HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 05, 2002, 02:54 PM
Virginia
Joined Jun 2002
5 Posts
Question
About U.S. Aircore trainer

Hi:
I plan to buy U.S. Aircore Trainer, but need more information to make my final decision.

1. Is it hard to build this aiplane?
2. How about her fly performances?
3. How about her materials? as stonge as the manufactory said ?

Many thanks
tw3c is offline Find More Posts by tw3c
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2002, 04:01 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,517 Posts
Well it's been a while since I built one. They are now made by Great Pains, and from what I hear from a guy at the field who used to love them; the quality is way down. He no longer flies them.

So based on my past experience.. I built the Bipe:
1) I am used to building balsa planes, and this was my first experience with this type of construction. I found it very easy to build. I don't like the servos attached directly to the same piece of wood that the motor is though. Just personal prefernce.

2) The bipe flew like a bipe. Slow and sloppy. When it got really warm out, things got weird. It was a good "cool weather" plane. I have flown quite a few of the trainers for guys though, and they flew fine. Not as good as a built up trainer or modern day ARF, but they flew fine.

3)Well this all depends on how you crash. Personally I think they are the toughest glow plane out there. I have seen all sorts of crashes and only once did I see an engine break off the wooden mounting plate. THese things really do bounce. A few guys at our club used the low wing one as an introduction to a low wing. THey were figure 9ing these left and right. Snapping in on take off, and landing, you name it. Within a few minutes the wing was back on and they were flying again. 99% of the time they didn't even break a prop. If you nose it in, expect some moderate damage though.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Jun 05, 2002, 06:43 PM
Boone, Iowa, United States
Joined Feb 2002
300 Posts
I learned to fly on this plane and assembly is pretty easy. It can definitly take some abuse. My opinion is go to www.spadtothebone.com and get some plastic and build a few of there plans much easier to build and cheaper.
denverone is offline Find More Posts by denverone
Old Jun 05, 2002, 09:58 PM
New Bedford, Ma. USA
Joined May 2001
1,413 Posts
There are a few at my club and one is for a newbie still on the trainer cord, That one has come down hard a few times and the most damage was a dent in the wing from hitting a tree, However they don't fly very good and all of them tip stall real easy and they glide like a lead baloon. If you do get one you will want to streangthen up the tail section because it tends to flop around a bit but on the good side, It will take the abuse with little to no damage.

Dauntae
Dauntae is offline Find More Posts by Dauntae
Old Jun 05, 2002, 10:20 PM
dusty bible = dirty life
Oklahoma City OK USA Where fakts still exist even if they are ignored
Joined Aug 2000
2,774 Posts
I've been teaching r/c basics for five years now. The one fold and fly trainer that made it to our field was fine as a buddy box trainer. It was much faster and Heavier that the Kadet LT40's we like to use for training. As the other post said it works LT 40s and Midwest's recently rereleased aerostar are much better.
Majortomski is offline Find More Posts by Majortomski
Old Jun 06, 2002, 06:22 AM
Virginia
Joined Jun 2002
5 Posts
Many thanks

Hi guys:
Many thanks your opinions, and have good fly days.
tw3c is offline Find More Posts by tw3c
Old Jun 10, 2002, 11:36 AM
Dave Segal
Philadelphia PA USA
Joined Jun 2001
547 Posts
The problem with planes like this as well as the "flying drainpipes" is that they are based on the wrong philosophy. A model should not be designed to crash well, it should be designed to fly well. And that means a low wing loading for a trainer which you will get in a conventional balsa-based design. There is a mainstream approach to learning to fly RC and it is best to stick with the tested items that are used by nearly everyone.

Dave Segal
Dsegal is offline Find More Posts by Dsegal