HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2005, 01:24 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Discussion
Can I use 3M "45" instead of 3M "77" on EPP Foam.

I am building a Hobby People "Wild Wing" made of EPP Foam. I need to lay out the Red packing tape on the top of the wing & was wondering if I should spray some 3M adhesive on the EPP foam before I start taping it up? Is it OK to use 3M "45" General Purpose spray adhesive on EPP type foam or do I need to lay out the $10 to get the 3M "77" spray??

-Thanks-

Mike
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2005, 03:23 PM
The Original Slacker
Bristol, TN
Joined Apr 2005
768 Posts
You most likely will need adhesive of some sort as tape doesn't want to stick and stay on EPP. Molded EPP I think is worse in this regard. As fasr as I was told you have to use the sticker 3M Super 77 to get it on good.

Spray a light dusting, you will see little fiber "hairs" on the surface. Let that coat dry for about 15-30 minuets. Then do another light coat or two and then fiber tape followed by the colored packing tape after the 77 dries a bit. We use the 90 on the fiber mesh (non fiber tape) method.

Hope that helps but if I'm wrong someone will chime in...

-Dave
Pezzer is offline Find More Posts by Pezzer
Old Dec 26, 2005, 03:54 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Thanks, the reason I was asking is that I used the "45" on the balsa elevons with the tape & it seemed to work fine. The "45" can says not to use it on Expanded Polystyrene Foam, is EPP the same thing?

- Thanks -

Mike
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
Old Dec 26, 2005, 04:00 PM
The Original Slacker
Bristol, TN
Joined Apr 2005
768 Posts
That was in reffrence to EPS, Expanded Polystyrene. I think the 45 melts it or at least deforms that type of foam. The 77 is, of course, safe for EPP and I think EPS too.

EPP is Expanded Polypropylene if I remember correctly. Diffrent but similer acting polymer. EPP is better for crushing resistance and EPS is better at tearing resistance. Each is not good for the other property thats why some early wings were a combo of EPP on the leading eadge and EPS for the main wing. EPP to resist the crushing of a leading edge crash and EPS for the main body as it is cheaper and I think a bit lighter too.

Good luck and clear skies!

-Dave
Pezzer is offline Find More Posts by Pezzer