HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2005, 03:55 PM
2013 GRAND SPORT CORVETTE
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,201 Posts
Discussion
Flying-Hobby.com APLUS and APLUS 300 Product Review

Thanks to Fung and Hong Kong Express Mail Service, several nice packages of enticing new microheli kits and bits made their way to what's left of the Mississippi Gulf Coast and my skunkwerks just prior to this Christmas holiday.

Several months back, Fung asked if I would be interested in assisting him with the development and introduction of a new micro e-heli that would be unique and only available from his shop initially. I have no financial interest in this venture and the only compensation I am receiving for the hours I invest is in the form of free prototype product. I would like to think that those who have read my other review articles and threads know that I am candid ( much to the dismay of some of the big boys I have done reviews for in the past) and honest even if I am not right 100% of the time. With this as a foundation let me point out that I have some of the first production articles out of the manufacturing plant that Fung has making these helicopters. As such, you will get to see anything and everything that I find and report to Fung as areas needing attention. First glance, seems to indicate a thorough job has been done by the Flying-Hobby team in developing the APLUS (entry level) and APLUS 300 (fully upgraded) micro helis. A lot of nice features and some innovation being seen for the first time on a micro. I anticipate that the majority of my recommendations will be focused on a few small missing bits here and there and a few areas in assembly for the factory built modules that require a bit of quality assurance. If major issues are uncovered they will be shared here along with the resolution for all to see and understand.

This will be great fun. So let's start with some pics of both helicopters.

Cheers - Boyd
AMA 80393
Major USAF
Retired
Soon to be a retired Northrop Grumman Senior Scientist also
Hoverup is offline Find More Posts by Hoverup
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2005, 04:28 PM
Joined Mar 2005
1,691 Posts
contact303 is offline Find More Posts by contact303
Last edited by contact303; Feb 15, 2006 at 04:30 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 04:48 PM
Old new guy
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Sep 2004
3,152 Posts
This is an exciting project, I'm REALLY looking forward to your writeup on this heli.
TheX is offline Find More Posts by TheX
Old Dec 27, 2005, 05:14 PM
Sponsered By My Wallet!
Colwyn Bay, North Wales, UK
Joined May 2004
5,559 Posts
Looks very nice Boyd, looking forward to updates
Minimole is offline Find More Posts by Minimole
Old Dec 27, 2005, 05:57 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,801 Posts
Boyd, just curious as I have seen 2 of these already. Are these something he is distributing or making?

The ones I saw where smooth and light. NOT MADE FOR CRASHING.

FB
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Dec 27, 2005, 06:23 PM
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Bronk
Boyd, just curious as I have seen 2 of these already. Are these something he is distributing or making?

The ones I saw where smooth and light. NOT MADE FOR CRASHING.

FB
Like all good flying machinery, these are built to fly and not to crash. Fung is having his design variant of a base line heli manufactured by a plant near his location and he will be the sole source. Anyone interested in being a reseller should contact him as that is beyond the scope of this thread. If I get any of this wrong, I know Fung will chime in and set the record straight.

Cheers- Boyd
Old Dec 27, 2005, 10:02 PM
Whaddya Mean, I Procrastinate?
United States, MA, Webster
Joined Feb 2003
2,486 Posts
Hi Boyd:

GREAT NEWS !!!

You have what seem to be a couple of really neat machines to build, test and critique ! Many of us are anxiously awaiting your continuing excellence in reporting your findings.

I hope you had a great Christmas, and best wishes for a Wonderful New Year.

Chat later,

Russ ....
MiniBoy is offline Find More Posts by MiniBoy
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2005, 10:48 PM
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniBoy
Hi Boyd:

GREAT NEWS !!!

You have what seem to be a couple of really neat machines to build, test and critique ! Many of us are anxiously awaiting your continuing excellence in reporting your findings.

I hope you had a great Christmas, and best wishes for a Wonderful New Year.

Chat later,

Russ ....
Thanks for that Russ.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 11:12 PM
Up and Dowwwwnn
Tampa, FL
Joined Jul 2004
411 Posts
Goody goody, I will def. have to stop by ur place this time around Hoverup. I have to see this thing. Cant wait for the updates.

Virat
Virat is offline Find More Posts by Virat
Old Dec 28, 2005, 12:16 AM
Renewed interest
Melbourne , Australia
Joined Jun 2002
8,950 Posts
Come on Hoverup, i want to read more
Should be flying by now, i hear the weather is great over your way now
ozace is offline Find More Posts by ozace
Old Dec 28, 2005, 12:26 AM
Joined Dec 2003
1,580 Posts
yes
fung is offline Find More Posts by fung
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 28, 2005, 01:14 AM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Very wild looking rear rotor support. Looks like it will work extremely well. Anyway you can some-what mount the canopy and let us see what she's gona look like when all finished?
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve
Old Dec 28, 2005, 02:19 AM
E-Copter
Paris / Nice, France
Joined Aug 2002
2,091 Posts
Hi,

as Boyd, i'm testing actually the Aplus 300. I have the chance to have the "old" version and the " new" version, in order to look at what was improved between the prototype and the production version.
Here is a pic of the new version kit, and a pic of the old version with canopy( different rotor head, different tail and swashplate guide support, 3 mm shaft, different gears).

Private Joke to Boyd: are you sure you will have time to deal with the second toy coming up loool ?

This is Boyd's post so i'll not post too much on it but i can give you the major differences between old and new version.

So new version has a 4mm shaft (3 mm on old). The rotor head is different, bigger blade grips, new central hub with o rings inside for dampening ( you can adjust by removing or adding o rings) new bell hiller slider guide (2 levers instead of the traditionnal 2 pins you loose in flight sometimes...), new bell hiller bar holder, new tail design with very nice cinematic and no slope at all, the landing gear carbon frame are slightly bigger and stronger.
The swashplate guide support is modified and something nice is that you can adjust the flybar phasing now, very cool for extremely high RPM fliers, it will allow to modify the phasing if needed.
There is a new motor too. And all the parts are polished / chromed, very nice looking heli.
The new version has a slightly longer tail boom too, and it changes totally the heli handling and gyro effect ( tail lever effect is very big on micro helis).

Here are the pics, Boyd if i can be of any help

Bye,
Fabien

Bricobrac is offline Find More Posts by Bricobrac
Old Dec 28, 2005, 02:42 AM
Joined Mar 2005
1,691 Posts
contact303 is offline Find More Posts by contact303
Last edited by contact303; Feb 15, 2006 at 04:30 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 03:03 AM
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,201 Posts
Thanks Bricobrac.