HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2005, 08:30 AM
Joined Nov 2005
26 Posts
Discussion
1/96 ThorDesign Permit and WTC

Hi everyone,

It took a little bit, but I finally managed to borrow a digital Camera to take some shots of my current project: a 1/96 Uss Permit hull kit from ThorDesign with scratchbuilt WTC using the Re Circulating Air Ballast System invented by dr. Art Broder.

Here are the description for each photo, starting from the top one:

Picture 1: this is the main hull painted in gray primer and with the sail, rudder and diveplanes assembled
Picture 2: the stern of the hull with the rudduers/diveplanes and some pen marks to locate the center of the stern to later accept the propeller shaft
Picture 3: these are the two main WTC sections, cut from 2.5 mm PVC, that will house almost all of the electronics. The longer one is the rear section (motor, rudders/diveplanes servos, APC, Electronic Speed Controller, Failsafe);
The smaller one is the front section for NiMh batteries and a mini servo to actuate the air valve/switch unit for the ballast system
Picture 4: an internal view of the WTC section showing the ABS rails glued to the tube to support the equipment rack
Picture 5: here are the two plexiglass equipment racks. The longer one is for the rear sections and already has a slot machined in it to accept the Main Propulsion Motor. The shorter one is for the front section
AdriaticSea is offline Find More Posts by AdriaticSea
Last edited by AdriaticSea; Dec 27, 2005 at 08:49 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2005, 08:46 AM
Joined Nov 2005
26 Posts
Here are few more shots:

Picture 1: here are the WTC sections placed together. This is what the finished and assembled WTC will look like. The central gray PVC section is to house the air compressor to inflate a blood pressure bladder that will sit in the empty space above the gray tube between the front and rear section. The bladder will control the buoyancy of the submarine.
Picture2: here is a shot of the end cap master model built from plexiglass. the brown material on top is a layer of cardboard I added to make the cap a little thicker. I made it smooth with automotive nitro putty (the green stuff) and sandpaper. The o-ring will be axially compressed in the step between the two discs to seal the wtc.
Picture 3: these are the motor supporting braces, built from aluminium foil cut and bent to 90 °. They will later be drilled to accept four 2mm nuts and bolts.
Picture 4: a shot of the mold box I'll use to pour the liquid urethane rubber (from Smooth-On) and make the mold to cast my end caps from urethane liquid plastic.
Well, that's all for now, I'll get other shots when I go ahead with the building. So far, I managed to do all the parts without the use of a lathe, but I'll probably use it (a friend of mine could help in this) to make the bearing/Simmerring holder for the propeller shaft.
This is my VERY first project with RC submarines, and for sure a lot of things can be improved, so comments and suggestions are welcome!
BEST REGARDS MAURO
AdriaticSea is offline Find More Posts by AdriaticSea
Old Dec 28, 2005, 04:04 AM
Germany
Joined Nov 2005
339 Posts
Hi Mauro,

it looks like a fine boat. Hurry up, still a lot to do and only 5 months untill Großbreitenbach. Would be to bad, if You need to drive my Gotland, because Your boat isn't running

Lothar
Tijgerhaai is offline Find More Posts by Tijgerhaai