HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2005, 12:03 PM
Its only a model.
United States, MI, Clinton Township
Joined Nov 2004
490 Posts
Discussion
Steam tug kit ID

Here is a link to a bunch of pictures of a tug kit with a steam engine in it. A friend of mine is looking to ID the kit and engine. Also looking for advice on the getting the steam plant running. Does anyone know what kit or engine this is? Thanks!

http://pics.boatnerd.com/view_album....umName=album17
Tregurtha1013 is offline Find More Posts by Tregurtha1013
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2005, 12:32 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
9,820 Posts
I have no Idea, but it looks straight forward enough.

Water in the knurled capped spout, steam out the top tube. I would imagine that you want any connections to withstand at least 20 psi in pressure( as high as 80), so wire tieing the connections would be a good idea.

You can figure out the engine by using a can of compressed air. Blow the air into one of the tubes and spin the flywheel and see which one will make it run. Run the exhaust tube through an oil collector and then overboard.

I don't see a burner tray, so if one does not exist, the tray will have to be built. They typically burn sterno, or similar tablet fuel. If you are attempting to steam it up boil the water before you put it into the boiler. That way it won't take as long to heat the boiler and use up fuel.
Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Dec 29, 2005, 01:01 PM
McAlester
Joined Nov 2004
1,370 Posts
For what little it's worth, it's a '1 cylinder' oscilating engine. One input tube will spin the shaft in one direction, the other as an input will spin it in the other direction. The 'valves' are in the flat surfaces between cylinder and mount. They and the piston's shaft (bottom, connected to the shaft through the mount) need to be kept oiled. The 'plumbing' between boiler and engine can be silicon tubing (clear tubing lets you see any water going from boiler to engine, and there will be some). Be prepared to do more cleaning than you'd believe, water, oil, and '?' from the engine's valves. Not much help, but almost my total knowledge about simple steam engines...
- 'Doc
LtDoc is offline Find More Posts by LtDoc
Old Dec 29, 2005, 06:39 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,382 Posts
The boat is the Midwest tug, no longer in production. The engine did not come with it. It was designed for electric. My former father-in-law built one.

Pete G
P_J_Glor is online now Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Dec 29, 2005, 11:28 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,594 Posts
I do believe that is the Saito OB-1 boiler and single cylinder engine package.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Dec 30, 2005, 12:27 AM
Castaic, CA
Joined Dec 2005
1,221 Posts
As mentioned earlier the boat is from Midwest and the engine is the single cylinder Saito. The engine runs very well and should power the boat appropriately. The propeller should be a three bladed around 35mm with a steep pitch. If the fuel tray is not available I would make a tray from brass and use sterno for fuel, it burns quite hot and should run the boat for about 20 minutes.

New to the list.
Steve
steveciambrone is offline Find More Posts by steveciambrone
Old Dec 30, 2005, 12:38 AM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,451 Posts
The boat is a nice looking one; too bad it's out of production.
Welcome aboard, Steve; it's nice to hear from you.
Bill
jeepers1940 is offline Find More Posts by jeepers1940
Old Dec 30, 2005, 01:29 AM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_J_Glor
The boat is the Midwest tug, no longer in production. The engine did not come with it. It was designed for electric. My former father-in-law built one.

Pete G
Or possibly an original Laughing Whale kit. The Laughing Whale produced theat kit from about 1980 to 85, when they sold the design to Midwest. The Laughing Whale also used that hull for a fireboat. The Laughing Whale also produced a 21" Lobster Boat, and used the lobster boat hull for a side trawler, stern trawler and bassboat. The bassboat resembles the Cranberry Isle lobster yacht. Laughing Whale also sold or licensed those designs to Midwest. The Laughing Whale is now part of Bluejacket Shipcrafters.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Dec 30, 2005, 12:36 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
22,594 Posts
Welcome, Steve!

You are just up the road from me. Where do you do your model boating at?
Old Dec 30, 2005, 03:09 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,382 Posts
Steve -- and even a shorter distance from me, in Santa Clarita.

