HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2005, 06:36 PM
Sponsered By My Wallet!
Colwyn Bay, North Wales, UK
Joined May 2004
5,559 Posts
Question
Maxir vs. Hornet X3D. Any Input Would Be Great!

Before you ask, no, Im not really interested in getting either of these helis in the near future, although, depending on the outcome of this thread, that may change...

Anyway, I quite like the look of the Maxir, I am no were near buying one, but I still think its a pretty cool heli. It is not currently available in the UK (either the heli or spares), and I think it would be pretty cool if it became for sale in the UK, even if it was just so others could buy it.

A while ago, I was talking to one of the guys at a large Heli shop in England (www.midlandhelicopters.co.uk), and mentioned the Maxir. He had not heard of it, so I told him to do a Google search for it. His first reaction was that it looks like the X3D. Now, I didnt/dont know enough about either helis to have a 'debate' with him, but I do know they are very different helis.

So bascially, what are the difference?
How do they compare, in flying, price (initial and spares), durability, performance, and so on?

I hope to email a link to this thread to MH, and hopefully they will be persuaded to start carrying Maxir parts

Cheers, Duane
Minimole is offline Find More Posts by Minimole
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2005, 07:34 PM
FPV Enthusiast
New Brunswick, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,861 Posts
Just looking at the specs (both fly well based on the videos I've seen), both are somewhat expensive (Maxir $245 US from iCARE, X3D $199 from Modefo's) , but the base Maxir includes plastic blades and plastic parts whereas the X3D includes some CF including truly great blades. The Maxir is larger with it's 620mm rotor and 350-420g AUW; the X3D has a 560mm rotor and 340g AUW (Neither state what the AUW includes for components). It's a little disturbing that the X3D has fins that must be glued on to the boom.

You see a little in the forums on the Maxir, but almost nothing on the X3D. The comments on the Maxir range from good to minor fit/finish issues.

Offhand, a possible issue with the Maxir may be the limited dealer network (at least in North America).

I think it's pretty clear that Align's Trex is clobbering the heck out of both of these helis, but I concede that some will want something different and the price won't really be a deterrent.

There's a very nice site on the Maxir which is maintained by Glen Peden (now a Canadian Reseller for Maxir) who frequents this forum: http://www.maxir.logoheli.com/.

Maxir forum Links:
http://www.runryder.com/helicopter/t143791p1/
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343506
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=360028
martinic is online now Find More Posts by martinic
Old Dec 29, 2005, 08:21 PM
ElektroRC.com - MSH,LAHeli,YGE
Pewaukee, WI, USA
Joined Mar 2002
4,605 Posts
225 for the Maxir base at http://www.elektrorc.com in the US, and 200 sale price for the last one right now... 325 for the SE...

The Trex really isn't a micro, by most peoples accounts, contrary to the discussion forum location.

You can also check out http://wiki.elektrorc.com for Maxir construction information...

You can also visit the 'Maxir Construction Thread' I started early in 05.. Lots of pages of good information...

-eP
pwkpete is offline Find More Posts by pwkpete
Old Dec 30, 2005, 03:28 AM
Sponsered By My Wallet!
Colwyn Bay, North Wales, UK
Joined May 2004
5,559 Posts
Thanks for all the info and links guys

Does anyone own both helis? If so, which do you prefer? How do they compare to each other, both flying, and on the mechanical side?

Cheers, Duane
Minimole is offline Find More Posts by Minimole
Old Dec 30, 2005, 04:36 AM
Renewed interest
Melbourne , Australia
Joined Jun 2002
8,950 Posts
Duane, from the guys that have both they seem to prefer the Maxir.
Pete is right the trex is no micro and the maxir seems to be just.
If i ever get the itch to go back to true micro's i would try a Maxir myself, even though i have a part complete X3d here already (and H2, H1)
ozace is offline Find More Posts by ozace
Old Dec 30, 2005, 04:55 AM
Joined Nov 2003
1,762 Posts
supposedly the maxir flies better and handles wind better due to the head design and the slightly bigger rotor disk.

The X3d on the other hand is a pretty streamlined package from all the evolution it has gone through....it includes more carbon parts and less components that need pins through holes to fasten.

It has a one way stock and imo the steel torque tube in the tail is , eventhough a little heavier, a better solution then the carbon rod in the maxir.

All in all, you can't go wrong with either of them.

They aren't as expensive as the trex to setup initially but the parts cost is higher on both....on the other hand they have less parts and eventhough most trex owners would say i'm halicinating i don't consider crashing my hornet to be expensive.

Most crashes result in a bent shaft and a couple of other things that can be made instead of bought.

For example, my last five or six crashes on the hornet haven't cost more together then 10 € or something.

