Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 27, 2005, 11:34 PM
KC5UH transmits -------->
Arlington, Texas
Joined Aug 2002
678 Posts
Idea
Cox micro warbird assembly

I've just had a really stupid thought - or is it?

I've read a number of threads on putting these little birds together, and saw that quite a few people were not happy about having to glue the fuselage halves together with all the electronics made non-removeable. There were several fixes for the battery problem.

Here's the thought - how about using several magnets to hold the fuselage halves together . I would think that 4 or 5 neodym buttons would do the trick, or is this adding too much weight?????????

David
ham2405 is offline Find More Posts by ham2405
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2005, 11:38 PM
Helena, MT
Joined Feb 2003
2,913 Posts
Sounds like a good idea to me! Weight of those small mags has got to be very small. People use them for canopies, wings, cowls so why not fuse halfs!

Nice thinking there.
LTChip is offline Find More Posts by LTChip
Old Dec 28, 2005, 08:32 AM
Hold my beer and watch this!
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2005
2,380 Posts
That is a great idea, except for the cost. I know they're not that expensive, but remember that these are $20 planes.

One could try hot glue, though it might be hard to get small dots here and there and get it together before it dries.

Velcro could also work, as long as the builder realizes that he will have to recess one side so that it fits together well. (just as with the magnets, right?

Good idea. I'll keep it in mind when I eventually get mine.

Jeremy
Jeremy Z is offline Find More Posts by Jeremy Z
Old Dec 28, 2005, 06:44 PM
zagnutz fiend
tulsa,ok
Joined Jul 2004
1,426 Posts
I am currently working on a tab lock system for this very reason. I have three different ideas to try.The simplest seems to be small tabs and receivers,then closing it like a clamshell,and the wing holding it together by glueing one wing pin receiver in each fuse half.
stirlingnut is offline Find More Posts by stirlingnut
Old Dec 28, 2005, 07:16 PM
Helena, MT
Joined Feb 2003
2,913 Posts
Magnets are cheap. I have a ton of extra ones from my motor building attempts -so to me they are a sunk cost. I will be trying this when I get one of these birds. I think in-setting the mags would ensure a flush meeting of the fuse halves.
LTChip is offline Find More Posts by LTChip
Old Dec 28, 2005, 08:37 PM
Arlington, Texas
Joined Aug 2002
678 Posts
Since it seems that it's not too crazy an idea, the devil is now in the details!

I've been comtemplating this since last night - should we try magnet to magnet or magnet to small metal plate, like a piece of 'tin' can (everyone knows they are really steel ). I'm thinking of an 'L' shaped piece of can - shove one leg into the foam, wick in some foam-safe ca, and the magnet can stick to the other leg which would be flush with the surface.

As for holding the magnets in place - is the black rubberized ca glue foam safe? I know RTV will work, just takes 24 hours to cure.

Location, location, location! I'm looking at my P-47 fuselage...... One above the motor, one at the wing LE, one under the canopy, one at the wing TE and one in the tail????

Heck, while we're at it, let's hold the wing on with magnets .

David

Edited 3 minutes later........... here's a detail I overlooked until now . The tail feathers are glued to the fuselage, so there'd need to be a cutaway line in front of them on one half of the fuselage . That might weaken the tail too much.
Last edited by ham2405; Dec 28, 2005 at 08:43 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 08:54 PM
Thanks Wilber and Orville !.
San Jose Cally
Joined Jan 2004
1,031 Posts
I would scuff up the magnet and use 5 min epoxy.
Their is a need right now for a lightweight, expanding, 4 minute cure time glue(foam safe)
with a debonder. The sales of the stuff would be on fire, epoxy and beads is close.

I am going to try gecko paw hair on mine...LOL
Two part probond......be born already.............LOL
I will shoot bordon foods an email .
Please add magnetic paint to the list. Pete
sonic liner is offline Find More Posts by sonic liner
Old Dec 28, 2005, 09:07 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,471 Posts
Check these out, Disc D1002 http://www.engconcepts.net/List_Of_Disc_Magnets.asp a pair at 2'' spacings ,i reckon would the job. and only $4 per 100.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Dec 29, 2005, 11:51 PM
Arlington, Texas
Joined Aug 2002
678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod
Check these out, Disc D1002 http://www.engconcepts.net/List_Of_Disc_Magnets.asp a pair at 2'' spacings ,i reckon would the job. and only $4 per 100.
Actually, I think the D1007 would be a better choice - easier to handle and made of N38 rather than N45 strength. These are $4.50 per 100 and $3 to ship. Anyone want to join me in an order??

As far as the wing, I've got some 8mm x 3mm N?? magnets that I estimate require 10-12 oz of straight pull to separate from the surface of my metal desk. That should be more than enough to hold the wing!

I was also looking at the tail feather problem closer. I think there is enough surface on one side of the fuselage to support the horizontal stab and there is also enough of the fin slot for one side gluing.

David
Old Dec 30, 2005, 12:04 AM
Registered Boozer
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Sep 2003
1,768 Posts
Not trying to put a wrinkle in your plans but what about the tail feathers? How would you affix them?

-Ralph-
Ralph_D is offline Find More Posts by Ralph_D
Old Dec 30, 2005, 09:51 PM
Arlington, Texas
Joined Aug 2002
678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_D
Not trying to put a wrinkle in your plans but what about the tail feathers? How would you affix them?

-Ralph-
Glue . I mentioned this problem in #6 and in #9 I stated what I believe to be the solution.

David
Old Jan 02, 2006, 08:02 PM
Joined Dec 2004
14 Posts
Hello, I bought the P-51. I'm planning on gluing the halfs together but I'm going to make the wing removeable by slightly grinding out the guide holes so the locating pins are a slip fit and use small 1/8 cube magnets to hold the wing in place. I'm going to do this so that I can change the Li-Poly pack out.

Does anyone know of any 2s-300mah li-polys on the marked? Most of the 340's I have come across are just a little bit to wide for slipping in and out through the bottom?

Thanks Greg336
Greg336 is offline Find More Posts by Greg336
Old Jan 02, 2006, 09:00 PM
Registered Boozer
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Sep 2003
1,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg336
Hello, I bought the P-51. I'm planning on gluing the halfs together but I'm going to make the wing removeable by slightly grinding out the guide holes so the locating pins are a slip fit and use small 1/8 cube magnets to hold the wing in place. I'm going to do this so that I can change the Li-Poly pack out.

Does anyone know of any 2s-300mah li-polys on the marked? Most of the 340's I have come across are just a little bit to wide for slipping in and out through the bottom?

Thanks Greg336
The wing is already removeable, you just snap it in and pop it off. Also, putting the battery under the wing will most likely result in the plane being nose heavy. You are much better off cutting yourself a hatch in the front of the plane and putting the lipo in the nose.

-Ralph-
Ralph_D is offline Find More Posts by Ralph_D
Old Jan 02, 2006, 10:27 PM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
This might help...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=48
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Old Jan 02, 2006, 10:45 PM
überprüfen Sie Ihre sechs
Central Utah
Joined Feb 2005
480 Posts
I used rubber cement to join the halfs and made a hatch in the nose for the battery, you can pretty much get to everything this way, and if you have to split the halfs again, an exacto should make it easy. I didnt glue one half of the snap nuts to make this easier. cutting a hole thru the fuse under the canopy and making it removeable completes the process.
czechyour6 is offline Find More Posts by czechyour6