I agree with CGBob's comments regarding teh same basic hull being used for similar models. Before building this tug, my father in law buildt a cabin cruiser that looked like the lobsterboat with a different cabin. I used the "bonding with her dad" card to convince my ex to get out the unbuilt Midwest Trawler kit that had the same hull as this tug.

I know that they also had a little tour steamer based on the same hull as their open steamer. It is sad to see that so many introductory and intermediate level kits no longer being offerred on the market.

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is online now Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Dec 30, 2005, 09:34 PM
Castaic, CA
Joined Dec 2005
1,221 Posts
Model Running

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
Welcome, Steve!

You are just up the road from me. Where do you do your model boating at?
I have been going to Hansen Dam in the San Fernando Valley. The water is clean and clear, access is quite easy for drop off of equipment. There is a group of retired guys, (me not included 45 Yrs old) that meet on Thursdays for an afternoon boating session. I go on my lunch hour to take a break.

I have some Steam boats and electric boats, currently building a Revell Flower class.

Thanks
Steve
Old Jan 01, 2006, 12:10 PM
Its only a model.
United States, MI, Clinton Township
Joined Nov 2004
490 Posts
Hi guys,

My friend with this tug built it a burner tray as it was missing. He has now gotten the engine to function. However once it gets going the engine doesn't seem to have the power to move the tug. We both feel something isn't right as their is a larger tug for sale on e-bay with the same engine! Their are more photos with comments, and even a video of the engine in operation here http://pics.boatnerd.com/view_album....umName=album17

If anyone could offer up more advice on this.... Thanks

Scott
Tregurtha1013 is offline Find More Posts by Tregurtha1013
Last edited by Tregurtha1013; Jan 01, 2006 at 12:11 PM. Reason: typos
Old Jan 01, 2006, 12:47 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
22,594 Posts
Steve, I am going to have to check out that Hansen Dam clan. I used to pass by every day on my way to/from work but on Thursday afternnon I was always makiing a beeline straight home!

You might also check out Lake Balboa inside the Sepulveda Basin and Reseda Park Lake. Both are used on alternating Sunday's by a local boating club:

http://www.losangeles-rcmodelboats.com/
Old Jan 01, 2006, 01:31 PM
Castaic, CA
Joined Dec 2005
1,221 Posts
Looks right to me

Saw your video. It looked right to me. Have you guys tried it in the water yet? Most steam engine run at less than 1000 RPM and running it unloaded like you were in the video does not allow the pressure to build up. What size is the propeller? It looks like the right size.

How was the burner tray made, and what fuel are you using? Personally I would scrap the original anyway and make a simple tray and fill it with sterno it burns just as hot as Methanol and it will not leak or spill in the boat while underway.

I always add a condensate tank on my engines exhaust to catch the oil and water and let the steam pass out the stack, otherwise you might end up with an oils slick on the pond your running.

Thanks
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tregurtha1013
Hi guys,

My friend with this tug built it a burner tray as it was missing. He has now gotten the engine to function. However once it gets going the engine doesn't seem to have the power to move the tug. We both feel something isn't right as their is a larger tug for sale on e-bay with the same engine! Their are more photos with comments, and even a video of the engine in operation here http://pics.boatnerd.com/view_album....umName=album17

If anyone could offer up more advice on this.... Thanks

Scott
Old Jan 01, 2006, 03:21 PM
Detroit
Joined Jan 2006
65 Posts
Hi guys, thanks for the advice.

The engine and tug are mine. I'm using sterno for the fuel, here's a picture of the burner. http://pics.boatnerd.com/view_photo....17&id=DSCF2741

It will build steam and start out running at a high RPM and then quickly fall to a slower RPM. At the slower RPM it will spin the prop out of water but as soon as it hits the water it stops.

One final piece I am missing is some type of oil reservoir, it can be seen in this picture of the same engine in another model.
http://pics.boatnerd.com/view_photo....r_engine_mount
4bells is offline Find More Posts by 4bells
Last edited by 4bells; Jan 02, 2006 at 12:04 AM.