HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2005, 02:34 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,525 Posts
Trade Show
Who is going to the AMA Convention/Trade Show in Ontario, Ca Jan 13-15?

So, who among us is going to the AMA Convention 2006 at the Ontario, CA Convention Center Jan 13-15?

http://www.modelaircraft.org/amaconvention.asp

I'm going to SoCal for a work trip for the two weeks bracketing this date and will be there Friday only.

Also, what is the scoop in indoor flying there? Is there flying like last year? Is it vendor/mfg demos only, or can anyone fly? The web site either does not have that info, or has carefully hidden it.....

The vendor list looks fairly similar to last year.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2005, 04:18 PM
Pedal Faster
USA, CA, Visalia
Joined Apr 2004
137 Posts
I will be going down to Ontario on Thursday, be there all three days.
Will be three of us sharing space in the Swap Shop area.
I mostly watch the tables while others go to the restroom or the show

Im not positive, but I think its only exhibitors or pilots flying for the exhibitors
that are allowed to fly there.
MT4 Display Only is offline Find More Posts by MT4 Display Only
Last edited by MT4 Display Only; Dec 28, 2005 at 06:00 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 04:45 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,358 Posts
I'll be there as the Lead Air Traffic Controller like last year. The flying will be limited to vendors/factory pilots demonstrating their stuff. I know most of these guys and they're great pilots.
While it would be fun to allow anyone with an AMA card to fly it just isn't workable.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jan 07, 2006, 06:04 PM
Sponsored by credit card
Webster, NY
Joined Sep 2005
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood
I'll be there as the Lead Air Traffic Controller like last year. The flying will be limited to vendors/factory pilots demonstrating their stuff. I know most of these guys and they're great pilots.
While it would be fun to allow anyone with an AMA card to fly it just isn't workable.

mw
Understandable but still a shame
Marmitas is offline Find More Posts by Marmitas
Old Jan 11, 2006, 09:18 AM
Pedal Faster
USA, CA, Visalia
Joined Apr 2004
137 Posts
I guess theres not much interest in the Biggest RC Show and Sale on the West Coast. In the most highly populated area of the state of California.
I wouldnt have thought that before.
MT4 Display Only is offline Find More Posts by MT4 Display Only
Old Jan 11, 2006, 09:30 AM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,525 Posts
I think there is plenty of interest in the show, but not so much in discussing it on this thread...
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Jan 11, 2006, 10:08 AM
Use the Force!
San Marcos, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,179 Posts
I will be going on Friday. Hey Mark, I a trying to get Travis to come along, he has never been to an RC show before so it should be a blast for him!

Lucien
LBMiller5 is offline Find More Posts by LBMiller5
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 11, 2006, 10:48 AM
P-61 WWII Night Fighter
Sylmar, CA
Joined Jan 2004
1,538 Posts
I'm going. I live over an hour away. My wife wants me to drop her off at the Ontario Mills Mall. This could be a very costly weekend. Last year it rained during the weekend and it might this weekend. If you can't fly you might as well go. I bought nothing last year but picked up a lot of free magazines. I have a ton of unbuilt stuff already.
Solcat is offline Find More Posts by Solcat
Old Jan 11, 2006, 12:50 PM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
I plan to go on Friday also. I also have too many unbuilt kits, but last years AMA show turned out to be a good place to buy carbon fiber and other supplies at low prices.

I remember the rain last year. The freeway was an, erm, interesting experience that day, with heavy rain, enough water on the road to get my car hydroplaning if I exceeded 50 mph, and the usual juggernaut SUVs driven by apparently homicidal drivers attempting to do 80 mph in conditions better suited to 40 mph.

Back to the AMA show itself, there is one big-budget RC item I am interested in, and I don't know if it will be sold at the AMA show or not. That item is the new Spektrum DX6 transmitter combo. I've been shot down by other pilots on the same channel twice in the last six months, and lost precious hours of flying time waiting for "my" frequency to be clear. The DX6 promises to put an end to all that...irresistible!

I have also been considering getting an AMA membership, mainly because without it I cannot fly at any local electric flight events.

-Flieslikeabeagle
flieslikeabeagle is offline Find More Posts by flieslikeabeagle
Old Jan 11, 2006, 12:52 PM
P-61 WWII Night Fighter
Sylmar, CA
Joined Jan 2004
1,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flieslikeabeagl
I plan to go on Friday also. I also have too many unbuilt kits, but last years AMA show turned out to be a good place to buy carbon fiber and other supplies at low prices.

There is one big-budget RC item I am interested in, and I don't know if it will be sold at the AMA show or not. That item is the new Spektrum DX6 transmitter combo. I've been shot down by other pilots on the same channel twice in the last six months, and lost precious hours of flying time waiting for "my" frequency to be clear. The DX6 promises to put an end to all that...irresistible!

I have also been considering getting an AMA membership, mainly because without it I cannot fly at any local electric flight events.

-Flieslikeabeagle
I think that you get a couple of dollars off admission with an AMA membership.
Solcat is offline Find More Posts by Solcat
Old Jan 11, 2006, 12:55 PM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Good to know! I don't suppose that will apply to me this year, though.

Now if we all had RC Groups T-shirts, we could look even more dorky than usual, and have the chance to run into other folks we normally only know in cyber-space.

-Flieslikeabeagle
flieslikeabeagle is offline Find More Posts by flieslikeabeagle
Old Jan 11, 2006, 10:08 PM
Kat Builder
Bellflower, Calif.
Joined Apr 2004
712 Posts
Hi Folks...

I am going on Saturday, and will be having breakfast first at the "HomeStyle Cafe", located at the Gustii winery, just a mile or so away.

I have an Attractions Operator shift at DisneyLand at 4pm,so I'll be there in an Indiana Jones costume. Look for the "hat" !

I'll be at the resturant at 8:30am, and would love to "break-fast" with any and all that would like to come.

We used to do that at a local resturant before the "IMS" show in Passadena each year.

Bob Reynolds
ComeUpHere
Bobber Bob is offline Find More Posts by Bobber Bob
Old Jan 11, 2006, 11:21 PM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,411 Posts
Hey Guys I will be there fri. when the doors open
Scott
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Jan 11, 2006, 11:38 PM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,929 Posts
I'll be there all three days helping Mark in Air Traffic Control. I bought one of those scrolling LED displays Batteries America was selling last year and it's now programmed to read: HI, I'M PETE OR PGR ON RCGROUPS.

I'm going to stick it on Mark so everyone slaps him instead of me.

PETE OR PGR
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Old Jan 12, 2006, 11:51 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,358 Posts
Just wearing a Mark Wood on the badge can get you slugged.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood