SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 05, 2002, 11:39 AM
Columbia, South Carolina, United States
Joined Feb 2000
2,569 Posts
My New 83' U-Boat VIIC

I just aquired a VIIC. Its a whopping 83 inches long and Im doubting it will fit in my Camero. The hull is a 32nd Parallel with all custom scratch built Tower. The deck is brass along with all control surfaces. The boat is a later version which has the snorkel seen in fromt of the tower. This allowed the boat to run on diesal motors and stay submerged while the batteries charged. The boat has auto leveler,auto depth,subsafe and running lights and sound. I also have a operational torpedo system which can fire 2 torps but I doubt Ill ever use it. The boat was already built and Ive spent the last day doing an extensive weathering job. Rust,oil,waterline and scrapes along the sides. The sub has a ballast system which allows it to submerge to any depth without forward speed. First trials planned later this week.
JIMJAM is offline Find More Posts by JIMJAM
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2002, 11:42 AM
Joined Feb 2000
2,569 Posts
Close up of the wintergarden. All antennas and periscope extend. The periscope has a cork on the bottom which allows it to extend,float and always remain just above the surface. Neat idea.
Old Jun 05, 2002, 09:39 PM
USA, OH, cambridge
Joined Sep 2001
1,003 Posts
I'm jealous!! Great looking boat. Did you buy it local? I am still trying to acquire a OTW model of the same boat.
Good luck with your new "toy".

Frank
fgroza is offline Find More Posts by fgroza
Old Jun 05, 2002, 10:17 PM
Joined Feb 2000
2,569 Posts
Im always looking for nice subs but in this case someone tracked me down. I lucked out cause its really well made and super detailed. If I had the skill and talent of the builder, I would order the OTW today. They say building is half the fun but summers here and now I can terrify the local wildlife and fish.
Old Jun 06, 2002, 12:21 AM
Just an average RC'er
Laurel, Maryland USA
Joined Aug 2000
4,291 Posts
That is a really beautiful sub. Show us some pics in the water!
Jim McPherson is offline Find More Posts by Jim McPherson
Old Jun 06, 2002, 12:41 AM
Angering mobs since 1980.
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Sep 2001
2,929 Posts
Jim,

That is just too much! I bow to the original build for I am not worthy!
Twmaster is offline Find More Posts by Twmaster
Old Jun 06, 2002, 12:41 AM
Joined Feb 2000
2,569 Posts
I took out the torpedo system out the front so Im going to rebalance tommorow. The boat has 2 separate water tight containers with the one in the front controlling all the extras such as sound,lights,torpedoes and raising the snorkel using a second reciever. I took a pic and changed it to black and white,blurred it and it looks like an old u-boat photo. The sub was made as the U-480 and was featured in a subcomitte report and also won a show or 2. I basically weathered it real good cause I like a boat that looks salty and been on a patrol or two. Ill be sure to take some good lake photos and if visibility is good, a few submerged shots.
Old Jun 06, 2002, 12:49 AM
Joined Feb 2000
2,569 Posts
Heres a pic showing some weathering I did. Rustall and blackwash. Used silver and aluminum to add dings and scrapes along the sides. Also did some white wash streaking along the sides and added a waterline,smoke and oil stains. The deck is brass.
Old Jun 17, 2002, 06:11 PM
Joined Jun 2002
10 Posts
beautiful boat

First time on here. Just wanted to say what a nice looking boat that is.
Casey Thrower is offline Find More Posts by Casey Thrower
Old Jun 17, 2002, 07:47 PM
Joined Feb 2000
2,569 Posts
Welcome! This is really a great place to post and just look around. Ive been lonley here so glad to see you and hopefully others jump in.
Old Jun 22, 2002, 03:54 AM
Oregon
Joined Mar 2002
9 Posts
i want to fire torpedos can you tell me how or does someone have a sub that fires them they want to sell ?
wonder is offline Find More Posts by wonder
Old Jun 22, 2002, 08:46 PM
Norway
Joined Jun 2002
9 Posts
Real nice!

Real nice sub. And i will also say hi to all posters on this board![COLOR=red]Regards
bo@ti
bo@ti is offline Find More Posts by bo@ti
Old Jun 22, 2002, 10:09 PM
Joined Feb 2000
2,569 Posts
Here is the torpedo system. The tanks are filled with super duster or simular. A switch on the radio opens a vlave which blast the 8 inch torpedo out the front doors. There is another better way to do it which the torpedo itself holds the compressed air. Im considering going that route cause its lighter,reliable and the torpedo travels a further distance.