The only thing bad about the X3d package in my opinion is the plastic bell hiller which breaks in every crash UNLESS you stiffen it up with a bolt , which i did. AND the parts that still need to be glued to the tailboom, in my case none as i have 10€ cnc servo mount and made something myself to attach the vertical fin to the boom.
mattijs321 is offline Find More Posts by mattijs321
Old Dec 30, 2005, 07:55 AM
No Dear its not a new one
Joined Nov 2001
2,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozace
i would try a Maxir myself, even though i have a part complete X3d here already (and H2, H1)
Hey thats a pretty telling statement!
I have a MaxiR on order.
I have a Honey Bee KING and I really like it, but everyone says Maxir is the best "out of the box" micro, so I'm pretty sure that justifies it, will only know for sure if my wife ever finds out.

I was looking very hard at the Hornet X3D, I still do, its a very sleek design that makes me want to push "add to cart". Oh, and Eric Larsons web site too

I'm sure I could fly like that if only I had an X3D RIGHT!

Both of these helis seriously su@k in terms of single part costs comparison to T-rex, sorry but thats what the heli flying audience is conditioned to now, thanks Align .

At half the weight do they break as much when they hit??

Lipos are only about 50-55% the cost.

Interesting vid I saw shows a guy doing an "unplanned landing" inverted with Maxir, indoors on concrete, picks it up ,after the walk of shame accompanied by "cheers" from his OFB's and proceeds to fly on. I didnt see THAT on any other website!

The entry cost is high on both of these small helis, MaxiR claims low crash costs, but I hope I don't prove that too soon.

I love my Honey Bee King, and from an engineering standpoint it's minimalist design is exceptionally Colin Chapman-esque in appeal, but I DO have a very small bag for what I think will be left after a crash.........
hotairflyer is offline Find More Posts by hotairflyer
Last edited by hotairflyer; Dec 30, 2005 at 08:04 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 08:45 AM
Pewaukee, WI, USA
Joined Mar 2002
4,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotairflyer
Hey thats a pretty telling statement!

Both of these helis seriously su@k in terms of single part costs comparison to T-rex, sorry but thats what the heli flying audience is conditioned to now, thanks Align .

At half the weight do they break as much when they hit??
Everything s*cks in comparison now! When you order a part on other helis you don't get 3 or 4 to a pack!

When I looked at the parts cost of the Maxir vs the Hornet vs other micros, I didn't see a comparison, the Maxir was very reasonable. I couldn't crash my Hornet for under 80$

Take a look at blade options (18, 28, 38), skid support prices (1.30), parts for the head (most around 1 or 2 $) and tailbooms (13). That isn't cheap?

Of course crash costs all depend on how hard and way you put it in, many crashes only cost me skid supports or CF battery support rods and a bent 2mm spindle (which is very easy to straighten, I have yet to replace one). Put it in tail first or have a boomstrike and costs are different. Ex. last week in the gym, I did a tail slide into a flip and didn't make it out of the flip, it hit tail first. I took out main blades, tail blades, tail boom, tail control rod, tail output shaft. Not too bad overall...

-eP
Old Dec 30, 2005, 09:39 AM
FPV Enthusiast
New Brunswick, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,861 Posts
Guys - The fact the Trex is more of a mini than a micro really is somewhat irrelevant here. Being CP, neither the X3D nor the Maxir will be flown in the house - thus the mention of the Trex is valid in my opinion (The Trex is flyable everywhere these two helis would go - unless your club has indoor weight limits). My point was simply that the Trex far outsells (just about?) everything else. Just look at the indoor events to see what the pilots are flying. The Trex is also a terrific flyer and is much less expensive both in intial purchase and replacement parts costs.

How about the 3D pro or the Esky King? Both are in the same category and both are about half the cost of the Maxir and X3D.

Anyway, I too have considered a Maxir and may yet buy one. For the moment, I am favouring a 3D Pro. I like to fly different helis and in the coming years will be buying as many different ones as I can afford.

So how about more comparative info on the Maxir and X3D?
Old Dec 30, 2005, 09:57 AM
Pewaukee, WI, USA
Joined Mar 2002
4,605 Posts
If you can do hard 3D with a TRex in a small gym, you are a better pilot than most. The TRex seems too big and fast for small places. Someone was over last night buying one for just that reason. So size does matter.

What difference does it make if the TRex outsells everything or not? I thought this thread was about the Maxir and the Hornet ?? There is a market outside of Algns products.

I also had 2 Hornet 2's, one blinged, I sold the Hornets after flying the base Maxir...

-eP
Old Dec 30, 2005, 10:15 AM
FPV Enthusiast
New Brunswick, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,861 Posts
I can't do hard 3D at all - gym or no gym! I do fly my Trex at our Indoor though - I have good control. That said, I was looking at something smaller because there was talk of possible weight restrictions.

Hornet 2s are a generation behind the X3D - is the difference significant?

There's not much of a market left outside of Align at this moment. - that was the point. It was also a minor point. In the context of parts and availability, it is significant. It's odd how you see almost nothing on the forums about the X3D. You actually see more about the Maxir. I think that market saturation by the Trex is likely one of the reasons there isn't much info in the forums on these two helis.

