HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 07, 2006, 06:35 PM
What power line?
Rocky Mountains
Joined Aug 2004
3,507 Posts
Poudre Canyon FP Heli

I sent out my helicopter to get it pimped. Wow, was I ever in for a surprise. I got it from Century for fifty bucks and chucked the busted plastic. I sent it to a professional heli-dude. It came back like this.
I have a gyro! And a Nexium colored motor with 8 tooth pinion. Direct drive rear rotor. Little table out front for my Li-Po. Thunderbired 9 ESC. I have the coolest fixed pitch helicopter in the world.
Now, I just gotta learn how to fly. I downloaded version 16 of the heli guide, and I'd better start wading through it.
My heli is cooler than an IRS agent's heart. It's so cool, it's cryogenic. But, I sure as heck don't know what brand it is.
PoudreDerf is offline Find More Posts by PoudreDerf
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2006, 07:53 PM
Dizzying Heights
New Zealand, Southland, Invercargill
Joined Feb 2003
1,063 Posts
I have one question. Does the canopy still fit? Also watch out for the LVC kicking in if it aint set right on the ESC. Worst way to lose your copter.
SargeNZ is offline Find More Posts by SargeNZ
Old Jan 07, 2006, 09:08 PM
Berkeley, CA USA
Joined Apr 2001
643 Posts
If you read an earlier post of mine...i had to trim it a little, and that was for the gear and not the battery. The tabs on the new gear are bigger, so you'll have to make the holes longer. I am running it w/ the canopy. The batteries go flat before the LVC kicks in (is that setable?). I did charge it up and had it light enough to require input on the right stick to keep it in place. I'd have been out longer, except it started to drizzle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SargeantSpark
I have one question. Does the canopy still fit? Also watch out for the LVC kicking in if it aint set right on the ESC. Worst way to lose your copter.
Mighty Mik is offline Find More Posts by Mighty Mik
Old Jan 08, 2006, 05:32 PM
What power line?
Rocky Mountains
Joined Aug 2004
3,507 Posts
Pimped heli canopy

Don't know if mine fits yet. I'm still overwhelmed by looking at it "in the nude". I can make a new one, or use one of several I have lying around the house (remember those $50 Century helis?).
Also, I'm aware of the low voltage thing, and I'm even familiar with it from my fixed wing exploits. Thanks for reminding me, though.
PoudreDerf is offline Find More Posts by PoudreDerf
Old Jan 08, 2006, 08:10 PM
Berkeley, CA USA
Joined Apr 2001
643 Posts
Does anyone know what the current draw of the motor is? (or any other stats?) I'm gonna try a slightly porky (weight wise) 2s 1500 battery in it.
Old Jan 09, 2006, 10:31 PM
Now Wren 1701
Wren, MS
Joined Jul 2005
1,329 Posts
Aaaaaahhhhhhhh perfect afternoon to fly outside! 72 degrees and no wind!

Got in about 40 minutes of flying time, plenty of FF, only one minor bump into the ground. Seems like when you get into FFF it's almost like flying a fixed wing. Anybody else think the same? I've started to learn more throttle control when stopping forward flight so that I don't ballon so much, it kinda feels strange to be backing off the throttle that much and still be flying.

What a way to end the day.
Wren1702 is offline Find More Posts by Wren1702
Old Jan 11, 2006, 11:35 AM
Joined Jan 2006
4 Posts
Hello All,

Newbie here, just got my new HB2 FP, and I'm loving it so far. Complete novice to heli's (well all rc in truth). Read a lot on here, and really couldn't wait to get home and had a little test in the office reception. All good so far!!

A quick Q regarding chargers. I have a terrible memory for remembering to switch stuff off, and I can see me wrecking lots of batteries with the included non smart charger.

What a/c input charger would you guys recommend for the NiMh batteries ? (I'm based in UK, so any UK links especially welcome)

TIA

Si
wilburwreckage is offline Find More Posts by wilburwreckage
Old Jan 11, 2006, 02:33 PM
Berkeley, CA USA
Joined Apr 2001
643 Posts
no way to get like a 12 volt @ 5 amp or so supply? Maplin?
Old Jan 11, 2006, 08:24 PM
HeliTown
The Bay Area, California
Joined Aug 2005
1,047 Posts
I am glad to join this thread as another proud HB FP2 owner. I bought it when I got frustrated with my Blade CP. Now even I am cool with Blade CP, I still find time to fly my HB FP whenever I can. It is very stable and durable. I have been flying almost every day (a pack or two) for about three months and crashed about 20 times. Only things I have to replace are one main motor, one tail motor and fixing part of the landing skits - it is every good beginner heli for the money. This heli has entertained me great this winter in the comfort of my home. No complaints what soever for this heli.
Eddiemoth is offline Find More Posts by Eddiemoth
Old Jan 11, 2006, 10:07 PM
Now Wren 1701
Wren, MS
Joined Jul 2005
1,329 Posts
................Got some more outside flying in today, but broke a couple of parts. This morning it seemed like the wind wasn't blowing too much, but it was! Kinda "backed it" into the ground, the torsion on the tail cracked the tube. Flew a little more, smacked the ground again........... Broke a battery holder, knocked a landing gear loose, popped one side of the head off of the bearing. Glued the tail, stuck landing gear back on and popped the bearing back in. Flew this afternoon when it was nice and still. (Note to self: please refrain from flying in the wind! ) Much better in the still air. Actually managed to do some figure 8's...........HOLY COW! I hate to admit this, when I fly fixed wing I'm pretty much a "circuit flyer", ya know........round and round. I really can't explain why I'm doing so much better with the heli than with the fixed wing............wait..........could it be that I'm flying the heli anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour a day..........

OK, I'm hooked............which heli is next?
Old Jan 11, 2006, 11:27 PM
HeliTown
The Bay Area, California
Joined Aug 2005
1,047 Posts
I would think you should get X400 or Trex. If you still want a RTF, go with ESKY HB CP.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 11:29 PM
Now Wren 1701
Wren, MS
Joined Jul 2005
1,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiemoth
I got Blade CP after that but if I have to do it again I would go to X400 or Trex right away.

I've been looking at the Trex today and the Revo.......

Darn helicopters............
Old Jan 11, 2006, 11:32 PM
HeliTown
The Bay Area, California
Joined Aug 2005
1,047 Posts
They are all lovely especially with blings blings, but the only issue I have is money $$$$$$$
Old Jan 12, 2006, 01:21 AM
Berkeley, CA USA
Joined Apr 2001
643 Posts
Get a Trex, then play 'bring the bling'...brushless/lithium/carbon everything
Old Jan 17, 2006, 11:26 PM
Now Wren 1701
Wren, MS
Joined Jul 2005
1,329 Posts
Yep, T-rex looking better all the time.....

Anywho, that's a fer way out......

Haven't been outside to fly since the 11th, darn it. I've had plenty of hover time in, just about have left side in under control and have begun right side in. Hover several minutes left and then change to right and then back left, etc.... Still not as good with the right side hover. Atleast 40 minutes a day and as much as 90 minutes a day flying time since Christmas, I ought to be getting the hang of it.

Perhaps a T-rex 460 XL HDE this summer. Heck the Revo would be a bit cheaper at first, $89 at present, then another $39 for the belt drive tail kit. Up to $128, $40 more and you've got a T-rex kit!
Closed Thread