse may cause a crash, especially if its a fast blo IMHO.

-Mike
Hey Mike, I'm using the 7.5 amp and 3 amp mini-blade fuses as recommended by SSG Scott to protect the 4-in-1. I have no worry about them ever causing a crash, since I've measured max current draw at 4.5 amps (Full power plus full right tail rotor).

I do try to cut power just before impact when I "oops" but in the event I forget someday, it's nice to know I can just solder in a new fuse instead of replacing the 4-in-1.

-Chris
JustPlaneChris is online now Find More Posts by JustPlaneChris
Closed Thread