HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2005, 07:42 PM
WAA-08 Survivor
Joined May 2004
2,642 Posts
Discussion
Mini-Telemaster Aileron Wing

This is the 5th wing I have made for a Telemaster, and it is by far the most successfull. Thought I would post a few pictures and describe the constuction for the benefit of telemaster builders.

This wing only took a couple evenings to build. I used 5/16 x 1 1/4 aileron stock, which comes with bevels and a perfect taper for the telemaster airfoil. It also comes with alot of weight--1.5 oz for the pair, which I got down to 1 oz with lots-o-holes. Built up ailerons would be better, but I was willing to cut that step to keep this a fast and easy project.

I had learned from other wings that less dihidral is better, so I used only about 3/8". Also, I sheeted the center section to increase strength and prevent rubber band damage. One of my telemaster aileron wings folded while doing aerobatics, so for this wing, I let in a 1/8 x 1/4 spruce stick about 2 ribs in length to the trailing edge.

Using full length strip ailerons not only simplified constuction, but allows fast rolls and more control while landing at slow speeds. I was pleasantly surprised how axial the rolls were.

For myself, having ailerons after flying a rudder only ship is like having shackles removed. The plane is more under your control and can turn, crab, roll, fly inverted and handle cross wind much better. But I didn't build this one for me--it's going to be put to use for teaching with a buddy box.

Hope this is helpful and encouraging info. Please post any comments or experience with aileron mods for the Telemaster.

-Steve
Griffin is offline Find More Posts by Griffin
Last edited by Griffin; Dec 29, 2005 at 08:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2005, 09:23 PM
Suspended Account
New York City
Joined May 2005
698 Posts
Nice covering job..
Silent is offline Find More Posts by Silent
Old Dec 30, 2005, 10:24 AM
WAA-08 Survivor
Joined May 2004
2,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent
Nice covering job..
Thanks, I call it "too cheap to buy more covering and need to use up some scraps" My main goal was to have good visibility.

Also, I just saw a mistake that maybe others picked up on. The servo controls arms are angled the wrong way! They should be angled forward to mechanically provide more up than down aileron. Ooops. Sure didn't notice in the air though. -Steve
Griffin is offline Find More Posts by Griffin