I really like the designed breakpoints on the Maxir - makes good sense. They seem to have put a lot of thought from a pilot's perspective into the design. The fact that it is from a small company justifies the cost premium. It's too bad there wasn't a better distribution and dealer network - perhaps if they were an American company...
Old Dec 30, 2005, 10:23 AM
Texas
Joined Jan 2005
235 Posts
well let's see...I have had 3 trex's and two shoguns...and a maxir..well make that three. I had the very first trex up until they cam with the xl kits..which I had as well. To me the trex is like the raptor...i will tell somone getting in the hobby to get a raptor..even though I have flown better helis in my opinion such as the sceadu...same with micro's i like the trex, but I know the maxir flies better.. I think it is the best micro out of the box that can pull of any stunt and have amazing power..it's like flying a 90 on crack. The trex is a great flying heli..but do the math....no one has bought a trex and flown it stock w/o having to buy upgrades..people go thru motor combinations and metal swashes and metal sliders and etc..before they get it to fly really well...so by the time u have got it flying really well...u have paid for more than a maxir kit by far....the motor for the maxir was built just for that..no motor trying no esc trying..it's simple and it flies very very very well. So as for cost u pay more to get a trex to fly well as opposed to a maxir that does it out the box...do i like the trex..yes..but i would not buy another one as long as i know that the maxir is the ticket.And if u look at the maxir se model..u will know it outshines the trex se and it's alot lower in cost.... with the maxir u can't go wrong...im not saying the trex is not a good copter but for money well spent...go with the Maxir. The electronics cost more on the rex than the maxir, amost twice as much... As for support, Pete from www.elektrorc.com is by far the best sales rep ever ...it's ashame he does not sale nitro's...he gets the parts to u fast and very knowledgeable about the heli....he is a major player in maxir parts in the states and u can trust him!
Dark Poacher is offline Find More Posts by Dark Poacher
Last edited by Dark Poacher; Dec 30, 2005 at 10:31 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 10:55 AM
Pewaukee, WI, USA
Joined Mar 2002
4,605 Posts
Hornet X3d looks like a Hornet 2, with bell hiller, tail mount for servo. Essentially exactly to one H2 I had and without the alu upgrades I had on my other.... Head, frame for the most part hasn't changed since the Hornet CP.

Sure there is market outside of Align, there are sales to prove it.

You don't see a lot of questions about the Maxir, because it just works. All the tough construction points have been documented. There is no tinkering or hacking, most don't have to post questions on line, which also makes it seem like there is very few out there. Probably the same for the Hornet, as all the issues have been rehashed to death over the years.

You get a lot of posts on the TRex mostly because of the experience level of the vast majority of it's purchaserers. Most don't use the search function, or are so excited about their first heli they feel the need to say something. I know the feeling, been there years ago
Old Dec 30, 2005, 11:15 AM
No Dear its not a new one
Joined Nov 2001
2,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwkpete
Hornet X3d looks like a Hornet 2, with bell hiller, tail mount for servo. Essentially exactly to one H2 I had and without the alu upgrades I had on my other.... Head, frame for the most part hasn't changed since the Hornet CP.
IIRC this was a selling point at some time, upgradeability (if thats a word )

Quote:
Sure there is market outside of Align, there are sales to prove it.
And plenty of ads too, I doubt Hirobo or Thunder Tiger are worried

Quote:

You don't see a lot of questions about the Maxir, because it just works. All the tough construction points have been documented. There is no tinkering or hacking, most don't have to post questions on line, which also makes it seem like there is very few out there.
And they both have dedicated forums to if not mistaken....and BTW if you were having delivery issues I'm sure you'd be gettin' roasted here Pete by the guys that expect parts delivered like web pages

Quote:
You get a lot of posts on the TRex mostly because of the experience level of the vast majority of it's purchaserers. Most don't use the search function, or are so excited about their first heli they feel the need to say something. I know the feeling, been there years ago
The BLADE has a lot of posts too....maybe RR will lend us an X3D guy for comments ?
hotairflyer is offline Find More Posts by hotairflyer
Old Dec 30, 2005, 11:44 AM
Pewaukee, WI, USA
Joined Mar 2002
4,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotairflyer
And they both have dedicated forums to if not mistaken....and BTW if you were having delivery issues I'm sure you'd be gettin' roasted here Pete by the guys that expect parts delivered like web pages
I'm a pilot too, I know what it's like to need parts to get back in the air! I ship priority mail 6 days a week, delivery like web pages would be the next step Many of my local friends have Maxirs too, so I'm there to help them as well, and am in it or the long haul. I really like this model, and have yet to find something that I would consider replacing it with. I've flown almost everything out there in this category, not necessarily owned them though, thank goodness!

BTW: I have a day job, and I'm not retiring on this neglegible income, as much as I would like to If you only know how little was in it, or the hobby biz in general...

-eP