HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2005, 08:11 PM
I'd rather be flying...
New York City
Joined May 2005
1,131 Posts
Discussion
anyone know an esc that does not CUT off motor as a battery protection?

anyone know an esc that does not CUT off motor as a battery protection?

my align esc 35 amp is cutting off way too soon and causing crashes sometimes. i want an esc that i can disable this feature or that it does not have it at all. any one know of any? websites please!
djdaveq is offline Find More Posts by djdaveq
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2005, 09:06 PM
-Flight enthusiast_
Lake Louise, AB, Canada
Joined Feb 2000
3,567 Posts
Hi there,

I love my TMM controllers and aslo sell them at littlheli.com The heli controllers do not cut off, but start flashing the super-bright LED to tell you to bring it on home. The warning voltage is programmable. Also, it has a very strong (up to 4 amp) BEC. I normally stock the TMMŪ 4012-3 HEL (just sold last one), as does my distributor, and wonder if your heli exceeds 25 amps constant or 30 amps for 5 seconds:

http://www.mgm-compro.com/main.php?i...12-3heli&m=122

Otherwise I might suggest the TMMŪ 4012-3 HELI or the TMMŪ 4016-3 HELI

Cheers!
Glen Peden
LOGOmania
MaxirMania
MaxirManiac's Forum
gpeden is offline Find More Posts by gpeden
Old Dec 28, 2005, 11:48 PM
I'd rather be flying...
New York City
Joined May 2005
1,131 Posts
i am running the new 430 3550 kv from align with a 35 amp esc from align im not sure if a 25 will do or do i need a 35?
Old Dec 29, 2005, 12:04 AM
A-4 nut!!
Vancouver B.C.
Joined Apr 2002
4,664 Posts
How do you know it's not your battery?

Your asking for trouble if you do not have some kind of low voltage cutoff. There are ones out there that will slowly cut back on the voltage allowing you to land.
skyhawk is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk
Old Dec 29, 2005, 12:31 AM
I'd rather be flying...
New York City
Joined May 2005
1,131 Posts
cause i got 3 brand new fully charged TP batteries! i know when to land as far as the flight time i dont need my motor to cut to tell me, id rather wrek a battery than my heli
Old Dec 29, 2005, 12:38 AM
Get back here, you!!
Santa Ana, California
Joined May 2005
606 Posts
Castle Creations Phoenix ESC's LVC can be programmed at either specific voltages, or can be disabled completely. Keep in mind their BEC's can be a little marginal, and some people have problems getting Governor mode to work.

Brent.
bikenboatn is offline Find More Posts by bikenboatn
Old Dec 29, 2005, 01:01 AM
New zealand
Joined Aug 2005
92 Posts
im haveing that problem too. flying along then the heli turns into a brick, not good
Kris NZ is offline Find More Posts by Kris NZ
Old Dec 29, 2005, 04:24 AM
Sponsered By My Wallet!
Colwyn Bay, North Wales, UK
Joined May 2004
5,559 Posts
Get a lipo alarm.
Trust me, they are worth evey penny they cost.
If you can, get one with a buzzer, like the one from www.customidea.com

Duane.
Minimole is offline Find More Posts by Minimole
Old Dec 29, 2005, 05:14 AM
Akershus, Norway
Joined Mar 2005
1,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdaveq
my align esc 35 amp is cutting off way too soon
I can almost guarantee you that this is completely wrong. I trust you are running a standard 3S setup. Your Align esc have possible LVC at 60, 65 and 70% of voltage.

Since you want it without cutoff I guess you are running on 60% which means your cutoff is at 12.6*0.6=7.56 volts which is much too low for proper battery protection. 70% would give you 8,82 volts which is still too low.

So if you have problems with esc cutting you are most surely ruining your batteries. (Been there, done that, with Align esc)

The 3550 is much more demanding on your batteries than older align motors.
What TP packs do you have?

Hwvr the Align esc is not supposed to cut, just reduce power so you can land...

Oh yeah. As MM says, get a Lipo alarm and stop flying at least when you reach 9V but preferably 9.3 or more which is a good while before esc will cut.
(And Customidea's one is good which I told them and they asked me kindly to let others know too, so I do, free of charge I have 2, one in each Rex, they go off a good while before the esc cuts...

Remember even if remaining voltage after flight is abv 9-9.3V it's still going a bit below this while flying if esc cuts and that is damaging, no doubt...
Tintin is offline Find More Posts by Tintin
Last edited by Tintin; Dec 29, 2005 at 05:20 AM.